Swordedit

Halo modding and gaming related applications.
Samuco
Peon

Swordedit

Post by Samuco » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:42 pm

I am hopefully going to release an update to swordedit soon. Post any particular feature requests you have below.

Regarding the BSP editor, if somebody manages to figure out how to compile a collision BSP, let me know and I will implement it. The compiled code to do this exists in tool (comes with HEK). Even making tool work on the mac in a state that swordedit can use it would help.

Ranger

Re: Swordedit

Post by 002 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:37 pm

How about the ability to translate objects in an invisible grid so I don't have to worry about one object being slightly out of place, causing me to have to go back and correct 20+ object coordinates in Eschaton?

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:36 pm

Dude, adding chunks to the scnr. Like, if i want to spawn some machines, swordedit would create a machine palette to spawn it into. Like, it'd be super useful to spawn a lot of stuff properly.
Also adding tags to existing palettes.
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Fonzeh
Ranger
Location: "I didn't just take your mom out to dinner. I ate your mom for dinner."

Post by Fonzeh » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:08 pm

I would focus on overall stability.

Although an effect renderer would be nice. For example being able to see the flame emmitter scenery object in Swordedit.

I had to change its mod2 (to a skull) so i would be able to move it around.

Also in the latest starlight I couldnt delete vehicles.

Might just be me.
G[v]N wrote:HUGE NOTIFICATION
THIS GRAVY HAS BRAINS
Mota-Lev was here 30/4/2010@2:18pm

Tucker933
Peon

Post by Tucker933 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:11 pm

A PC version would be fantastic.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:08 pm

The pitch and roll titles in the user interface are switched. Pitch should be Roll and Roll should be Pitch.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Ranger

Post by 002 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:39 am

The Yaw textbox is always stuck at 180. Fixxxx.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:19 am

Use a VCS like hg or git, open source it, and maintain the code publicly onto github, bitbucket, or google code and I *might* take a look at doing something with the code. A project that was intended to be open by sword, should be kept open, and it should be done so properly. Not using a VSC, even for private purposes, would be insane anyway.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

WaeV
Peon

Post by WaeV » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:44 am

nil wrote:Use a VCS like hg or git, open source it, and maintain the code publicly onto github, bitbucket, or google code and I *might* take a look at doing something with the code. A project that was intended to be open by sword, should be kept open, and it should be done so properly. Not using a VSC, even for private purposes, would be insane anyway.
I strongly agree. I wish Github had been around back when Halo modding was in its heyday.
Tucker933 wrote:A PC version would be fantastic.
We wish, haha. Afaict, it's based on Sparkedit (C++), but adds Mac-specific stuff in Objective-C.

Two prominent options:
Cocotron, a tool that only runs on Macs but lets you cross-compile to Windows.
GnuStep, Objective-C and Cocoa libraries for MinGW on Windows. Can be used to compile from a Mac or a Windows box.

Both would probably require some porting effort, as not everything is implemented perfectly. I expect Cocotron would be an easier success; I plan on gauging portability once I get a Mac VM running.

Example cross compatibility: X11 (Linux), Windows, Mac

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:50 am

I recently and previously tried getting Cocotron to work, both times without success after spending entire days in the attempt.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:13 am

nil wrote:Use a VCS like hg or git, open source it, and maintain the code publicly onto github, bitbucket, or google code and I *might* take a look at doing something with the code. A project that was intended to be open by sword, should be kept open, and it should be done so properly. Not using a VSC, even for private purposes, would be insane anyway.
Tucker933 wrote:A PC version would be fantastic.
Unlikely.
Lucifer wrote:Although an effect renderer would be nice. For example being able to see the flame emmitter scenery object in Swordedit.
Can you send me a map with a bunch of effects in it? I'll see if I can add a renderer (even it if is just a box).
TaxiService wrote:Dude, adding chunks to the scnr. Like, if i want to spawn some machines, swordedit would create a machine palette to spawn it into. Like, it'd be super useful to spawn a lot of stuff properly. Also adding tags to existing palettes.
Current method is to just duplicate the existing objects. I'll see if I can add some sort of "object palette" where you can drag things into the main window.

Halo MD chat seems to be crashing on 10.9 :cry:

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:10 am

>Current method is to just duplicate the existing objects. I'll see if I can add some sort of "object palette" where you can drag things into the main window.

Eh wait, let me paraphrase. I'm talking about this:

Basically it's what defines what kinds of scens/machs/lifis/whatevers can spawn. Eschaton calls it X Palette, so i called it that, but there's probably a more correct name for it.

Anyway, like, if there's no mach palette, machines won't act correctly if you spawn them in other ways (say, by swapping a scen with a mach) So, is there a way for Swordedit to add palettes to the scnr?
And also to add items to an existing palette? Sparkedit lets me do that with scens and vehis.
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:15 am

@Samuco: you can privately PM me a crash report although it is a beta after all. I'm a mac dev member so i have access to it as well, I might install it.. Also why the heck is properly open sourcing a project that was already open sourced unlikely?! Unfortunately for you, he did specfiy GPL (on google code) when releasing his code. Anyway, if you'd like to talk, send me a PM.
Last edited by nil on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

WaeV
Peon

Post by WaeV » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:13 am

Samuco wrote:
nil wrote:Use a VCS like hg or git
Unlikely.
Personally I can't stand developing without version control. This is what happens to my source files without VCS: .````:)

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:26 pm

nil wrote:@Samuco: you can privately PM me a crash report although it is a beta after all. I'm a mac dev member so i have access to it as well, I might install it.. Also why the heck is properly open sourcing a project that was already open sourced unlikely?! Unfortunately for you, he did specfiy GPL when releasing his code. Anyway, if you'd like to talk, send me a PM.
It just hangs and takes up 400% cpu rather than crashing. The current version of starlight has new code that I would refer remained private hence why I did not release the code. If this is going to be an issue, then I am not going to add peoples change requests as it eats into my own time and then can't be released anyway.

TaxiService wrote:>Current method is to just duplicate the existing objects. I'll see if I can add some sort of "object palette" where you can drag things into the main window.

Eh wait, let me paraphrase. I'm talking about this:

Basically it's what defines what kinds of scens/machs/lifis/whatevers can spawn. Eschaton calls it X Palette, so i called it that, but there's probably a more correct name for it.

Anyway, like, if there's no mach palette, machines won't act correctly if you spawn them in other ways (say, by swapping a scen with a mach) So, is there a way for Swordedit to add palettes to the scnr?
And also to add items to an existing palette? Sparkedit lets me do that with scens and vehis.
Should be possible.
WaeV wrote:
Samuco wrote:
nil wrote:Use a VCS like hg or git
Unlikely.
Personally I can't stand developing without version control. This is what happens to my source files without VCS: .````:)
I find version control is only useful when developing with others.