[MOD] Desert Multigulch

New mod releases.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Sparky
Delta Force

[MOD] Desert Multigulch

Post by Sparky » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:33 pm

Download

Four desert bloodgulch terrains and your survival skills! Features photorealistic sand textures for the terrain, an abundance of vehicles and a large map size! Weapons include the AK-47, socom pistol, plasma claws, sniper, medkit, and smoke and flashbang grenades. Includes two versions: normal, and without extra grenades.

CTF will be a challenge. I've also moved around all the vehicles (now all warthogs) and enabled all ~70 spawn points so that you spawn all around the map no matter which gametype you use.

I also messed with the king of the hill markers, but not enough to be of much use or fun. For now, just play CTF and Slayer gametypes.

Tell me what you think!
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Sparky
Delta Force

Re: [MOD] Desert Multigulch

Post by Sparky » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:37 pm

Hosting now.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Smythe
Commando

Post by Smythe » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:38 pm

BSP looks good...... CE though.... not that i care AND NOT THAT ANYONE ELSE SHOULD!
this map would have to be..... well massive!
CAn't join because need to go to school D:

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:48 pm

It's a sniper's playground, which makes it feel smaller than it actually is. Good luck scoring a CTF point!

EDIT: Ok, just post here if you're hosting a game with this mod. I'm not going to stick around in-game all day...

Moxus
Delta Force

Post by Moxus » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:33 pm

Originally, Moxus wrote:By the picture, it looks like a mass of really jagged geometry, with some beige bitmaps, two BG bases, a few logs, and a CE AK-47.

:|.
After a brief test, I revise my outlook; the map has some potential to be an interesting desert-type level, the kind of which we really haven't seen in Full or Demo. However, some major issues include the size of the map (way too large for players to traverse on foot), too few vehicles (I couldn't find a Warthog), and extreme lack of cover in areas.

Good, but a long way to go.

-=Moxus=-

P.S. The AK-47, Modded ODST pistol, and Energy Claw don't really add to the game-play or appearance of the mod. They're kinda random.
Kayar wrote:The Collective: Spamming its way to a better tomorrow.
Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:26 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, Moxus!

The original theme is to make it like you're stranded (I know, not so original) in the desert with only your AK-47 and sidearm, but I thought I'd throw in the claws for good measure (or not so good measure, I should remove 'em).

The grenades are messed once again. Is there any non-buggy way to accurately add both grenades to the starting armaments?

The map is smaller than it seems - the MP clan and I were testing it (special thanks to Deadelous and CJ and others of the MP clan, and chief, for testing it with me) and the snipers/ak47 are balanced by smoke nades and flashbangs. You can still snipe all around, though.

My next desert mod will be the huge wall-less bloodgulch map with really big sand mountains, like it is in the real deserts. I'll likely use different textures for that one, since the mountain ranges are so extensive.

Lack of cover is intentional, I want players to feel like they could get lost in the map. In fact, I might just make a new map entirely so that none of the terrain is familiar to any of us beforehand... and so we can really get lost ;) For cover, use smoke nades.

Also, there should be at least one warthog at every base.

The red team bases are in the middle of the map, blue team bases on the outsides of the map.

Sugarlumps
Ranger

Post by Sugarlumps » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:21 pm

Pretty fun, but the lack of vehicles made it rather bland.
Click!

Sugarlumps
Ranger

Post by Sugarlumps » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:26 pm

In other words:
During slayer, spawn points are all around, and some spawn points are very far from vehicles. Maybe putting one vehicle per base? Instead of 2 on one half of BG?
Click!

Moxus
Delta Force

Post by Moxus » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:59 am

Sparky wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, Moxus!

The original theme is to make it like you're stranded (I know, not so original) in the desert with only your AK-47 and sidearm, but I thought I'd throw in the claws for good measure (or not so good measure, I should remove 'em).

The grenades are messed once again. Is there any non-buggy way to accurately add both grenades to the starting armaments?

The map is smaller than it seems - the MP clan and I were testing it (special thanks to Deadelous and CJ and others of the MP clan, and chief, for testing it with me) and the snipers/ak47 are balanced by smoke nades and flashbangs. You can still snipe all around, though.

My next desert mod will be the huge wall-less bloodgulch map with really big sand mountains, like it is in the real deserts. I'll likely use different textures for that one, since the mountain ranges are so extensive.

Lack of cover is intentional, I want players to feel like they could get lost in the map. In fact, I might just make a new map entirely so that none of the terrain is familiar to any of us beforehand... and so we can really get lost ;) For cover, use smoke nades.

Also, there should be at least one warthog at every base.

The red team bases are in the middle of the map, blue team bases on the outsides of the map.
  • 1. Being able to plainly kill anyone from anywhere leads to very repetitive, un-interesting play; in such a map, there are none of the quirks that make game-play distinctive and interesting.

