[Mod]-Remnants

New mod releases.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Amy
Green Beret

[Mod]-Remnants

Post by Amy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:00 pm

Well, as most of you guys know, i am looking greatly into map design. Moisture was my test of using swordedit to place together scenery to make good gameplay maps. Now, i present you with REMNANTS.

Remnants takes place on an asteroid field- what remains of Reach. Remnants is very symmetrical supporting Covenant Turrets and a Banshee. Remnants combines the 3 forms of combat. Close Quarters: inside the asteroid, where you can travel un-noticed to the enemy base. Very cramped inside there, so watch it. Medium: On the main stretch, you can have AR, Plasma rifle, and pistol fights like never before. Sniper's Dream: You can teleport to the surrounding asteroids to be a sniper taking out the unlucky people who are trying to get flag traveling above ground.

CONFIGURATION:
Normal CTF and SLAYER have two covenant turrets, spawning on 2 sniper asteroids. when you enable more, eventually all the sniper asteroids will have turrets on them, and if you do maximum, then there will be a turret guarding your flag as well. Banshee will always spawn unless you don't spawn at least 2 banshees in your Gametype. NOTICE: GAMETYPES KOTH AND RACE WILL HAVE UNREACHABLE POINTS ALSO AR RETICLE IN PICTURE IS NOT IN THE ACTUAL MAP

I would do KOTH and Race points, but i crashed the scnr editor on eschaton.

Pictures:
Map overview
Inside asteroid (ladder up to main asteroid)
Stretch Asteroid

Anyways, enjoy this new map.

Map layout:
Floor arrows teleport you to the way they are pointing (from asteroid to asteroid)
Green teleporter base on sniper asteroids teleport you to the middle of inside asteroid
Green teleporter base on top of middle asteroid lead you to banshee asteroid
Ladder leads you up/down the asteroid.

EASTEREGG:
Remember, this is Reach, you are a spartan who used to live here. Maybe...just Maybe you might be able to find the old Spartan Lounge, the place where you used to spend your time....

BUGS: i think there is one failspawn on blue team. If you find it, just move it.

Map: http://www.filefront.com/15537251/Remnants.zip/

If you have any Questions or Comments, please PM me or post here.

-Amy.
Last edited by Amy on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Noodle
Delta Force

Re: [Mod]-Remnants

Post by Noodle » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:03 pm

I've said it before, but great job. This is a major leap in your map design.

And I have like 500 betas in my halo demo folder now that I will delete.

RXA
Operative

Post by RXA » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:05 pm

Wow! Dling now! :D

Kiyoshi

Post by Kiyoshi » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:25 pm

looks k, but i hate the AR reticule. Disgusting. I'd download, but i have so much beta shit from HRMT that i can't toss i don't feel like sparing the room.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:39 pm

oh, the AR reticle is mine >_> AR reticle is not internalized, lol don't worry.
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Noodle
Delta Force

Post by Noodle » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:39 pm

That ar recticle is part of her crazy bitmap thing she's got going. *shrug*

But uh, it's not actually part of the mod.

Pakar45
Veteran

Post by Pakar45 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:37 pm

:shock:......

:D looks great amy, good job!

Sugarlumps
Ranger

Post by Sugarlumps » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:43 pm

Interesting...i wonder where you got those giant rocks?

Dling now
Click!

G[v]N
Green Beret

Post by G[v]N » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:38 am

Interesting.

From an aesthetic point of view, this map is amazing- with a background story to match. The ladders with teleporters are a nice touch.

However, gameplay is where (I imagine) it starts to go wrong; the interior of the asteroids are exactly the same, with makes it very easy to lose your bearings. Naturally I haven't play-tested this, but people will (most likely) get very frustrated.

Now, as for the placement of weapons and the corresponding 'advantages'..I imagine (yes, again) the sniper rocks, with a complete view of the whole 'upper' map, is already imbalanced; add to that the fact there are teleporters within easy reach- if I were sniping and were being attacked, I could just tele to the other side, shoot, etc. And if you had *capable* teammates in the turrets- that's the end of the other team.

So that limits passage to the 'lower' map, which serves to worsen said problem- the lack of direction inside the asteroids.

Well, that's what I think- you should try hosting and see what really happens.
Moxus wrote:Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.

The creator at School.

Post by The creator at School. » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:45 am

i played a 4 game server, it worked very well.
The turrets dont have much cover, and are easyly sniped by another sniper or close ranged.

The inside is a lot harder to travel, but has more cover then the snipers.

Thanks for the review though!

Mota-Lev
Green Beret

Post by Mota-Lev » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:51 pm

Did you put that egg in the place we found in the Beta???

Also will dl when I get home and see if anyone is online to play with right now I have TAFE.
Stupid tinypic removing my images

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:23 pm

Yeah : D

(btw i took out the fag tree)
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Moxus
Delta Force

Post by Moxus » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:26 pm

It's good to see that you did make some improvements from when I Beta-tested the map a while ago, but a lot of the problems still remain:
  • • While it's good to have varied terrain present in a level, the interior of the map is still too cluttered to navigate easily; you need to clean up and smoothen out the interior of the asteroids so that players can easily move within the space.

• While a unique and creative idea on the surface of the asteroids, I find the teleporter ladders to be an additional source of clutter on the asteroid's interior. Keep it clean!

• The teleporters on the top of the Sniper and Turret asteroids are almost too close together; if you're walking around that area, it's easy to accidentally go through one or the other. Moreover, it might be best to make the destinations of the teleporters a little clearer: because the arrow teleporter is the only one seeming to go in the direction of the center asteroid, it always catches me off guard when I end up on the adjacent sniper asteroid.

• You need to expand on the map's geometry; there are too few paths and means to navigate the map. Therefore, you need to add geometry so that players can have more variation in how they move about and engage in combat.
I'd also like to re-iterate some of Grav's criticisms:
  • • As Grav pointed out, its really easy to get disoriented in the interior of the asteroids. Try adding some light beacons or colored objects to help players get a bearing on where they are.

• You really can't afford to have 4 Snipers on the map; there's just too much open ground for a spawning or spawned player to have a real chance against 4 high-damage, portable weapons. That said, because the Shades are stationary and fire slower projectiles, they can probably stay.
In short: just like when I beta'ed it, Remnants needs work.

-=Moxus=-
Kayar wrote:The Collective: Spamming its way to a better tomorrow.
Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:30 pm

Well, i made the inside base of the two asteroids different (one with a broken ladder)

Anyways, thanks for the review.
MGM Sig

Fortune
Ranger

Post by Fortune » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:32 pm

Looks interesting. I like the story line a little.
ᕦ( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° )ᕤ

Visiting this website is filled with nostalgia. Its like going to an old home.

Thank you for all the memories. Never change.