[MD] Dedicated Server

Halo modding and gaming related applications.
nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

[MD] Dedicated Server

Post by nil » Sun May 05, 2013 2:04 pm

Here's the current build of our HaloMD dedicated software. It runs on Windows, and can also be run on Linux and OS X using Wine. We use the halodedi software and Sapp (a halo dedi enhancement).

Windows and Linux build:
https://halomd.macgamingmods.com/HaloMD_Server.zip

To run it in linux, first install Wine, then: wineconsole --backend=curses cmd.exe /c haloded.exe or use backend as user instead of curses if you want a new more interactive window to show up.

OS X build (requires 10.6 or later):
https://halomd.macgamingmods.com/HaloMD_Server_Mac.zip

To modify the init.txt and other related files, right click (or control click) on HaloMD_Server app -> Show Package Contents -> drive_c -> HaloMD_Server. Read the read me file that comes with the download. You will want to link your MD's Maps folder by double-clicking install_maps script. The OS X version is also set to use port 2308 (UDP) by default.

On Windows and Linux, halodedi.exe is run on the command line. They will use port 2302 (UDP) by default unless you pass in your own -port.

You have to set -path argument for the server to work correctly and for it to be able to locate the scripts and savegames. I recommend using the current working directory. For Windows use -path . For linux, find the wine path using winepath . and use that path (though -path . may work too). For OS X, this is automatically set to -path . so you don't have to do anything.

To add MD mods, you'll need to modify sap's init file (found in the sapp folder) and add a map_load for the filename you want (e.g.: map_load helix_1), then you have to add the map to your map cycle.

This package can be updated at any time, and it likely will be updated.
Last edited by nil on Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 15 times in total.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Re: [MD] Dedicated Server

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Sun May 05, 2013 7:44 pm

Do we still have to give you the ip address and additional information so then you can put it in the dedi list or this upgrade already automatically puts the server in.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon May 06, 2013 7:41 am

Workaround: If you join your game (via direct IP, say), it will show up on the lobby.

This is something I have been meaning to do properly though on the master server side.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Tue May 07, 2013 3:27 pm

I tried to run the application exe but it says that Halo stopped working. What is happening?

Modzy
Green Beret

Post by Modzy » Tue May 07, 2013 7:29 pm

rEsTnPeAcEz wrote:I tried to run the application exe but it says that Halo stopped working. What is happening?
Can't be run on Macs, not even Macs with WINE. You must use Linux or Windows.

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Wed May 08, 2013 2:54 am

Yah I used Windows and it said "Halo stopped working".

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Wed May 08, 2013 9:30 am

Works for me even on my Ubuntu VM via Wine.

Don't double click on the executable. Open your command prompt, cd into the HaloMD_Server directory, and execute haloded.exe from there.

[EDIT]: Also be sure to properly set the -path command line argument (I modified my first post mentioning this).

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sun May 19, 2013 5:51 pm

rEsTnPeAcEz wrote:Do we still have to give you the ip address and additional information so then you can put it in the dedi list or this upgrade already automatically puts the server in.
I've finally fixed this on the master-server. We no longer need to whitelist for dedicated servers using the software I posted.
Last edited by nil on Sun May 19, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Sun May 19, 2013 5:56 pm

Sweet.

Ranger

Post by 002 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:00 pm

I just graduated from high school, so I'm going to drop off a gift for you guys.

<EDIT: Download link is now in the original post>

It's a bundle of the Dedicated Server, Wine, and X11 all mashed into one application. All you need is OS X 10.6 or newer.

If you want to access the root server folder for things like maps or init.txt, go to the application's packaged contents and open drive_c, then go to the HaloMD_Server folder.

If you want to change the arguments, or otherwise want to screw around with the application, go to the application's packaged contents, open Wineskin, and click on Advanced. Begin mashing buttons. Be sure "Use Start.exe" is checked and the arguments start with "-path ."

Good night!
Last edited by 002 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:49 am

Thanks, 002!
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:05 am

Good job 002. I'll re-upload it onto MGM's server. Also, I'll put in the more-correct map files (you probably took the map files in your Mods folder rather than the ones in the app's package contents, the latter which is more correct in originality).

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:59 pm

Updated the OS X and Windows/Linux builds linked from the first post so that it is now using Sapp instead of Phasor. The OS X build now defaults to using port 2308 instead of 2302, to avoid conflicting with the main MD client. It also has an install script that will set it to use MD's maps folder. no_lead and afk_kick are enabled by default on all builds. That pretty much sums it up.

jeepwrangler

Post by jeepwrangler » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:49 pm

Download links no longer work.

jeepwrangler

Post by jeepwrangler » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:54 pm

Any mirrors?