Everything about Minecraft.

Which areas to reclaim?

You may select up to 7 options

View results

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Spawn area reclaiming proposal

Post by TaxiService » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:16 am

Hello gents and dames! Today i post a thread with a proposal regarding the spawning area of our beloved Minecraft server. I ask you to read it throughly and shit, please!

okay maybe you can skip this part, read only if interested…
Since when we first started playing survival multiplayer we have been using the area around the spawn point intensively. It has been okay for the period of time that got us started to understand the game dynamics; how to survive, what enemies we had to defend from, and all that stuff.

One day i carved a hole in a mountain not far from the spawn point, and thought it could be a good place for players to settle and feel protected for the time they needed to get started in the server.
It was the safehouse. The community-driven experimental building I started.
As more players begun to get in the server the safehouse grew, players added rooms, dug holes, put stairs, and made the safehouse a nice and welcoming place for everyone.
Then it started to get crowded and overbuilt. Everyone has gradually just abandoned it as they built a house for themselves. So now it remains just a ruin of this mountain that resembles a slice of cheese for how many holes it has got.

I've had an idea in my mind for quite some time: Get a new mountain, some time, and totally redesign the Safehouse from scratch.
A new mountain? "What the fiddles is this chap talking about?" you might wonder. Well, i plan to retrieve the map's original seed, generate a new (identical) map and cut&copy the untouched mountain back into our server's map.

The new safehouse will act as a hub for new players to start their lives in the servers. It will feature private rooms where guests can settle along some community rooms and tools that newbies can borrow until they are able to return them!
It will also feature a new full-functioning Nether portal, for i plan to totally re-build the portals system to make it more sensed for public transportation rather than personal (mis)use. (this is another project though. For starters i'll rebuild the current portal we all use, that is mgalekgolo's)

And it doesn't end here! As you guys must have noticed it isn't only the safehouse that's ruined, but also the plains around it!
Due to excessive exploitation of the territory (and even mass explosions iirc) the planes outside of the spawn area look like a sliver of swiss cheese. No wait, more of like a goddamn souffle! The huge holes are patched by a thin layer of grass, allowing monsters to spawn in the darkness below. And in addition to that, there are at least a dozen of unused galleries below the surface that produce more monsters for no reason at all!

So here is my plan. I've outlined on the map render the problematic areas that we can fix and gave names to them.
  • 1 • Safehouse
    2 • Plains, divided in 2 west and 2 east
    3 • Samuco's failed trading system
    4 • Junkyard of shitty buildings
    5 • Abandoned wasteland, featuring a floating treetop.
    6 • Mgalekgolo's buildings (*see note)
I want to replace all of these areas with the ones imported from the regenerated map. In this way we will have these areas just as they were when the server was created.
This will fix all the environmental damage that these areas have suffered.

About the specific areas:
2a - Plains East
It's the area that gets damaged the most by players that spawn at night, for they the prime target of creepers. This area has been recently fixed up a little, and is not as ruined as…
2b - Plains West
Despite its appearance from the outer space, this is the worst part of the area surrounding the Safehouse. It is really a layer of dirt over huge holes in the ground, that give house to hostile mobs at all times of the day. It's also patched with cobblestone and has floating privatized chests by people that do not play anymore.
3 - Failed trading system
it was a nice test and all, but why is this still around? seriously?
4 - Junkyard
Here lie all of those structures that do not belong to anyone but are still there being ugly and useless. This area comprises that pointless stone wall that has been been an eyesore since i can remember. Tunnels are also hidden mostly in this area and the next one.
5 - Wasteland
A desolate portion of land forbid from any use for no reason.

All of these places can be reclaimed to the flourishing forest that it once was! Wouldn't that be awesome? Or these areas could be just used for whatever else instead of just lying there being unused, dammit!

Note: About the outlined area 6, Mgalekgolo's buildings, i was planning to move all of them (comprising the aerial structures) ~10 blocks towards south. This to give more space to the mountain and land around it.

Note 2: In the map i didn't outline the beach and the area that from the safehouse connects to them, those could be replaced too if voted so.

Thus, that's it. What do you guys think? Proposals? Comments? Any idea about what else we could add or subtract from my plan?

