Swordedit

Halo modding and gaming related applications.
TaxiService
Night Stalker

Re: Swordedit

Post by TaxiService » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:18 am

OH DUDE! there's something super important i forgot to ask you do add.

Look at this pic i took from google:
See those white lines? They appear whenever you select an object, they start from what i think is called bounding offset? ...not sure.
Their function is to let you know if the object you placed can spawn or not, because if the center of the three lines is within the bsp boundaries it'll spawn, otherwise it won't.
The lines are parallel to the map's axis and in sparkedit don't go on ad infinitum. You could make them long, like, 30 units... or whatnot. V: idk how your code works.

I'll try to explain better in the md chat. : \
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:14 am

Taxi, those white lines indicate where the model's frame node is. If the frame is above the bsp, the object will spawn. If it is below the bsp, no matter where the rest of the model is, the object will not spawn. Swordedit already adjusts a model around its frame and the lines I thought were already shown in some previous version of swordedit. I don't see them now though.

Samuco, you would select something, click once to snap its bounding box to the sbsp ground, and click twice to snap its frame to the sbsp ground. That would be the best way, probably.

Also, check out this hex code in your hex editor. It's the sbsp code from Guerilla, which probably has not been reverse-engineered since kornmann00 enabled some fields. I did discover how to increase the limits of chunks and change the allowed tag types for dependencies in chunks, but this would probably just break Halo unless it was done such so that it would "expand" the modding wiggle-room for dependency types. Anyway, this is more for the HaloMods community.

http://pastebin.com/yD4ghi4j

The whole thing is in little endian. The tag class comes at the end, then you can skip back to the top and ... well, it's typically somewhat scrambled in the order that it is presented. You mostly see pointers (generating random memory addresses or offsets is common in the HEK tools). Sometimes you have maximum chunk counts.

If you mess with the chunk counts, that's fine but will probably break the engine when it is played.
If you mess with the pointers, you might get an error like this:
EXCEPTION halt in \halopc\haloce\source\cseries\debug_memory.c,#165: Attempted an operation with pointer at 0x73627370, outside of the valid pointer range. (\halopc\haloce\source\tag_files\tag_groups.c:2802)
If you add a weird tag type, you might get an error like this:
EXCEPTION halt in \halopc\haloce\source\tag_files\tag_groups.c,#308: group->child_count==0
If you change the block sizes found next to the maximum block counts (the block sizes are like 20-48 in decimal value and the block counts are typically byte-size numbers like 4, 8, 16, 64, 128, 512 and 1024, although they can be seemingly arbitrary limits like 200 or 800), then you might get an error like this:
EXCEPTION halt in \halopc\haloce\source\memory\byte_swapping.c,#88: object_attachment_block bs data @0012DDAC is #72 but should be #80 bytes
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

WaeV
Peon

Post by WaeV » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:46 am

Samuco wrote:If I retain copyright over my additions (which I should in GPL) then I should be able to release the source. I would prefer to wait for a response from sword before doing that to see if the license can be switched to something more reasonable (such as BSD or MIT).
That sounds perfectly reasonable. :)
Sparky wrote:WaeV, how about we agree to not shoot ourselves in the foot and let Samuco add whatever license he wants to his own work.
I see that you're trying to create a compromise, and I think that's great and really respect that gesture. I know I'm being a pedantic asshole, but this is just how the licenses work:

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:03 pm

TaxiService wrote:>Anyway, like, if there's no mach palette, machines won't act correctly if you spawn them in other ways (say, by swapping a scen with a mach) So, is there a way for Swordedit to add palettes to the scnr?
And also to add items to an existing palette? Sparkedit lets me do that with scens and vehis.

If you import mach tags into the scenario starlight will automatically build the palette for you. Moonlight does the same at the moment.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:36 am

you're awesome. 0u0
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig