Proposal to bolster creativity

Everything related to programming.
Sparky
Delta Force

Proposal to bolster creativity

Post by Sparky » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:11 am

I propose to you that a point is a polygon.

Let's think about scope and how it relates to computational power and accuracy to the real world. How far does one want to abstract from reality in order to "simplify" things -- in order to cater to one's own lack of understanding and creativity?
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Excend
Commando

Re: Proposal to bolster creativity

Post by Excend » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:47 pm

I reject your proposal based on the definitions of a point and a polygon. A polygon must have at least 3 sides, each side must have at least two end points, which will overlap, so a polygon must have at least 3 points.
TaxiService wrote:Roses are red
Violets are blue
What a shitty thread
Fuck all of you.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:13 pm

…and lines are made of points!! Image You could say that a polygon is points too!
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:27 am

I am thinking along the lines of vector graphics and scalability. Computer science does not recognize that a dot on a page is actually a three-dimentional object.

These values need to be held in order to further computer science and all those fancy projects like the internet that rely on things like computer science:

1. Highest-fidelity sensory input
-- this means highest-quality audio and vector (scalable) graphics
-- this means at least 192kHz audio sampling at 64-bit Floating Point Unit depth rate (we're talking like 150 MB per minute if we're going to use .wav format) using current tools
-- this means at least PNG for static resolution images and at least PDF for vector graphics using current tools
2. Human-healthy and ergonomic input tools
-- think about musical instruments and how many musicians suffer debilitating tendonitis because their instruments are not ergonomic
-- think about the lame mouse and keyboard and 2-D computer monitor being replaced by 3-D alternatives and size-modifiable projection displays (rather than resolution-modifiable backlit monitors)
-- think about how humans adapt to their environments; do we all want to become weak and fat and lazy because we sit at our computers all day using flawed input devices?

Finally, if people stopped hoarding resources and worked to the advantage of all mankind, they would realize that greed is only keeping the human race from greatness. People need to stop digging up their asses for gold and realize that each person on the face of the earth has the resources to make a self-powered, ergonomic, environmentally-friendly, nuclear-powered super computer based upon some of the world's most abundant natural resources. Now if they can stop being so greedy and set their focus on that rather on their own stomachs and fear-driven money insanity, they would realize exactly what I'm talking about. But no, people make patents and hoard and steal and lie and cheat and all this other f-ed up nonsense that the laws of societies try to neutralize. Look around and think collaboratively for a change. Live your ideals and others will follow.

I'm talking water, dirt and air. These are enough. It just takes time, imagination and understanding --- much more imagination than creating cubic block images of natural resources in a game like Minecraft.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Excend
Commando

Post by Excend » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:11 am

TaxiService wrote:…and lines are made of points!! Image You could say that a polygon is points too!
That's what I said? O.O

And Sparky... I'm not seeing rational connections in your logic, but I agree that adding a third dimension to computers would be useful, but impractical for the common person. This means that commercially, it's not a sound investment, and probably won't be done for a while.
TaxiService wrote:Roses are red
Violets are blue
What a shitty thread
Fuck all of you.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:51 am

LOL but that's what I'm saying, it IS a commercially-sound investment because that's the goal for most people. And it's the goal for the reasons I already listed.

The goal would need to be an accurate transcription of the universe in computer programming intelligence. A "point" would need to be the smallest object known even in theory. I'm talking electrons, quarks, whatever. Object models in graphics applications would need to recognize a table as consisting of cuts of wood that consist of plant cells that consist of carbon elements... in order to say that the corner of the table is not a vertex but a polygon cell made up of atoms. That's the best we'll get to vector graphics and legitimate visual representations in the computing language department. You could even keep perspective as it is so that the processor handles microscopic zoom dynamically, but physics could become much more realistic. The problem is only the display hardware that can display more than a few thousand pixels in each direction. (hint: lasers)

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu May 10, 2012 12:44 pm