I will open a poll. Any poster can express as many votes as many the modifiable areas are (7); so that if you don't want to reclaim a particular area, you can just omit that vote.
In case you are contrary to the whole reclaiming process, hit only the last option.

Thank you for your time! See you!

TL;DR: vote what areas to paste from a regenerated map back into main server.
if contrary, vote last option.

EDIT: PS: the total of votes cast is bullshit. So please state the total of the votes you casted by posting it, thank you. (along with comments and shit!)
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

kiddten
Commando

Re: Spawn area reclaiming proposal

Post by kiddten » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:28 am

Fix it all.
And quite frankly, I really don't see a reason for the giant... floating things that mgalek has built.
kiddten, on most things nowadays wrote:no
TaxiService wrote:HERE IS THE GODDAMN WALDO YOU CHEATING DICK
๖ۣۜĐeяP wrote:U MOTHER FUCKER AND U FUCKING PARENTS AND FUCKED OFF ASS HOLES

Sugarlumps
Ranger

Post by Sugarlumps » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:41 am

Nice plan you got here. Seems reasonable! At least my old house isn't touched, all my loot is still there, and so is my obsidian bunker.
Also, the "wastelands" happened to be Samuco's treefarm, and no one decided to listen to replanting (this was before the replant mod) and stole the fences.
We need signs at spawn dictating some general rules such as fixing creeper explosions or no looting/destruction of other's homes, as well as keeping the surroundings nice.

And we need a treefarm in the safehouse! Not like the cramp compact one in my home (though effective), but a proper tree farm!

Also, I think I was the first to make a room in the safehouse, shouldn't really have done that :\ and started this massive room system.
Click!

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:44 am

lol lumps. really?
well the new house won't have private rooms; only public rooms that a user can use for the period of time they need to make some shelter outside of the safehouse.
Also i am planning to make a community mine somewhere around there. And maybe make a "protected" forest area where people go to harvest trees without constructing things. (aka tree farm, i suppose!)

Anyway the spawn should be, as i said, a sort of hub for every new player that comes. Long before this server was created i used to hang out on another one. (there was still the mc alpha). Their spawn was a protected area with roads that from there went to all the directions, and it was really cool to see!
The server had also the rule "No floating buildings" >_> but that's because they were trying to make the map realistic or something…

Anyhow, about the community mine: It's going to be a quarry-like mine, not like the one that is in the safehouse right now. Those were "my" mines theoretically, but that kind of mine is not suited for a large amount of players.

Instead we should pick a place to build this mine. I was thinking behind the mountain your house is on, if looking from the safehouse. I'll eventually do that too :P but shit, i'll need some help ;_;

PS: as for the rules, the spawn area should have some signs stating these rules. If i can i could redesign the spawn (at the beach) to make it look like a… uh, spawning area!
MGM Sig

Sugarlumps
Ranger

Post by Sugarlumps » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:53 am

Proposal of protection system for spawn and certain areas of safehouse?
I used to play on Mineology.net, a realistic server running with protection mods, lwc, and anti-grief mods such as bb (though outdated now). Realistic as in no 1x1 pillars up, floating houses with no support, you get the idea. The spawn was amazingly nice. It was a clean, untouched areas that only admins could modify, and there were roads leading to areas where you could build, towns, cities, etc. Well I don't want our server to be like that, but a nicer spawn and protection of spawn would be nice so we don't get griefed there!

Ahh Taxi, Assign a chunk to be the quarry! A chunk is 16x16. However, someone already built their house into the back of my mountain house (looking from safehouse). I think its nixion666 or something.

The redesign will be good, I think of using clean stone or clean stone halfsteps. The halfsteps usually look good. You could have fences stacked up at one wall, with signs on them showing rules. Instead of the traditional square spawning area, make it a circle! Place a workbench in the center for easy access (keep in mind that the spawn MAY be protected so you can use materials for spawn that no one can steal).
Click!

Excend
Commando

Post by Excend » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:13 am

You could create a tree house or something right at the spawn that people could run up into to get away from creepers. And even give it a bed! Also, Taxi, I'd like to help you with the revamping of the portal system, but I still think that should be talked about in more detail. As for which areas you reset, do them all.
TaxiService wrote:Roses are red
Violets are blue
What a shitty thread
Fuck all of you.

