Fonzie's Tips on Getting started with programming

Everything related to programming.
Fonzeh
Ranger
Location: "I didn't just take your mom out to dinner. I ate your mom for dinner."

Fonzie's Tips on Getting started with programming

Post by Fonzeh » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:47 pm

No matter what programming language you choose, the real problem is getting focused to learn. Anyone can read a book, watch a movie, but it's the mindset your in that matters whether or not your wasting your time.

So here what you do, you sit down, and you say IM GONNA FUCKING DO THIS.

Then you do it.

Some may say to learn c first. Then learn the c lineage. This is a good idea. Especially when you get to other languages. Most languages have similar basic syntax to c.
Have fun perfecting that too. It's kinda like solving a puzzle to get something to work. Really cool. Yeh

Another thing, I am listening to classical music as i type. Why you ask? Yes and no.

I listen to classical music because it helps me concentrate. I also listen to classical music when I program because it's been proven that the music stimulates brain growth in not only young children, but adults. I've found that while programming while listening to classical music, I programmed faster, and was able to retain more information.

I used to have a torrent link here. But now that I'm older there's a safer smarter way.

Make a Pandora account and create a classical radio station. Done. Boom. And you don't have to download a cluster of shit

Above is what I am currently listening too, and has enough tracks to keep you entertained for a while.

Another suggestion would be going to thenewboston.com and choosing your programing language you wish to learn.

If you on a macintosh, I would suggest you learn obj -c.

Others may tell you to start learning other languages first, like python which is a good idea and really is no harm in doing. It's overall more knowledge which benefits you in the long run. But what im saying is the video tutorials at thenewboston start completely from scratch, defining everything down to the last syntax of code, so realistically you could start any language at any time.

You could also watch lectures on YouTube. So many tutorials and informative videos on there. Tuck in.

If your on windows I would suggest C++, since that is used for many large scale applications, and is surprisingly very powerful and works with windows on a scale that I couldn't have even thought of.

What i mean is I never understood programming untill recently, i never knew all that i could do. Now learning what ive learned, and i plan on learning much more, I have a pluthera of ideas that i cant wait to make into a reality.

if your on a macintosh I would assume you would use xcode.

if your on windows I personally would use codeblocks, it's an awesome ide with different compilers, which bucky from thenewboston takes you through the very easy setup. This is what I use and is totally customizable. Meaning the look, feel and everything is at your command.

Anybody else has any tips on getting started please feel free to add below. Have fun guys!
Last edited by Fonzeh on Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
G[v]N wrote:HUGE NOTIFICATION
THIS GRAVY HAS BRAINS
Mota-Lev was here 30/4/2010@2:18pm

draconic74
Green Beret

Re: Fonzie's Tips on Getting started with programming

Post by draconic74 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:51 pm

Music is definitely a big part of it. But also, for some reason, are deadlines. That assignment I rambled about is due in ten hours, has been assigned for two weeks, it's half done (procrastination ftw) and yet I have done the most coding in the last few hours. I don't get it, but when it comes down to the last few hours my programming speed increases to the point where my brain is writing lines faster then my hands.

But, uh... You shouldn't do that, folks. Plus, self-teaching does not give deadlines, so this won't work anyway. Also, I applaud your classical listening. For me, I listen to "modern" classical, which in other words means music with little to no words and not extremely fast pace or explody. Moderate pace and explosivity is good. A good example is most of the stuff on the Halo Soundtracks. Now that is classical music.

Or, you know, you could listen to this (oh look, irony - how is this not explosive?):

It also makes you feel like epic when you are coding. Most of their songs do. I came across them on Pandora. Somehow I got from Pendulum, detouring through Daft Punk and Muse to this. I'm not sure what type of music it is.

Perhaps if people have some other favorites for music, we could compile a playlist on youtube or something. I'm pretty sure most classical works are already there, and then you have stuff like the above, and probably most songs you could think of.

Fonzeh
Ranger
Location: "I didn't just take your mom out to dinner. I ate your mom for dinner."

Post by Fonzeh » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:58 pm

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFucking epic.

I must have moar, sauce?

Jk brb google.

