MDRenamer - Make Mods for HaloMD!

Halo modding and gaming related applications.
nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

MDRenamer - Make Mods for HaloMD!

Post by nil » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:10 am

Enter in a unique short name and build number. Then you select the mod you want to rename, and it will export the mod into your MD maps folder - also revealing the mod in Finder.

Basically, if you are interested in creating a mod for MD - you need to use this tool. If you're converting a mod using Pearl, the latest version has MD renaming functionality built-in.

If you want a tutorial on how to use MDRenamer and how to create a MD mod, check this thread.

Download
Last edited by nil on Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 16 times in total.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Sparky
Delta Force

Re: Port Your Mods to HaloMD!

Post by Sparky » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:48 am

nil wrote:The advantage of this approach is that Halo can properly report the mod that is being hosted - the swapping isn't done on disk, it's done inside the executable. With HaloMD, you can host a modded game (the ui.map titles it as "Modded" currently), a newbie can join it. If the newbie doesn't have the mod, HaloMD will ask the newbie to download it, all with the click of a button. Games will only show up if they're in the database, or if the user also has the map file.

HaloMD will also occasionally alert users in a non-obstrusive way that a new update of your mod is available. A pretty good bonus.

No real knowledge is required on the user's end.

CSS is a thing of the past.
I'd like to put forth a reminder of Samuco's earlier work in using a third-party application to synchronize mods. HaloMD is a wrapper application for the modded executable of the Halo Full UB developed by MacSoft, whereas what Samuco was doing was using a separate map synchronization utility with MD5 checksums on the map files (instead of giving the maps unique names).

MediaWiki software (HaloDemoMods.com's wiki) is not ideal for uploading files, especially for the purpose of uploading the same map file with slight changes as a new name. For example, if you upload Floodgulch.zip, then you make an update to the Flood Gulch mod, you would re-upload the mod as Floodgulch.zip and change the version number on the Mod Database page and on the mod's unique page (an example being http://www.halodemomods.com/wiki/Bloodgulch_Extreme). If you uploaded it as floodgulch_1.zip and updated the version, you would need to go back and "delete" the older version of the mod. Otherwise, you could reuse the file page and simply track the latest version's upload date/time.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

zapconquest
Ranger

Post by zapconquest » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:48 am

Sweet, I was just wondering how to get that to work and then this post pops up. Thanks.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:46 pm

Sparky wrote: I'd like to put forth a reminder of Samuco's earlier work in using a third-party application to synchronize mods. HaloMD is a wrapper application for the modded executable of the Halo Full UB developed by MacSoft, whereas what Samuco was doing was using a separate map synchronization utility with MD5 checksums on the map files (instead of giving the maps unique names).

MediaWiki software (HaloDemoMods.com's wiki) is not ideal for uploading files, especially for the purpose of uploading the same map file with slight changes as a new name. For example, if you upload Floodgulch.zip, then you make an update to the Flood Gulch mod, you would re-upload the mod as Floodgulch.zip and change the version number on the Mod Database page and on the mod's unique page (an example being http://www.halodemomods.com/wiki/Bloodgulch_Extreme). If you uploaded it as floodgulch_1.zip and updated the version, you would need to go back and "delete" the older version of the mod. Otherwise, you could reuse the file page and simply track the latest version's upload date/time.
Samuco's third-party app thing is inadequate. It requires administrative capabilities, more hacking-ish than this, network requirements, will lag servers, won't scale will a large mod collection, an extra app running, etc. This server model, it being on HDM, is much nicer, too.

If we do not use mediawiki for uploading mods, then what else would be used?

I know you can upload a mod with the same name, which will have a 'newer' version according to the wiki, but I do not really care about that - other than screwing up an upload / making a mistake. I am also saying "no" to delete older versions. Older versions can still be accessible in the database, and should be for mod updates to work correctly.

[EDIT]: @Sparky. Actually, for the database, if you want me to store the downloadable files in some FTP directory (in /halomd ?) rather than mediawiki, I'd be fine with doing that. That way, people can upload zip files however they want on wiki, and I can move/rename them however I want into the database directory.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:54 am

I just want to take the time out to appreciate how awesome this is. Nil this is what many have dreamed of, great work.
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:53 pm

Nil, MD is growing! Me and taxi were on the other morning(for me), and we had 16 people playing. I just checked and there were 16 people on the dedi again. This is great!
Yarok wrote:There may be a giant dildo protruding from your forehead.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:41 pm

This isn't finished yet, but I have to use a different computer now so I might as well release it.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?k7hw5cq3dbci2ch
Name: "Halo: The Multiplayer Experience"
Version: 0.8
Description: Play the first part of the second campaign level in multiplayer! Have huge battles in your favorite campaign level.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:12 pm

Mgalekgolo wrote:This isn't finished yet, but I have to use a different computer now so I might as well release it.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?k7hw5cq3dbci2ch
Name: "Halo: The Multiplayer Experience"
Version: 0.8
Description: Play the first part of the second campaign level in multiplayer! Have huge battles in your favorite campaign level.
Change identifier to all lowercase, but 'cmon. It's no where near finished :P.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:52 am

http://www.mediafire.com/?f6o73yr3o824qzj
Yeah, weapons, vehicles, and one of the spawns needs to be added/fixed.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

Even though it broke the console, can Depot still be allowed as a mod instead of a default map?
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:47 am

Amy wrote:Even though it broke the console, can Depot still be allowed as a mod instead of a default map?
Yes. I can upload that for you if you want.

@Mgal: You forgot to change it in the map header too, but I'll fix that and upload it. Fix it on your end as well.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:04 pm

Sure thing Nil, thanks :).
MGM Sig

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:04 pm

Oh yeah, I fixed it.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:03 pm

Uploaded Depot for you Amy... I'm still in progress of figuring out how the UI map is going to be modified (I just added crossing and barrier UI descriptions and icons in my dev. build). Once all that's figured out, I'm probably going to have to update MDRenamer.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:44 pm

Everything's working great. Turns out a30 MP is almost done. I've been having a lot of fun playing with randoms. I have been leaving the server up for hours so people can discover the mod.