Babel (convert PPC gametypes to work on Intel)

Halo modding and gaming related applications.
Ranger

Babel (convert PPC gametypes to work on Intel)

Post by 002 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:18 pm

PowerPC gametypes are screwed up, as in, most of it is in little endian, and some of it is even in big endian. In other words, PowerPC gametypes are one slop of data that PPC Halo seems to be able to read. This application will automatically fix the parts that need to be fixed and redo the checksum so Halo will actually read it, as well as blow up your Intel gametypes so PowerPC Halo can read it.

ImageImageImage

Instructions:
  1. (Optional) Back-up your gametype. Babel overwrites gametypes, and the only consent it needs is you clicking "Open".
  2. Place your gametype in a folder and name it as blam.lst. Halo does not care what the folder name is, as long as the gametype is in a folder and its name is blam.lst. This step can be done last or first, but don't forget to do it. Put this folder in your savegames folder if you intend to play the gametype, as well.
  3. Open Babel.
  4. (Only if needed) Choose the conversion type. By default, Babel will detect the gametype type, thus you normally do not have to do this. If the gametype's CRC hash is corrupted, Babel will be unable to detect the type of gametype. If the wrong choice is selected, then Babel will break your gametype. Only do this step if it is absolutely necessary.
  5. Click Convert, select your gametype.
  6. If it says "Converted to <whatever> successfully", then you can close Babel; you're done. Do step 2 if you have not.
Troubleshooting:
  1. If it says that it has failed, then you are likely using a gametype with an incorrect CRC hash or you're using a corrupted gametype. If this is the case, then you must either: do step 4, redownload the file, stop renaming everything to a .lst file and expecting Babel to screw up the file (do step 4 if this is the case), or continue to the next step.
  2. If you cannot convert your gametype (gametype is unreadable by Halo, Babel crashes, etc.), please send me a copy of the unconverted gametype (if you backed it up) along with steps of what you did. I cannot help you effectively without either of these things.
Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/302 ... /Babel.zip

I was kind of hesitant to releasing it, mostly because it doesn't have any use at all for modding, plus I don't have a copy of 10.6, so I can't compile it for PowerPC users (sorry guys).

Requirements:
Mac OS X 10.5 or later.
Intel

Dirk Gently
Commando

Re: Babel (convert PPC gametypes to work on Intel)

Post by Dirk Gently » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:43 am

I might be able to help you get this on PPC, a few ideas i have might work.