Mac OS 10.7 SDK

Everything related to programming.
Sparky
Delta Force

Mac OS 10.7 SDK

Post by Sparky » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:24 pm

Do I need to have OS 10.7 to use the 10.7 SDK, or will it work with 10.6 also? And where do I download the 10.7 SDK?
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Re: Mac OS 10.7 SDK

Post by nil » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:48 am

Yes, you need to be using Xcode 4 and 10.7 to use the 10.7 SDK (it simply does not make sense otherwise: to test things in 10.7, you want to be running 10.7).

Using the 10.7 SDK doesn't mean you lose compatibility with 10.6 - the SDK doesn't have anything to do with that. You just need to make sure you only use Lion APIs when the program is being run under Lion.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:11 am

I haven't heard any opinions about this so far, but does Lion offer anything substantially improved when it comes to fullscreen mode over traditional methods of making a fullscreen application? Besides that "expand window into fullscreen mode" button (which should simply replace the functionality of the zoom window button honestly), is there anything else?

If there is no real reason to make programs for 10.7, I'm going to stick to 10.6.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:47 pm

Sparky wrote:I haven't heard any opinions about this so far, but does Lion offer anything substantially improved when it comes to fullscreen mode over traditional methods of making a fullscreen application? Besides that "expand window into fullscreen mode" button (which should simply replace the functionality of the zoom window button honestly), is there anything else?

If there is no real reason to make programs for 10.7, I'm going to stick to 10.6.
Fullscreen is dead simple to implement on 10.7 and works consistently with all other fullscreen apps in the OS. Consistency is important. There's simply no excuse to avoid writing features to work under 10.7 but not in 10.6 as it's possible to maintain compatibility with both. (Similarly, you should be testing if your program works on 10.7 anyway, as well as any other OS you choose to deploy to).
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!