swordedit: An Update

Halo modding and gaming related applications.
sword
Ranger

swordedit: An Update

Post by sword » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:31 am

I'm going to be restarting swordedit.

There's way too much wrong with the first set of code that I built or lifted from the mac version of sparkedit for it to be reasonable to continue hacking away at the same code for another few months. Instead, I'm going to use a few classes that I know have worked well in the past and rewrite everything else.

A few months ago I open sourced the first version, but I never posted this news. For anyone who is interested in seeing an extremely hacky, crappy set of code that makes up the first swordedit, here is where you may find the source:

http://swordedit.googlecode.com

Now that the old news is out of the way, onto what will happen.

I would love to see this become a community project. Rather than keeping all the work to myself and being the sole creator who rarely updates the program, I'd much rather create the basics of the program and let anyone else modify it or add onto it as he sees fit.

As for the program itself, there are going to be a fair number of changes. It's going to take a while to relearn what I've forgotten since last August or September, but I'm going to be restructuring swordedit's classes, GUI, and flow. I'll outline that on the googlecode pages once I relearn how to use googlecode.

Anyone who uses swordedit will know how there have been problems with selecting entities rendered on the map, so I'm going to make accurate selection one of my top priorities. Moreover, I'm going to make the entire GUI easier to use and better flowing.

Making swordedit run perfectly for both PowerPC and Intel based macs will be tougher now since my iMac G5 has some sort of undiagnosed graphics problem and I now only have an Intel iMac and a Macbook Pro to test on. I also do not have any plans to support any operating system before OS X 10.4.11.

Finally, I don't have any plans for permanently dropping swordedit. Hell, I used it on my college application. I decided to take a nice long break from programming so that I could focus on schoolwork. Now that senioritus has set in, I'm going to be spending time working on a few projects and partying when I can.
The sword.

Noodle
Delta Force

Re: swordedit: An Update

Post by Noodle » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:41 am

Thanks for including us tiger users. Can't wait for the next version!

seabeast
Green Beret

Post by seabeast » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:29 am

If you could make it recognize imported tags in the swap section I would be grateful.

Hostbot
Ranger

Post by Hostbot » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:31 am

Now I can sleep happy.

Developer

Post by Developer » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:56 pm

Maybe we can write some working code now.

Modzy
Green Beret

Post by Modzy » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:00 pm

Developer wrote:Maybe we can write some working code now.
You and me both.

I'm about to jump on this faster than an animal abuser to a cat.

EDIT: Mind giving us all the files? It would be easier for me to create my own Editor from scratch, than to get this thing working.

Developer

Post by Developer » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:53 pm

Modzy wrote:
You and me both.

EDIT: Mind giving us all the files? It would be easier for me to create my own Editor from scratch, than to get this thing working.
I agree. I am looking at the whole code, I can list them if you want, or have trouble finding them.

Modzy
Green Beret

Post by Modzy » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:09 pm

Developer wrote:I agree. I am looking at the whole code, I can list them if you want, or have trouble finding them.
Not needed, as we are already comparing the list over AIM. ;P

enoemoS

Post by enoemoS » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:27 pm

Developer wrote:
Modzy wrote:
You and me both.

I agree. I am looking at the whole code, I can list them if you want, or have trouble finding them.
I can quote people without logging in too, Almit!

Repulse
Peon

Post by Repulse » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:48 pm

-_- please make it so we can dupe vehicles please. Also make it so we can swap out their tag classes. eg. make a ghost scenery in sword edit.

Developer

Post by Developer » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:52 pm

enoemoS wrote:I can quote people without logging in too, Almit!
Too bad I am not alt. I just find it counter productive to open source code that cannot be built without missing files that you did not deem important to upload for us. Some of it should be up there by right, seeing is that it is Bob/Gren's

Fonzeh
Ranger
Location: "I didn't just take your mom out to dinner. I ate your mom for dinner."

Post by Fonzeh » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:48 pm

Hows that for a GUI? I made it because your original scheme was way too much for my tiny ass screen, it also looks sexy as hell on leopard.

I think you should keep panther compatibility, or at least release source to devs who can build a panther version, a lot of the modding community remains on that OS. I just now got leopard, but i would still like to use it on my panther.

Take it or leave it, glad to see you back, and hope swordedit comes smoothly.
G[v]N wrote:HUGE NOTIFICATION
THIS GRAVY HAS BRAINS
Mota-Lev was here 30/4/2010@2:18pm

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:46 pm

I fixed the xcode project by retrieving all of the missing files by checking out older revisions of the svn project and also included the squish framework, and the such. So here it is until sword manages to get a decent copy up:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zyq2wnhytuz

It should at the least compile and run.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Modzy
Green Beret

Post by Modzy » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:49 pm

nil wrote:I fixed the xcode project by retrieving all of the missing files by checking out older revisions of the svn project and also included the squish framework, and the such. So here it is until sword manages to get a decent copy up:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zyq2wnhytuz

It should at the least compile and run.
<3

Rofldonutburger
Commando

Post by Rofldonutburger » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:21 pm

I love the GUI!
Dead. derp