Also lol deadlines. at least your getting it done though bro, tell me, have you any other form of contact while your on the net? I don't know if you have AIM or not

Also, such beautiful artists...
THIS GRAVY HAS BRAINS

draconic74
Green Beret

Post by draconic74 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:09 am

Glad you liked it. It seems their music studio has a tight hold on the music for these guys, so you wont be finding vids with just music. Here are two more personal favorites from them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWzwKBoW_OA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3nBuwOPu8A

Another thing I have found fairly important is the environment you program in. You are probably just using the equivalent of a souped-up text editor with syntax highlighting, auto-indent, maybe auto complete, maybe more. Or you might be using TextEdit, I don't know...

Anyway, after staring at the screen for a long time, the white starts to sort of drown out your vision. I try to use a dark background with white text and light-colored highlighting. This seems to help immensely. Anyone else find this sort of thing useful?

Right now, I am forced to use black text on white because the dark-style Ada highlighting in gedit isn't very good - functions, variables and other stuff is all the same color. And I can say after looking at MGM's wonderful color scheme for a mere five minutes, I am almost blinded when switching back to gedit. If you have not tried a reverse color scheme (hell, even the oldschool matrixy green text on black), figure out how to do it, and tell me what you think.

Bonus round:

You know this song, I know you do. First to name where it's from without looking it up, Username.cookie++ to you
PS: Lawl at all the comments on the video. Pandora did great justice by popping this song up on so many people's stations
Last edited by draconic74 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fonzeh
Ranger

Post by Fonzeh » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:11 am

meh, after you said something i went and changed mine up.

Its sexy.
Last edited by Fonzeh on Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
THIS GRAVY HAS BRAINS

draconic74
Green Beret

Post by draconic74 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:20 am

If I could find the XML files detailing gedit's schemes, I would take the classic highlighting and reverse black and white, and that would be awesome. For now I just hit Apple+R.

I have AIM, although it's been ages since I used it (and yet Adium still sits in the Dock...?). I got Skype, and I got you on it, though the last time I recall you on it was a 5-man troll team on Runescape with some other MGM friends. Like years ago. And then I suppose I could get on the MGM IRC more often. That would be a pretty good place, and it could certainly use the traffic -_-

For now I'll be on IRC, I guess. It might be a long night. I might just break down after I finish this bit and play some TF2. I have had very little gaming this entire 4-day weekend...

Colloquy AHOY!
Fun fact: The only reason I came back here was because Colloquy was still on my Dock, and I accidentally clicked it when going for Skype. Had a nice little chat with Mono. Then later had a nice chat with Taxi on Steam. This site was still bookmarked, and I'm damn glad I kept it that way. It's good to be back, have I said that?
Last edited by draconic74 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fonzeh
Ranger

Post by Fonzeh » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:21 am

I shall join you in Tf2, I try to play it, it's a good game I just cant seem to get into it
THIS GRAVY HAS BRAINS

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:26 am

When i used to program in Python i used to listen to one of those iTunes radios… where is it…
ah here it is. Under Electronica: (or electronic, i guess?)

Thank me later ;]
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:21 pm

Fonzie, you remind me of when I was in high school learning C++. I wrote some C++ programs and put them and other random things on my FIRST EVER web site hosted through Angelfire. That was waay back in the day...

SPARKY'S FIRST WEB SITE
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Fonzeh
Ranger

Post by Fonzeh » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:33 pm

you made this in 04? The fuuuuuuuck? Bro, my age assumption for you just skyrocketed.
THIS GRAVY HAS BRAINS

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:59 pm

Holy fuck guys. That bond song is my childhood just saying. That was like a family song. That and Moby was what my dad would play for us all the time...

EDIT: Also this is completely off topic sorrryy
Last edited by Amy on Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:01 pm

Fonzie wrote:you made this in 04? The fuuuuuuuck? Bro, my age assumption for you just skyrocketed.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Fonzeh
Ranger

Post by Fonzeh » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:15 pm

meh, 20.

Guess your not Al Capwn old lol
THIS GRAVY HAS BRAINS

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:03 pm

Sounds like "epic classical". Check this out:

Though I have to say, thats not very relaxing. I listen to metallica, godsmack, and disturbed while doing homework and shit and its the same speed effect. I tried classical but I got bored.
Yarok wrote:There may be a giant dildo protruding from your forehead.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:34 pm

http://www.angelfire.com/nj/peanutbutter/pbj.html wrote:The song which should be playing is entitled "Night". It is taken from Bugdom (a game by Pangea Software).
HOLY SHIT DUDE

HOLY SHIT

MY CHILDHOOD
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig