swordedit: An Update

Halo modding and gaming related applications.
Samuco

Re: swordedit: An Update

Post by Samuco » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:37 pm

First BETA version is ready. You can download it here http://www.samuco.net/starlight.zip .````:)
It's probably full of bugs as I haven't done much testing on it. Use at your own risk (make a copy map, just in case).

What's New:

1) Box selection
2) Automatic relaunch after save
3) Accurate selection
4) New interface (which some like Dirk ----) dislike)
5) New controls
6) CSS warning for scenery
7) Few other things

How do I rotate the camera?
1) To move the camera, use right click. This rotates it (like in camera mode)

What's up with the panels?
1) You can close them
2) You can move them
3) You can open them

What's not to like :lol: ?

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:40 pm

<3 downloading now.
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Smythe
Commando

Post by Smythe » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:42 pm

I take it back. new UI is awesome and reminds me of Blender 2.5.....
1 problem though

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/7157/s ... 3at137.png
Used a URL because it's a big image.

Noodle
Delta Force

Post by Noodle » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm

Mm, that UI is smex.

But lack of compatibility on 10.4 is lamesauce.

Smythe
Commando

Post by Smythe » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:45 pm

Nvm about the thing i posted it goes when you open a map.

Samuco

Post by Samuco » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:47 pm

olly12345 wrote:I take it back. new UI is awesome and reminds me of Blender 2.5.....
1 problem though

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/7157/s ... 3at137.png
Used a URL because it's a big image.
Yeah, you need a pretty big screen to fit all of the panels. You can close some though.
Also I have made the panels now disappear when the application isn't key (front).

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:50 pm

When i play halo the boxes stay there lol. maybe like attach them to the window, so you cant move them out side of window?
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Samuco

Post by Samuco » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:56 pm

Nah, I have fixed that in the next version :)
The panels will disappear when the application is not active (like when Halo is open)

I also found a bug with box select. It needs fullscreen to work.
Fixing this up atm... Will post new version soon :roll: .

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:22 pm

Dirk Gently wrote:The main window is horrible, the gradient does not work well with the window, and the whole panel system can be made into one panel instead of 5 different ones.
Modzy wrote:Yes, the gradient is a little funky. The OGL view should just cover the entire window, excluding the space for the camera the spawn controls. The HUD can stay, but please, you don't need THAT many HUD windows. A window just for bitmap selection? That's a bit too much. Two at the max would support all the controls of swordedit.
I actually do agree with Dirk and Modzy here, *especially* about having too many panels. The panels don't respect my dock at all by the way. If you position/resize windows, the app doesn't remember my settings (this should be easy to fix).

If you resize the main window, the UI controls overlap (something not impossible to fix).

The default window sizes/positions are too big, and my monitor surely isn't small.

Lastly, sword's google code project says the code is under GPL license, so I'm going to guess it is. You should (and most likely _have_ to under the license) release the source code project when you release a new version, beta or not. It would be beneficial to us (and maybe to you too) anyway.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Samuco

Post by Samuco » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:47 pm

nil wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:The main window is horrible, the gradient does not work well with the window, and the whole panel system can be made into one panel instead of 5 different ones.
Modzy wrote:Yes, the gradient is a little funky. The OGL view should just cover the entire window, excluding the space for the camera the spawn controls. The HUD can stay, but please, you don't need THAT many HUD windows. A window just for bitmap selection? That's a bit too much. Two at the max would support all the controls of swordedit.
I actually do agree with Dirk and Modzy here, *especially* about having too many panels. The panels don't respect my dock at all by the way. If you position/resize windows, the app doesn't remember my settings (this should be easy to fix).
You can't resize the panels. You can though close them. The panels take up the same amount of room as the original UI because you can close them.
I can make it so that only 'important' panels appear at launch.
nil wrote: If you resize the main window, the UI controls overlap (something not impossible to fix).
Will add a minimum constraint.
nil wrote: The default window sizes/positions are too big, and my monitor surely isn't small.
The default window is supposed to be full screen. The whole interface is designed for a 24" in iMac or larger.
nil wrote: Lastly, sword's google code project says the code is under GPL license, so I'm going to guess it is. You should (and most likely _have_ to under the license) release the source code project when you release a new version, beta or not. It would be beneficial to us (and maybe to you too) anyway.
I'll release the source when I have rolled the last few bugs out.

Samuco

Post by Samuco » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:06 pm

Ok I have uploaded the new file. The source code is included (which adds an extra 2MB :? ).
http://www.samuco.net/starlight.zip

Enjoy ;)
Im going back to trying to make meh horse...

