Eschaton 0.8.2 Release

Halo modding and gaming related applications.
Altimit01
Eschaton Dev
Eschaton Dev

Re: Eschaton 0.8.1 Release

Post by Altimit01 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:13 pm

There could be errors in the map. Can't really say without looking at it. Modzy could probably find the errors in it fast than I can given my current schedule.
Disclaimer: I am no longer active. Any posts, PMs or other communication I use has no guarantee of accuracy or follow up.
Download Eschaton: Mediafire

Modzy
Green Beret

Post by Modzy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:18 pm

I've got classes 8am to 3pm and then rehearsal from 3pm to whenever we're finished; normally around 6pm. And of course, lovely homework.
I think everyone's bogged down at-the-moment.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:05 pm

Altimit, I think Eschaton is not at fault. Instead, it seems the issue was when we switched the same mod to the latest version of Eschaton, between 0.7.3 internal beta and 0.8.1.

We were working with 0.7.3 internal beta for a while, including handling most or all of the imports. When we switched to 0.8 and 0.8.1 to continue modding, sometimes the tags would import correctly (recursively, using duplicates with added "+" signs) and other times those tags would break (halo would crash upon loading it) after another import. This really only happened with the modded nades, plasma pistol and rocket launcher, for whatever reason. Also, some vehicles may have been screwy, although that might have just been me <.<

So what i did with the weap collab mod was to import some tags recursively twice, until they imported correctly (?) and then I renamed the tags we're using. The next step is to delete the unreferenced tags. We'll see if this kills the map >.>
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Kayar
Delta Force

Post by Kayar » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:40 pm

Why do I never see your release topics until like weeks/months after? >.<

Wonderful job, Alt. Very, very happy. Can't wait to try it out. :D
~Kayar~
TaxiService wrote:You haven't seen like the 90% of the dicks i drew. Someday i'll make a website where people will be able to browse the contents of my old notebooks.
WilliamSub wrote:They flock with your hormones
MGM Sig

G[v]N
Green Beret

Post by G[v]N » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:29 pm

You won't regret it, Kay. :P

Though, the only thing I find Eschaton lacking is multiple tag deletion. Maybe recursive deletion, if you know what I mean.
Moxus wrote:Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.

Smythe
Commando

Post by Smythe » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:08 am

That could be problematic. if you delete the PR projectile then everything referenced including the bitmaps would be deleted from that map affecting all other plasma weapons.

G[v]N
Green Beret

Post by G[v]N » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:23 am

Not that kind of 'stupid' recursive deletion.

Maybe 'smart' recursive deletion, that doesn't delete the tags that are referred to by other tags.

=X

Wait- ah nevermind.
Moxus wrote:Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:59 am

I agree that such a feature is really helpful.

Altimit, after completing a stress test on Eschaton 0.8.1, I am left with happy and sad (?) news:

HAPPY news
Stok prizes are up! Just kidding. But Eschaton can handle over 80 CE maps open at once :D
3 recursive cheers!

SAD news
I discovered a dead kitten in my driveway! Just kidding. I don't even have a driveway >.> But Eschaton crashes with an Out of Class Bounds exception when I expand a map with over 7100 tags (just under the legal limit) and then go to recursively extract (internally) many many CE tags from CE maps, then go click on the expanded map again. Seems like a memory buffer overflow perhaps? Or not enough of / poor indexing-handling of huge chunks of memory? I only tested this with CE tags, not yet with Demo or Full tags.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Altimit01
Eschaton Dev
Eschaton Dev

Post by Altimit01 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:38 am

Link to the map that is crashing please. I'll have a look at what is causing the problem.
Disclaimer: I am no longer active. Any posts, PMs or other communication I use has no guarantee of accuracy or follow up.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:35 pm

Thereafter, there were also more bitmap and map opening errors. What happened was I would open the INCY (it had around 10k tags at this point) and preview an internalized bitm. (I don't think I had an explicit bitmap set in prefs, because it would ask me to locate the bitmap file for bitm tags with external references.) Any, so I go to preview the bitmap, but then only the dds file injection would allow me to select a file in the open file dialog box. When I went to open another map file to recursively extract a tag (internally) or when I wanted to import another image into a bitm, the files I should have been able to open were grayed-out; nothing was selectable. I remember that this was a problem in some previous version of Esch, but I hadn't seen the issue since 0.7.1 or 0.7.2, I think. Some dds files worked and others didn't, saying that the size or dimensions were too big even though they were fine. I noticed that when I mirrored an image so that it was the same alignment as the existing image in the tag, the image imported correctly, but then the preview showed only a totally black image and wouldn't let me import the original dds image back over it.

This entire problem was solved when I deleted the Eschaton preferences file and set an explicit bitmap in the preferences. But it took an effort of carefully avoiding potential pitfalls thereafter - I thought that maybe the problem only occurred after I loaded a preview of a bitmap. But I discovered that there were no more abnormalities after I deleted that prefs file, and everything seems to work fine.

The file is the second volume of the INCY, the first of two CE indices. The link to the file will be up soon in the Incyclopedia topic at the first post.

Altimit01
Eschaton Dev
Eschaton Dev

Post by Altimit01 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:53 am

Grayed out selections have something to do with the layer running beneath the application doing the file handling. Restarting the program should usually fix that. When DDS files don't work it's because Eschaton is extremely specific about using those files. If there are any differences in the DDS header information compared to what the meta data shows (which is basically DDS information anyways) then it will not allow the image to be injected. I can't really comment on too much of the other stuff because it's not very clear what the problem is except maybe for some bad DDS files and/or bitmaps.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:14 pm

I need help.

Ok so i go to the bitmaps tag, and find the picture that edits the lightmaps. i export the image and edit it, but the importer wont read the image. What type of images does the importer read?
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Altimit01
Eschaton Dev
Eschaton Dev

Post by Altimit01 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:55 pm

It should be able to read the same types that it can export. There might be a problem with the application framework. Try restarting Eschaton and see if it still won't accept the image.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:50 pm

Restarting it worked. Thanks, your awesome.
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Fonzeh
Ranger
Location: "I didn't just take your mom out to dinner. I ate your mom for dinner."

Post by Fonzeh » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:37 am

Alt I can't really fully explain the problems I'm having but ill try.

I open my map, do imports etc, it all works good and such, I'm making headway on my mod, its awesome so on and so forth.

I go into the Rockets Force tag, Change its Force to like 11, Make it's damage 0.001, Make it so you can't die from falling, Exit eschaton go to test.

It Crashes.

Wat.

Thats quite litterally everything I can tell you, but it seems the simplest edits in eschaton are killing my map :(.

Also importing seems really buggy, half the time my imports dont even show up after imported for some reason :(

Mac OS X 10.3.9
512MB DDR
Mac Mini 1.25GHZ PPC G4

:/
G[v]N wrote:HUGE NOTIFICATION
THIS GRAVY HAS BRAINS
Mota-Lev was here 30/4/2010@2:18pm