No votes
No
No votes

Total votes: 2

Sparky
Delta Force

[MOD] Space Slopes

Post by Sparky » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:41 pm

I can't decide which name to give this mod, so I gave it two: Slanted Headshots, or Space Slopes. You decide which is more suitable.

EDIT: I removed headshots-only damage and so I'm keeping the name Space Slopes. You can also die now when you fall off a ledge.

I started with my space template and this is what I came up with. Enjoy!

Only head shots do damage. Recommended to be played on CTF or Slayer. Vehicles are disabled.

...wait, how did that Halo Full pic get there? ;)

Download

P.S. No CE content, only some walls and a green blinking light beyond the demo content.

Can you find the active camo powerup?
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Moxus
Delta Force

Re: [MOD] Space Slopes

Post by Moxus » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:17 am

Interesting map idea; the slopes make the in-game physics really fun to play around with. That, and having the Motion Tracker in the middle of the screen is a really neat little quirk. I'd like to see how this plays with a medium to large game.

Usual Critiques Section:
  • • Having all the teleporter entrances at the bottom and the exits at the top of the slopes makes it really easy for snipers to pick people off; they know where they're going, and if they don't kill them before they go through the teleporter, they know exactly where to aim when the player pops out. Some variety would help.

• The teleporters themselves don't really allow the map to flow well; because of the distance between the entrances and exits, if you want to get somewhere it takes a really long time. And, as before, the predictable path in a sniper match makes you a hot target while hopping down the slope. Improving or diversifying the teleporter and/or map geometry would help get a better flow on the go in the map.

• When I was at the top of the long ringed slope, I couldn't see the rest of the map; because of the distance, Halo didn't render the scenery until I was about 3/4 of halfway down. This is a significant disadvantage to people who might be trying to snipe from such a vantage point.
I also had a minor issue with a Blue base teleporter, but I don't think it's a permanent problem. If you were to have at those issues, this would be a really clever map.

-=Moxus=-
Kayar wrote:The Collective: Spamming its way to a better tomorrow.
Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:04 am

Moxus wrote:
  • • When I was at the top of the long ringed slope, I couldn't see the rest of the map; because of the distance, Halo didn't render the scenery until I was about 3/4 of halfway down. This is a significant disadvantage to people who might be trying to snipe from such a vantage point.
I also had a minor issue with a Blue base teleporter, but I don't think it's a permanent problem. If you were to have at those issues, this would be a really clever map.

-=Moxus=-
The clipping issue works both ways - it allows snipers near the border to use it as cover (to hide above). I could subtract 150 from all the z-coordinates to eliminate the problem, though.

Do you think the asteroid field provides enough cover, or should I add more?

Any ideas for variety of the teleporters? I discovered that you can access the middle platform by using the rightmost corner of each team's platforms. With the red base, the greenlight portals are random, or every other invisible entrance will take you to the middle. With the blue base, there are only three access points to the middle. Perhaps I could make some new middle areas amidst the asteroid field...

What's the issue with the blue portal you mentioned? The crossway portal spawns you atop an asteroid at each base, and falling off those asteroids is harmful. Is this the issue?
Moxus wrote:
  • • The teleporters themselves don't really allow the map to flow well; because of the distance between the entrances and exits, if you want to get somewhere it takes a really long time. And, as before, the predictable path in a sniper match makes you a hot target while hopping down the slope. Improving or diversifying the teleporter and/or map geometry would help get a better flow on the go in the map.
Notice how you run faster than normal. This helps when dodging sniper shots. Also, I'm considering having players spawn out of view, falling down a shaft from above so that they have time to get oriented and make their spawn locations more variable and covered. I will likely stick with the cryptic portal system as this will also disguise future locations, once I shift things around a little.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Ranger
Location: Forerunner Cartography Installation 330, making new maps!

Post by 2310 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:50 am

This has got to be the scariest mod I've played because I keep feeling I'm about to drop off into space. (And I don't have a fear of heights.) :P

Apart from that, like Moxus mentioned, it takes a really long time to get anywhere, making it almost impossible for CTF. (I haven't figured out how to get from base to base yet ....)

Instead of the teleporters sending you back to the top of the wall you were walking on, perhaps they should send you to an asteroid. (Perhaps the asteroids could be big enough to walk on, so you can put in and out teleporters on them?)

The clipping effect only happens at the ends of the map, but does seem a little strange to see planks pop out of thin air (space?) and could have a disorienting effect. I'm fine with it though.

Moxus
Delta Force

Post by Moxus » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:54 am

Sparky wrote: Perhaps I could make some new middle areas amidst the asteroid field...
That would be a stellar idea.
Sparky wrote:What's the issue with the blue portal you mentioned? The crossway portal spawns you atop an asteroid at each base, and falling off those asteroids is harmful. Is this the issue?
I probably fell off the asteroids.
Sparky wrote:Notice how you run faster than normal. This helps when dodging sniper shots. Also, I'm considering having players spawn out of view, falling down a shaft from above so that they have time to get oriented and make their spawn locations more variable and covered. I will likely stick with the cryptic portal system as this will also disguise future locations, once I shift things around a little.
Sounds good; I didn't take into consideration the faster strafing.

-=Moxus=-
Kayar wrote:The Collective: Spamming its way to a better tomorrow.
Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.

Fortune
Ranger

Post by Fortune » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:16 pm

Looks cool.
ᕦ( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° )ᕤ

Visiting this website is filled with nostalgia. Its like going to an old home.

Thank you for all the memories. Never change.