swordedit

Halo modding and gaming related applications.
sword
Ranger

swordedit

Post by sword » Mon May 12, 2008 7:10 pm

So, I figure I've gotten enough done in the past two weeks to warrant a new thread. Ok? Now begin.

[May 19, 2008]
  • 1. Object movement is now perfect. "In and out" as well as "left and right" movement of the selected object is now fully possible.
    2. Object movement acceleration slider has been added and is fully working.
    3. Teleporter spawn creation code has been written but not implemented.
    4. More specific selection-information interface has been implemented, including the display of what kind of object is selected (more specific for netgame flags) and the tag class of the object selected.
    5. Rotation sliders have been linked to object selection, thus sliders and text are set each time you select an object, but rotation editing is not yet implemented.
    6. Began planning scenario reconstruction code.
    7. Reorganized math-related functions to be better accessible for all source files.
[May 18, 2008]
  • 1. Dollying of the selected object towards and away from the camera is working, but nowhere near the quality I'd like it to be for a release.
    2. Scenery and equipment duplication is now working.
    3. A few GUI updates have been applied so that more data about the selected item is displayed.
    4. Updated the x,y,z axes display to only go in positive directions and be color coded.
    5. Object deletion technique has been mapped out in my head, just needs to be applied.
    6. Scenario construction method has been mapped out in my head, just needs to be applied and optimized.
    7. Creation of new on-map objects has been mapped out in my head, just needs to be applied and a good interface created.
    8. More vector mathz have been learned, learning how to use vector cross products as well as better understand what vector cross products actually are.
[Around Midnight of May 17, 2008]
  • 1. Interface for object selection is completely working
    2. Bugs have been worked out so that object selection is decently accurate.
    3. Object translation code is now the main focus of the project.
[May 16, 2008]
  • 1. OpenGL primitive selection is working decently well.
    2. Object selection will be working soon.
    3. Map loading and rendering is faster.
    4. GUI additions for object selection / swapping has been implemented.
[May 13, 2008]
I'll start the list now as I've already got some awesome updates :)
  • 1. Texture decompression has been updated to run on the Squish library
    2. TEXTURE DECOMPRESSION WORKS (Check new screenshot for the newest image of the render)
    3. Support for PPC-Macs should work, I just need to test it out.
    4. The new Squish library will allow for faster texture loading.
    5. Texture mapping will be pre-loaded by the bitmap tag, decreasing load time by quite a bit.
[May 12, 2008]
5,996 Lines of Obj-C / C
  • 1. IT WORKS
    2. swordedit has been rebuilt almost entirely. Basic type structures and reading code remain mostly the same; however, the scenario related code has been entirely rewritten, the memory management code for every class has been entirely rewritten, non-BSP model reading has been rewritten, bitmap handling has been rewritten, and so forth.
    3. IT FUCKING WORKS
    4. The program does not crash upon loading of new maps unlike the previously unreleased version of swordedit. Moreover, mapfile deallocation works 100% and successfully frees all allocated memory, related textures, and the many intertwined classes.
    5. Reading and rendering the BSP and models without textures on my 2.2ghz Macbook Pro takes > 1.5 seconds.
    6. Algorithm to move selected objects relative to your current camera position has been fleshed out.
    7. All multiplayer-specific flags (teleporters, CTF flag, oddball, KotH locations) are read in and rendered / are renderable.
    8. I forgot to mention that BSP rendering and model rendering in point, wireframe, shaded faces, and textures are available.
    9. The scenario rewrite allows for object duplication / inclusion of new items into the scenario with ease. (The scenario is now held and manipulated entirely in memory, allowing for easy expansion, shrinking, modification, and reading, all very quickly and all which may be very quickly written to a file).
    10. New ideas for easy map editing include saving the start position of the camera, more navigation keys. Old ideas, including live modding, have been made possible by the new updates.
    11. Rendering at rates of up to 60fps are possible, but probably won't appear much better than 30fps.
    12. HOLY SHIT IT WORKS
Now a bit to look at:

Here is the GUI ([May 12, 2008]):

Wireframe Rendering:

