The New Boston - Programming Tutorials and More

Everything related to programming.
Fonzeh
Ranger
Location: "I didn't just take your mom out to dinner. I ate your mom for dinner."

The New Boston - Programming Tutorials and More

Post by Fonzeh » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:52 pm

http://www.thenewboston.com/?page_id=14

Nothing more needs to be said here, this guy is amazing and really keeps you interested. Covers damn near anything you would want to do.

Learn and create my friends. I have given you the hammer and anvil, make your sword and shield.

Also their forum, also full of information.

http://tnbforum.com/index.php
G[v]N wrote:HUGE NOTIFICATION
THIS GRAVY HAS BRAINS
Mota-Lev was here 30/4/2010@2:18pm

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Re: The New Boston - Programming Tutorials and More

Post by TaxiService » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:08 pm

Oh my! They have photoshop tutorials too! That's great! -I have to teach photoshop to a couple of guys and i could get some inspiration from there or something-

Thanks fo' sharing! :]
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

draconic74
Green Beret

Post by draconic74 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:07 am

Hammer and Anvil?
HE TEACHES YOU TO MAKE HALF LIFE AND MARATHON MAPS?!?

I kid, although I would love some Hammer tutorials. UDK just doesn't do it for me, considering I have no Unreal games. But I should really go and learn some stuff. Perhaps I can get into Blender some.

kiddten
Commando

Post by kiddten » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:03 am

Hey drac, I recommend this tutorial on the valve dev wiki:
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Your_First_Map.
Just click "Getting Started" and you should be set.
I know my way around hammer and the source sdk, and I think olly12345/smythe does a little too, so feel free to pop me a question if you need some help.

EDIT: and once you get into it, the dev wiki can be a great place to find things out, and www.interlopers.net has some cool stuff on it.
It's probably best to start mapping with hl2, starting with tf2 or css just adds extra complications you don't need as a starter.
kiddten, on most things nowadays wrote:no
TaxiService wrote:HERE IS THE GODDAMN WALDO YOU CHEATING DICK
๖ۣۜĐeяP wrote:U MOTHER FUCKER AND U FUCKING PARENTS AND FUCKED OFF ASS HOLES

draconic74
Green Beret

Post by draconic74 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:17 am

I got the basics down from messing with Portal 2 maps, and some of the more hardcore stuff from Portal 1 (thank GOD for Valve simplifying Portal 2 setpieces... making a door from scratch every goddamn time really puts me off from mapping)

Anyways, I would love to know more about Half-Life campaign style maps. I have always wanted to make some horror maps. I feel like I have some interesting ideas that are new and not overused in that genre. In fact, it seems the Nightmare House 2 guys have released their source files. That would certainly be something to look to for a bit of guidance. In fact, they have a sort of "random spook system" which is very close to one of the ideas I had. In other words, keep people on edge, mix up the scares, have 5-10 different versions in different places, never have it play out the same way twice. It also occasionally pops you from a random direction for one health, as if you were being attacked, or random environmental sounds play, stuff like that.

Also, because I am so sick and twisted, I would take advantage of common player behavior, such as stopping to recharge your flashlight, or simply not moving for a while, trying to muster up courage for the next area. Imagine being in utter blackness for a minute, letting the light charge and taking a small nom nom break from the game. Switch that light back on and *ALMA IN YO FACE* and then she is gone. Can't do that too much though or it's predictable. This is something that most horror games lack. There is generally little re-playability if you know where all the scares are.

This is also something I want to do with Minecraft. Creepers are bad enough, since you can't hear them until the hissing and BOOM. But imagine creepers that walk up behind you and just stop. And then only explode when they get in your FoV. Heart attacks galore.

kiddten
Commando

Post by kiddten » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:28 am

haha! I think on either or both the dev wiki and interlopers there are bits about how to use light to make people feel safe and how to make them feel uneasy.
what happens is a warm coloured light makes people feel safe, so if you add a scare in a "safe" spot that would unease people for the next area.
kiddten, on most things nowadays wrote:no
TaxiService wrote:HERE IS THE GODDAMN WALDO YOU CHEATING DICK
๖ۣۜĐeяP wrote:U MOTHER FUCKER AND U FUCKING PARENTS AND FUCKED OFF ASS HOLES

draconic74
Green Beret

Post by draconic74 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:43 pm

The only place where I can think of warm lights working for a horror game is Amnesia. Because those were due to candles or your lantern, you felt safe in that light until a monster was present, then your nice light was a deathtrap and darkness was your friend (but still your enemy, hello plummeting sanity). It works because you cannot kill things. Which is why Amnesia is volumes more terrifying then Penumbra.

Take a game like Nightmare House though, it is essentially dark ALL the time. You get a flashlight that lasts for a minute or two and recharges in 2 seconds. But rarely is there environmental light, and generally when there is you can expect something. And even then, what happens is generally completely unexpected, or nothing happens at all. To me, the inability to predict what will happen is infinitely more terrifying then jump scares. Creating an atmosphere of uneasiness is as easy as turning off all the lights and handing the player a flashlight.

I think I'll have to play the game, then go into hammer and dissect everything I can. I am especially looking forward to figuring out how the mannequin level works. Probably a lot of trigger_look's involved. Or they could be AI, hard to tell. Also, I'm still trying to figure out a mechanic whereby you can't just kill everything, but is unlike Amnesia where all you can do is hide and run. I suppose the Silent Hill approach of slow, tedious combat is one method, but something more subtle then that would be better I think.