2. It seems like you've missed my point; this map is already too large. If you make another one which is even larger, you're just going to make it harder for people to get from place to place. Such is the key lesson that was learned from Infinity in Halo Full: you can only make a map so large before it becomes too large to function effectively.

3. Players generally don't like getting lost; they like to know where they are so that they can have some sense of where and what they're headed for.

4. Sure, smoke grenades are great at keeping people from pinpointing you, but they also put up a massive flare to anyone else who may not have been aware of your location. When the smoke fades, everyone knows exactly where you'll be.

5. Perhaps with a game-type, but in general play, there aren't many Warthogs around.

6. In having Blue bases on the exterior of the map and Red bases on the interior, it becomes really easy for the Blues to surround and spawn-kill the Reds.
-=Moxus=-
Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.

Ranger
Location: Forerunner Cartography Installation 330, making new maps!

Post by 2310 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:47 pm

I love huge oversized maps! ^_^

Anyway, that's just my personal opinion, and as others said, there need to be more vehicles. Did you remove banshees?
The lack of vehicles does seem to force people to not move too far, hence making it great to be a sniping-themed map, because in real life snipers shoot from a range beyond what can be travelled easily.

The AK and SOCOM and plasma claws hence seem kinda pointless. (They're medium range ... and do snipers usually use really close range weapons?!) You might want to add a shotgun, AR, or other close range weapon as a backup instead, especially for Slayer. Different types of sniping weapons like a beam rifle or rocket might be good. Artillery-type weapons might also work, due to the size of the map.

Also, deserts naturally don't have lots of cover. :P But more cover would be better for gameplay purposes.

wernarner84
Peon

Post by wernarner84 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:50 pm

Yeah, maybe add a rocket launcher/mortar cannon to bombard the enemy base with.
TaxiService wrote: Not the mod, but the fact that you did actually learn how to do some basic things! 0_0
I am very happy for you, Human! i hope to see more of you!

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:24 pm

Version 2.0 is out, with more cover on the extremely vulnerable log between the gulches. I also added a hog ramp between two towards the back of the map (near red flag) that lets you drive from flag to flag. I 'fixed' the grenade bug (started from the unmodded version) and added 4 of each grenade type to the bases. Bullets can travel much further now also, making the pistol and AK-47 no longer medium-range weapons. Many testers have given me really great suggestions. I think this is going to be the final version, though, because I'd like to stick to the theme of "you're lost in the desert with only your AK47 and sidearm".

Regarding the artillery-type weapons, that's what the MG hogs are for! (good luck vs. the snipers though ;) )

I also fixed the warthog spawn points so they are closer to the ground - to avoid lag - and a bad red team spawn point that MP Daedalous pointed out the last game.

New screenshot! (See above.)

Ranger
Location: Forerunner Cartography Installation 330, making new maps!

Post by 2310 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:47 pm

Sparky wrote:Version 2.0 is out, with more cover on the extremely vulnerable log between the gulches. I also added a hog ramp between two towards the back of the map (near red flag) that lets you drive from flag to flag. I 'fixed' the grenade bug (started from the unmodded version) and added 4 of each grenade type to the bases. Bullets can travel much further now also, making the pistol and AK-47 no longer medium-range weapons. Many testers have given me really great suggestions. I think this is going to be the final version, though, because I'd like to stick to the theme of "you're lost in the desert with only your AK47 and sidearm".

Regarding the artillery-type weapons, that's what the MG hogs are for! (good luck vs. the snipers though ;) )

I also fixed the warthog spawn points so they are closer to the ground - to avoid lag - and a bad red team spawn point that MP Daedalous pointed out the last game.

New screenshot! (See above.)
Nice! Is it possible to make a map similar to Epitaph?

Instead of just the top, like in Halo 3, fall damage will be nulled and players spawn along the seven paths during Slayer. A rocket and sniper rifles will spawn at the top of the tower, and ARs and shotguns scattered in the sand below. During CTF, the red flag will be at one end of the path, and all the red team members will spawn along that path. Blue team's flag will spawn at the top, and blue team members will all spawn at the top, trying to keep red team out with sniper rifles. They will assault using the rocket, and red team will have the advantage of vehicles and close range weapons.

The map will be about 7km wide and 2 km tall.

Is that even possible? (The real world ... is huge, right?)

Smythe
Commando

Post by Smythe » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:44 am

No it's not possible...... not because it's impossible but because nobody will take that undertaking.

Moxus
Delta Force

Post by Moxus » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:15 am

2310 wrote: The map will be about 7km wide and 2 km tall.

Is that even possible? (The real world ... is huge, right?)
In a Warthog, it would take you several minutes to get directly from one side of the map to the other. On foot, it would probably take you around 10-15 mins to walk (if not more).

This isn't the real world; this is a video game based on fun. And players have shown time and again that they don't enjoy having to walk exorbitant distances to reach other players or objectives. It's just not fun.

-=Moxus=-