[App] HConsEnabler - Console for Halo Demo

Halo modding and gaming related applications.
Amy
Green Beret

Re: [App] HConsEnabler - Console for Halo Demo

Post by Amy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:06 am

uhh i have a new problem.

It crashes soon as i type in anything...
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:52 pm

I updated the application a little bit to version 1.01 (and source code). Basically, sometimes I found caching to fail for whatever reason, or the addresses change over time..Weird.

Anyway, you can now make it do a long reliable search if you hold down command key right after you enter in your password. That means the progress window comes up..

In other words, if the app stops working for enabling the console, and if you don't want to turn caching off with Terminal like I said above, hold down the command key right after entering in your password.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

G[v]N
Green Beret

Post by G[v]N » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:34 am

So this is basically like the Quake console? Except you ENABLED it? \o/

<3 to nil and Greazy :3
Moxus wrote:Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.

Ranger

Post by 002 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:04 pm

Not necessarily. The Quake console is a COMPLETELY different console. It has very little similarity to the Halo console.

You cannot "cvardump" in Halo, you cannot "bind" in Halo, you cannot "set" in Halo, you cannot "noclip" in Halo, you cannot "sv_cheats 1" in Halo, the list goes on.

Another example of a difference is rcon. In Quake, you just needed to set "rconpassword" to the rcon password and then you can use "rcon <COMMAND>". In Halo, you need to reenter the rcon password ("rcon <PASSWORD> <COMMAND>").

Also, Quake has so many more commands than Halo. Most people only use a few of them such as "set hostname", "set sv_motd", etc. In Halo, most of the commands are used such as "sv_kick", "sv_ban", "sv_players", etc.

I wonder how to get a list of players in Quake. What command is it?
edit: "status" is the command I wanted

Also, the Quake console is activated by default in most games.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:06 am

It would be possible to make a single application that both enables the console and provides a user interface to use the console. Buttons, sliders, lists, and long string lengths would be the interface rather than a DOS-reminiscent text-only console.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:42 pm

Sparky wrote:It would be possible to make a single application that both enables the console and provides a user interface to use the console. Buttons, sliders, lists, and long string lengths would be the interface rather than a DOS-reminiscent text-only console.
Silly things are often possible. The console is really not that hard to use. Sure, it has a learning curve. An external GUI application for all the console commands may be a big pile of mess. Even if such an application is made, the console is more accessible to the player. For console commands that demo servers don't allow you to execute but that are very useful, check out HServerChanger & HClientChanger. More useful things could be added to HChangers really, but that's only because Halo Mac's network & console code sucks compared to the PC version. (On a more practical scale, there's no point anymore in adding features to an application targeted to Halo Demo, which is so close to death in my eyes).
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:17 am

:cry: *sigh* What a sad thing.

Is there an app able to convert maps from Demo to Full, at the moment?
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Mota-Lev
Green Beret

Post by Mota-Lev » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:04 am

I don't think there is but I reckon the best bet would be pearl...
Stupid tinypic removing my images

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:15 am

Modzy: would be so kind to code Learp? :o Is it a tedious thing to do?
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Modzy
Green Beret

Post by Modzy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:12 am

TaxiService wrote:Modzy: would be so kind to code Learp? :o Is it a tedious thing to do?
Lastest version of Pearl 2 beta could do this to some maps. Check out the thread to see what I was working on.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:00 am

To clarify, Halo Demo has been so close to death for a long while, even perhaps before it was realized that rosetta was no longer being included in Lion. By this, I mean, the death of clanhalo, clandistrict, along with the px clan's activity, dedicated competitive servers (much unlike sparky's), etc, are dead or have worsened. The only reason I can't say it's completely dead is because there are a very few that still actually play, and it's largely because of my software like HConsEnabler and HChangers that helps it live longer. Without the majority of players who actually play the game and are actually good at it, mods are targeted to really no one meaningful at all, and truly great mods can not be created by modders who don't understand the competitive spirt of the game, nor by those who have never grasped the competition of say participating in a battle against top clan players, nor those who can't understand why actual players think Triforce is a good mod.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:57 pm

nil wrote:To clarify, Halo Demo has been so close to death for a long while, even perhaps before it was realized that rosetta was no longer being included in Lion. By this, I mean, the death of clanhalo, clandistrict, along with the px clan's activity, dedicated competitive servers (much unlike sparky's), etc, are dead or have worsened. The only reason I can't say it's completely dead is because there are a very few that still actually play, and it's largely because of my software like HConsEnabler and HChangers that helps it live longer. Without the majority of players who actually play the game and are actually good at it, mods are targeted to really no one meaningful at all, and truly great mods can not be created by modders who don't understand the competitive spirt of the game, nor by those who have never grasped the competition of say participating in a battle against top clan players, nor those who can't understand why actual players think Triforce is a good mod.
This reminded me of my resignation in 2008.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.