swordedit: An Update

Halo modding and gaming related applications.
Samuco

Re: swordedit: An Update

Post by Samuco » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:21 pm

Dirk Gently wrote:If you don't like the UI, then make your own version of swordedit. Im not changing it, so stop whining about it. Seriously :shock:. You don't need to use the program if you don't want to. I like the interface, that's all that matters to me.
Modzy wrote:I could care less about the UI and more about the parsing code.
Exactly.

sword
Ranger

Post by sword » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:58 pm

swordedit is a steaming pile of shit that needs a total rewrite. I tried to tackle too many things at once without learning some basic material so in the end the entire project suffered a lot.

The current support for endiannes is terrible. I can't get the squish DXT library to compile anymore (though I haven't tried to hard to be honest). The support for different types of scenario structures is terrible. I had on real concept of what a private field was when I coded swordedit so the entire thing is, what do you call that, a big pile of mud? Something like that.

If I were to restart it all right now then I would begin by first making a good parsing and data handling framework that included proper map rebuilding and handled endianness correctly. That parsing framework would create an overview of the map and then read only specific tags within the map that are necessary for scenario editing. I think that this time I would represent each scenario structure that I edit as a class rather than a struct so that I could keep the code much cleaner and more manageable. Though maybe a struct is the ideal thing to do with such a small bit of data. I'm not sure but I'm still leaning towards classes rather than structs. Use a lot of sets and gets and so forth rather than direct access.

After this I would write a real rendering engine rather than something akin to a script that appears in that giant RenderView controller. That is one horrendous piece of code. The rendering engine would handle all of the map rendering and just respond to a few calls by a view controller to draw everything to the view.

After that everything becomes pretty trivial. Once there's actual map parsing and scenario rebuilding support, proper data management, and a proper rendering engine then all you have to do is tell it where to draw and what data to modify.
The sword.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:54 pm

Dirk Gently wrote:I have been working with Mac OSs for the past 16 years. Sorry if I want to be looking at something that is not an eye-sore.

BTW mr developer, your buttons are off the side of your window. Nice work there. There are also other developers on this site and you might want to take some of our advice.
Amy wrote:I think someone is jealous
Also your Swordedit app sounds amazing, are you going to release it?

BTW Dirk you were 2 and you were working with Mac OSs? that is kind of sad.
in fact, almost doubtable >_>
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Dirk Gently
Commando

Post by Dirk Gently » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:59 pm

How is that doubtable? My first mac was an Apple LCII.

Also yes amy, they are called interface guidelines. This does not comply with them and it looks ugly. I have never been jealous of anything that anyone has done. Stop being such a presumptuous bitch at times, k?

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:03 pm

Amy wrote:I think someone is jealous
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Dirk Gently
Commando

Post by Dirk Gently » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:03 pm

I see that someone can troll, ineffectively troll at that.

Moxus
Delta Force

Post by Moxus » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:29 pm

Amy wrote:BTW Dirk you were 2 and you were working with Mac OSs? that is kind of sad.
I was playing Marathon at age 3; Don't be hatin' the early starters.

-=Moxus=-
Kayar wrote:The Collective: Spamming its way to a better tomorrow.
Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:33 pm

Moxus wrote:
Amy wrote:BTW Dirk you were 2 and you were working with Mac OSs? that is kind of sad.
I was playing Marathon at age 3; Don't be hatin' the early starters.

-=Moxus=-
Yeah, but he said working lol.

and
Dirk Gently wrote:I see that someone can troll, ineffectively troll at that.
In other words, i win : P
MGM Sig

seabeast
Green Beret

Post by seabeast » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:59 pm

I was playing on my Grandpa's computer when I was three or four. Mostly little kid games, but I could type a little bit.

Noodle
Delta Force

Post by Noodle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:03 pm

I remember watching my dad play an original copy of Pathways into Darkness when I was 3 or 4.

Now I realize it was an awesome game. I wish I knew where he's keeping all the old OS9 games.

tokage
Ranger

Post by tokage » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:33 pm

Samuco wrote:GINORMOUS IMAGE
Ugly, Unorganized and overall emphasizes features that I have almost never used in a long session.
Hey, if you're making this for your preferences, that's cool. I mean, I think a tab-like system would work better for me, but the old UI was pretty universal. It was simple to use and had very little drawbacks (The UI, not... everything else.).

Anyone who tries to actually make something good on this will find their "great" movable windows massing around everywhere and blocking their work when everything could've been put off to the side.

2 stars out of 7.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:22 pm

Hardly amy, you are just being a whiny bitch because you don't want to be wrong.

Mota-Lev
Green Beret

Post by Mota-Lev » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:33 pm

I like the Ui. Its a nice change. Although some previous stated things can be fixed.

Now the program needs a rewrite and I think you might just have something worth downloading.

@Flamers. STFU. Take you arguments to ichat/adium or whatever program you use to chat.
Stupid tinypic removing my images

Modzy
Green Beret

Post by Modzy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:47 pm

Amy wrote:In other words, i win : P
Not even to doddery, obscured eyes do you win in the slightest. I'd stop now while you're a miles behind.

Smythe
Commando

Post by Smythe » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:10 am

Amy, Dirk wins because you resorted to trolling. Modzy, Dirk wins because.... oh wai you weren't arguing....
/Discussion
Back to the sword edit discussion:

You have box select? Sweet can't wait for release!