Kayar
Delta Force

Post by Kayar » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:22 am

I voted once for everything.

Good plan, Taxi!
~Kayar~
TaxiService wrote:You haven't seen like the 90% of the dicks i drew. Someday i'll make a website where people will be able to browse the contents of my old notebooks.
WilliamSub wrote:They flock with your hormones
MGM Sig

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:59 am

No touchy my portals. I moved the damn shit. we dont need a new safehouse, nobody new should be coming on, besides ghosts. My floating shit just looks impressive, and thats point enough. I already semi-restructured the nether. Hey its on the other side of safehouse mountian. I spent a lot of time gathering the obsidian and figuring out how to make the portal exit be far away. well, I revise my previous statement, We do need a new safehouse. But also no touchy my structures. If you really want to move them, make my house in the middle of the ocean(like 20 blocks south) instead. So yeah, please, please ask before you do anything to anything of mine.

My shits not up for democratic (or whatever voting is) umm... moving/restructuring/destroying.
Yarok wrote:There may be a giant dildo protruding from your forehead.

Nuthead_
Operative

Post by Nuthead_ » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:58 am

maybe we should add Ranks, so if your entering for the first time u cant build or destroy.
until you ask Monoman or something :P

Excend
Commando

Post by Excend » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:54 pm

Sure you must be at least a commando to edit anything in the world >.<. No.
Violets are blue
What a shitty thread
Fuck all of you.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:06 pm

More traffic was Monoman's idea. I think he wants the server to be more populated, but to do that we've got to organize the server to actually be able to house more people. That means to set up an appropriate spawn and ways for players to move around the map easily.

Ghosts: yes, about the nether rebuilding we have got to plan everything throughly. The only thing that i'd do when building the new safehouse would be set a new "main" portal instead of the one near mgalekgolo's house. (it will fit into the structure of the safehouse, obviously :V ) After that we'll have make some sort of hub into the nether too instead of the one that there is currently (the one with gravel walls… ._. )

PS: about the ranking: well, in that server i used to play in you would be able to place certain blocks after a while. Water for instance could be placed only after you played for an amount of time since your first logging; tnt too and so on.
MGM Sig

Yarok
Ranger

Post by Yarok » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:36 pm

I can produce the seed with some info mod I have once I get home, if Mono doesn't get to it. I voted not to move Mgal's stuff because it doesn't really bother me.

Some sort of implementation of only being able to break your own placed blocks (and "neutral" or "natural" blocks) would be nice, it would stop people breaking other people's shit.

Otherwise I'm all for reconstruction and can even help out after summer school ends this Friday.
TaxiService wrote:I've got no soul
As I surreptitiously put my tallywhacker into the jet

Excend
Commando

Post by Excend » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:08 pm

I don't like the ranking system. The main reason being that I'm new as of yesterday and I'm already building nether portals >.<. It'd make more sense to me to have to register on the site or something along those lines. That would bring traffic to mgm as well as the server. But either way, any form of limiting people's capabilities will decrease traffic.
Violets are blue
What a shitty thread
Fuck all of you.

kiddten
Commando

Post by kiddten » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:00 pm

Mgalekgolo wrote:My floating shit just looks impressive, and thats point enough.
If you had made it something more than floating cobble boxes with pointed roofs, it might have been impressive. They are just hollow husks of cobblestone, sewn together with ugly floating cobble paths.
kiddten, on most things nowadays wrote:no
TaxiService wrote:HERE IS THE GODDAMN WALDO YOU CHEATING DICK
๖ۣۜĐeяP wrote:U MOTHER FUCKER AND U FUCKING PARENTS AND FUCKED OFF ASS HOLES

tokage
Ranger

Post by tokage » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:18 pm

Mgalekgolo wrote:My shits not up for democratic (or whatever voting is) umm... moving/restructuring/destroying.
Haha.

Anywho, unless we're just actually copypasting the whole thing chunk by chunk with a program or something, i'd be willing to clean up that big wall and shitty buildings an' such.