Modzy
Green Beret

Post by Modzy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:17 pm

The save problem is probably due to the "rebuildScenario" method in Scenario.m. Maybe some uncleared arrays or some such, I really didn't give it a full look.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:18 pm

I am so sorry, but I am starting to doubt how long you have been developing software. Since when was it ok to force people to comply with your standards of work? So I guess it is alright for me to make my programs so that my viewing window is on one display and my controls are on the second since I work with two monitors. I guess that would be alright to do for everyone that has only 1 monitor.

That is specifically aimed at your comment about is made for a 24" iMac or larger. I just looked on the apple store website. 12 of the 14 macs that are sold with a display built in are less than 24". Where this notion of large screens and lots of screen space comes from is beyond me.

Also the monstrous buttons at the bottom are a complete turn off.

Samuco

Post by Samuco » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:33 pm

Dirk wrote:I am so sorry, but I am starting to doubt how long you have been developing software. Since when was it ok to force people to comply with your standards of work? So I guess it is alright for me to make my programs so that my viewing window is on one display and my controls are on the second since I work with two monitors. I guess that would be alright to do for everyone that has only 1 monitor.

That is specifically aimed at your comment about is made for a 24" iMac or larger. I just looked on the apple store website. 12 of the 14 macs that are sold with a display built in are less than 24". Where this notion of large screens and lots of screen space comes from is beyond me.

Also the monstrous buttons at the bottom are a complete turn off.
It seems to me that you have failed to grasp everything...

1) I changed swordedit so that I could use it.
2) I posted it on this forum so that others could also use it if they wanted to.
3) I made it for a 24" iMac (my own) but it also fits perfectly onto a 15" screen. Maybe you should actually try it before immediately coming to a conclusion.
4) Everything in my interface has a reason and a design. Since in swordedit you are constantly moving to those buttons, making them small and hard to click would be stupid. Great idea.

Why are you so crazy about this? You haven't said anything useful on this forum, except whinge about how junk it is. If your such a guru at Macintosh, then get a job at an apple store and do something useful.

I am so sorry, but I am starting to doubt how long you have been at school.

</end offtopic and random dirk anger>

Slapzy
Ranger

Post by Slapzy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:53 pm

Samuco wrote:It seems to me that you have failed to grasp everything...

1) I changed swordedit so that I could use it.
2) I posted it on this forum so that others could also use it if they wanted to.
3) I made it for a 24" iMac (my own) but it also fits perfectly onto a 15" screen. Maybe you should actually try it before immediately coming to a conclusion.
4) Everything in my interface has a reason and a design. Since in swordedit you are constantly moving to those buttons, making them small and hard to click would be stupid. Great idea.

Why are you so crazy about this? You haven't said anything useful on this forum, except whinge about how junk it is. If your such a guru at Macintosh, then get a job at an apple store and do something useful.

</end offtopic and random dirk anger>
You seem to me, an arrogant son of a bitch.
I'm pretty sure Dirk grasped everything you said. I just think you're too stupid to realize your incompetancy within certain areas.

1. So you made swordedit for you to use it, good for you, keep it to yourself.
2. Only idiots who don't know better will think you've actually accomplished something here, and would use it.
3. I have a 15" screen, on a g4 imac from '02. Your UI is terrible in many ways.
4. Everything in your interface, is even worse than before. Big, annoying, and a waste of space.
Samuco wrote:Why are you so crazy about this? You haven't said anything useful on this forum, except whinge about how junk it is. If your such a guru at Macintosh, then get a job at an apple store and do something useful.

We aren't "crazy about this" we have standards. On the contrary, Dirk has been very useful, in many ways in the past, and present, to the users on this forum. However, yourself, has just proved to be an asshole, that clearly cannot follow standard protocol, that complex, and even the simplest, of developers follow, for a reason

Speaking on behalf of dirk, he is indeed a macintosh guru, and it is not your place to insult him personally. Anyone can be a badass behind a keyboard, now shut the fuck up, and go do something correctly.

And so what if he did get a job at an apple store, cause retail really makes you a smartass.

On a side note, your website made me laugh. And not just because you're ripping off people for useless software.
~ Teh Slapz
TaxiService wrote:OMG BARREL ROLL ON ACIDS
._. \·. |: /.· .-. ·.\ :| .·/ ._. \·. |: /.· .-. ·.\ :| .·/ ._.
WHOOHHAGHGHHGEHGR