Swordedit Sunlight (Version 1.0)

Halo modding and gaming related applications.
Samuco
Peon

Swordedit Sunlight (Version 1.0)

Post by Samuco » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:23 am

Downloads
Application: http://www.samuco.net/SE/sunlight.zip
Source: http://www.samuco.net/SE/sunlight_source.zip

Copyright for added code (since version genesis) is held by Samuel Colbran (Samuco).
Instructions by 002
Swordedit: Sunlight
By Samuco

Hotkeys to remember:
[1] = Move mode. Left click and drag to move an object.
[2] = Select mode. Left click to select an object.
[3] = Duplicate.
[4] = Move object to BSP center.
Scroll = Rotate yaw
[Delete] = Delete selected object.
[Control] + Move = Move object vertically
[Shift] + Move = Duplicate object and move new object.
[Space] + Move = Snap object to BSP.
[Right Click] or [Control] + [Left Click] = Rotate camera.
[Command] + [S] = Save map. Use as often as you need to.

Modules
Main window
This window is your main viewing window. Most of your work will be done in this window alone, including duplicating objects, moving objects, selecting objects, and more. It's a render of your map.

Rendering window
You can change the renderer used in the main window if you are experiencing problems.
> Sunlight - Default renderer. Renders shaders and bipeds. It also adds some anti-aliasing and a fog effect. This is basically how it will look on Halo. It uses extra CPU utilization as a result and may be slow on older machines.
> Moonlight - Sunlight, but without shaders, antialiasing, or fog. It uses the least CPU utilization.
> Starlight - It only renders the BSP, scenery, and vehicles, thus it doesn't look as good as Moonlight or Sunlight. Do not use it unless you are experiencing problems with Moonlight or Sunlight. It utilizes the most CPU and it is the slowest, therefore it is the most inefficient.

You can also raise and lower your FPS with the FPS slider. Raising your FPS will use more power, and may not even be necessary depending on your monitor's refresh rate. Lowering your FPS will use less power, but make the main window seem slow.
Clicking the performance button will dramatically increase frames per second at the cost of much higher power consumption. Stutters on large maps.

Editor window
This window may be one of the most important windows you will use, mainly for the Create feature. Using the Create, you can choose an object to create. If you want to spawn a netgame item, then select "Item" and click +. If you want a teleporter, select "Teleporter Pair" and click the +. It's never been easy. You can even spawn machines, too.

You can change your camera speed using the slider, and you can click the house icon to move your camera to the BSP center. Clicking on First Person will snap your camera to the BSP, allowing you to view the world in more of a player's perspective. The best way to do this, though, is to actually test the map on Halo, yourself.

You can switch between Move and Select mode by clicking the radio buttons. Alternatively, you can use the [1] and [2] keys, respectively.

You can click Duplicate to duplicate the selected item. You can use Center to move the object to the center of the BSP. You can also click Delete to delete the selected item. Alternatively, you can use the [3], [4], and [Delete] keys respectively.

Selection window
You can rotate your selected object in this window. You can also swap your selected object for another object in its respected pallete. You can also enter precise X/Y/Z coordinates if you want to center objects, etc.

Selection settings
You can edit your selection settings in this window. Some objects have different settings. For instance, you can choose what gametypes you want a certain player to spawn in, as well as choose their indices. If you select a teleporter, you can specify whether or not it is an exit or entrance, and you can select what channel you want the teleporter to use. Vehicles can be specified on what gametypes to spawn in.
Screenshots

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Re: Swordedit Sunlight (Version 1.0)

Post by TaxiService » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:23 am

Great fucking job. :D

Providing a mediafire mirror in case something ever happens to the original link.

Download from mediafire

EDIT: PS: why aren't there biped-looking spawns in mudgorge..? : ?
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:34 am

Mudgorge doesn't have a biped palette. I could probably have swordedit just search for a bipd tag instead (if a biped palette is missing).

zapconquest
Ranger

Post by zapconquest » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:45 pm

The new rendering engine is really cool.

I haven't spent too much time with this yet but one thing I miss from the old swordedit is pressing spacebar to move the camera up (although pressing c to move it down still works).

Anyway great job =]

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:45 am

Please consolidate the several topics you have for swordedit into a single topic.

I like the teleporter connecting line based upon matching indices.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Ranger

Post by 002 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:13 pm

I seem to be getting random crashes, like when I select something, or move something, or enter something manually to move something.
edit: Even not doing anything causes crashing. What gives?

Also, I can't seem to be able to add items. It just freezes entirely when I do that.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:55 pm

002, it works for me on OS 10.6. But it just now crashed while I was exiting the red cave center-facing entrance in first-person mode.

Samuco, the HUD window says Yaw, Roll, Pitch, but it should say Yaw, Pitch, Roll. The Roll control adjusts the Pitch and the Pitch control adjusts the Roll.