Texture Rendering ([May 13, 2008]):
Old render images: ::TODO::
  • 1. DONE :: Update bitmap decompression to the new library (Hopefully solving that nasty red-shift rendering problem)
    2. DONE :: Optimize texture loading so that I'm not re-loading the same texture many times
    3. Include rendering of the skybox
    4. DONE :: Learn how to select objects using OpenGL (I'm still a bit shakey on this)
    5. DONE :: Implement a FAST selection system that supports selection across object types (IE you can select vehicles, scenery, and spawns all at the same time if you feel so inclined)
    6. Begun :: Object duplication and deletion, baby. This one should be tricky but shouldn't take too long. (Few reflexive updates, some buffer expansions and additions to said buffer, then reconstruct the scenario in memory for writing to a file later).
    7. Semi-Done :: File saving for larger as well as smaller scenarios.
    8. More optimized scenario reading code. (Don't need to read in all of that 0xCACACA stuff, now do I?)
    9. Come up with more stuff to do
Last edited by sword on Tue May 20, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 8 times in total.
The sword.

xxxshooter
Veteran

Post by xxxshooter » Mon May 12, 2008 7:12 pm

wow.... that looks reallllly good

I will eagerly await the release!
Still in progress:

Fuel
Green Beret

Post by Fuel » Mon May 12, 2008 7:23 pm

the nubs that didnt believe you and though you were making this up

seabeast
Green Beret

Post by seabeast » Mon May 12, 2008 7:33 pm

Ooooh! I like features 1, 3, and 12. :lol: More ideas... Hmmm... I got nothing. BUT, you should release it now, once all the bugs are worked out, and update it with new ideas later.

cQuence
Ranger

Post by cQuence » Mon May 12, 2008 8:17 pm

Nice
Changed my name to cQuence... Im still Shockwav tho.

Modzy
Green Beret

Post by Modzy » Mon May 12, 2008 8:40 pm

Sweet! Man I could use that on the mod Im making now. Cant wait till its out good work sword :D

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Mon May 12, 2008 9:20 pm

Awesome.

a question: what about the possibility to edit the map while playing? (like forge)
you said something about it when tyler mentioned memory hacking.

is it possible? and will it be included in this swordedit release?
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Modzy
Green Beret

Post by Modzy » Mon May 12, 2008 9:47 pm

O ya... theres a bug I have in sparkedit. When I move a vehicle it will make the coords something like 21.541e-6g it puts letters in and then the vehicles don't spawn. Is this fixed in swordedit?

Moxus
Delta Force

Post by Moxus » Tue May 13, 2008 2:01 am

Bravo, well done! Thank-you for all your hard work!

-=Moxus=-
Kayar wrote:The Collective: Spamming its way to a better tomorrow.
Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.

sword
Ranger

Post by sword » Tue May 13, 2008 2:55 am

Since my last AP test is this wednesday and I'll have much, much less work to do afterwards, I can probably have a beta release for Intel macs out at the very least.

I'm going to try and make one universal build that works for both intels and PowerPC, so it'll take a day or two to make sure that works 100%.

After that I'd just like to be sure that the texture loading actually works before I release anything. Once thats done, I'm going to give this program to a few people to see how it runs on their systems.
The sword.

G[v]N
Green Beret

Post by G[v]N » Tue May 13, 2008 4:00 am

sword wrote:I can probably have a beta release for Intel macs
Mm..hooray for my Intel-Dual-Core Macbook! I'd gladly test it :D
LOL HOW 2 OPEN MAPZ
:lol:

Nice work. (Nothing else to say cuz Taxi stole 'Awesome')
Ooh, and like what Mr Mods said, can you move vehicles in Sparkedit without totally messing up the spawn point?
Moxus wrote:Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.

DanDan
Ranger

Post by DanDan » Tue May 13, 2008 7:39 am

wow, nice job!! like lots of modding apps rolled into one.

great job! also, i can be a PPC tester when you are ready.

Go Go Go Play CS:S!!!!

Dirk Gently
Commando

Post by Dirk Gently » Tue May 13, 2008 7:56 am

I would like to be a PPC tester, and I con-graduate you on the very well done program.

seabeast
Green Beret

Post by seabeast » Tue May 13, 2008 10:52 am

I can beta test with an Intel also. By the way, when I hit about this mac under the little drop down thing in the menubar, it says under Memory "DDR2" Does that mean my compute rhas Dance Dance Revolution 2? :P
Last edited by seabeast on Tue May 13, 2008 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mike1122
Ranger

Post by Mike1122 » Tue May 13, 2008 1:46 pm

Gets on feet and bows to sword. FINALLY duplicating without having to use PC which i deleted from my mac long ago because of virus. Now, I can start CCG as soon as this app is finished because it needs ton of duplicating.

Good Job