The first-person mode doesn't work quite right in tight spaces like around the bloodgulch bases.

Samuco, do you know how to add help files? I can do that for you if you like, or show you how. It's pretty easy to do.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Ranger

Post by 002 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:14 am

Okay, so on certain maps, I can't add items, but on others, I can.

When swordedit freezes from my attempts to spawn an item, anytime I click on the window to select something (even if there isn't anything there), I get a "SELECTION ERROR" popup.

The random crashes are really strange, though. I've had it crash when I was:
  • Moving an object.
  • Selecting an object.
  • Entering the coordinates to an object.
  • Rotating an object.
  • Entering the rotation angles for an object.
  • Moving the camera.
  • Moving the cursor.
  • Saving the map.
  • Moving the selection window.
Going to keep updating this list with each time it crashes. It doesn't do it every time I do any of these things, obviously.

The crashes don't seem to occur unless I'm in the application, though. If I move onto something else, I could leave swordedit open for 9+ hours, forgetting about it (I've done this before), then get back to it and it will still be running.

Another bug is that when entering performance mode, my chances of selecting an object decrease from 95% to 5%. I have to mash on the cursor to select something. I can't drag a box over the object, too. The screen also flashes weirdly.

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:01 pm

Sparky wrote:002, it works for me on OS 10.6. But it just now crashed while I was exiting the red cave center-facing entrance in first-person mode.
Samuco, the HUD window says Yaw, Roll, Pitch, but it should say Yaw, Pitch, Roll. The Roll control adjusts the Pitch and the Pitch control adjusts the Roll.
The first-person mode doesn't work quite right in tight spaces like around the bloodgulch bases.
Samuco, do you know how to add help files? I can do that for you if you like, or show you how. It's pretty easy to do.
Crashes fixed (or should be). They were the result of a massive memory leak :roll:
HUD fixed
The code behind the first person mode (bsp collision) needs to be rewritten using binary trees.
Haven't got the time to write them as I have been called away on other projects.
002 wrote:Okay, so on certain maps, I can't add items, but on others, I can.
When swordedit freezes from my attempts to spawn an item, anytime I click on the window to select something (even if there isn't anything there), I get a "SELECTION ERROR" popup.
The random crashes are really strange, though. I've had it crash when I was:
  • Moving an object.
  • Selecting an object.
  • Entering the coordinates to an object.
  • Rotating an object.
  • Entering the rotation angles for an object.
  • Moving the camera.
  • Moving the cursor.
  • Saving the map.
  • Moving the selection window.
Going to keep updating this list with each time it crashes. It doesn't do it every time I do any of these things, obviously.
The crashes don't seem to occur unless I'm in the application, though. If I move onto something else, I could leave swordedit open for 9+ hours, forgetting about it (I've done this before), then get back to it and it will still be running.
Another bug is that when entering performance mode, my chances of selecting an object decrease from 95% to 5%. I have to mash on the cursor to select something. I can't drag a box over the object, too. The screen also flashes weirdly.
Performance mode is more of an experiment than an actual usable mode. Crashing should be much less now.

http://www.samuco.net/SE/sunlight.zip

WaeV
Peon

Post by WaeV » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:48 pm

Has http://www.samuco.net/SE/sunlight_source.zip been updated to reflect the new binary download?

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:52 pm

WaeV wrote:
Has http://www.samuco.net/SE/sunlight_source.zip been updated to reflect the new binary download?
Aka upload it into a repository and use a VSC so you save everyone's (including yours) time, and don't have to re-upload it every single time. If you want help, bug me in the IRC channel, I'd be more than glad to help with that.

[EDIT]: By the way, if you want to compile squish into a fat binary and it's actually pretty easy. Download the source, modify the make file and supply -arch i386 -arch x86_64 in the compile source step, and run make.
Last edited by nil on Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Dirk Gently
Commando

Post by Dirk Gently » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:02 pm

How to properly relaunch an application:

Code: Select all

[NSTask launchedTaskWithLaunchPath:[[NSBundle mainBundle] executablePath] arguments:[NSArray arrayWithObjects:nil]];
Figured I could help you clean up that code.

Ranger

Post by 002 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:00 pm

It renders glass perfectly!

Dirk Gently
Commando

Post by Dirk Gently » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Here is your new map loading code because faster is better:

https://github.com/samdmarshall/SDMHaloMapLoader

Ranger

Post by 002 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:18 pm

• I cannot see the X/Y/Z axis when selecting a player spawn in swordedit when using moonlight or sunlight, so I have to switch rendererer to starlight if I lose track of my player spawn.
  • Any non-teleporter netgame flags are a bitch to make, because I have to create a teleport pair, then change it to their respected type, then correct the team indices in Eschaton because only Red and Blue are supported. Only CTF flag should be limited to Red/Blue.
  • Race vehicles and oddball spawns are invisible, but I need them to finish my map. I have to do the above method to do so.