Submitting A MD Mod

Submit mods to be added to the HaloMD database.
nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Submitting A MD Mod

Post by nil » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:41 pm

Create a new thread with the following format:
Mod Name: Triforce
(If you're submitting an update, this name must be the same as the last version).

Version: 1.0

One Sentence Description: Spawn with a shotgun, pistol, and sniper!
(Leave this blank if you're submitting a mod update and the description hasn't changed).

List of extensions the mod relies on (if applicable): N/A

Link to Uploaded Mod: http://mediafire.com/xfiwjf/iwishiwasatruelink
To upload a mod, compress the mod (control click on the map file in Finder and "Compress" it) and upload the zipped file online using a website like Mediafire.

If your mod relies on an extension (if you don't know what this means don't worry about it), then the extensions need to be submitted first.

I (or another MD submission group member) will then approve or disapprove the mod. You will receive an email notification when this happens. (Be sure to configure your email address appropriately in your forum settings!)

Modders will not be able to see other modder's submissions. Unfortunately as a side effect, you will not be able to see your own topics, so submit carefully!

When a mod is approved, you are then free (and encouraged) to create a new topic in the Mod Releases forum.

If you want to speed up the submission process, you are encouraged to let a mod submission member (such as 002 or myself) know that you have submitted it by PMing them or through other means.

---------

Tips:

1) Make your mod intuitive and fun to learn. You will not be able to provide instructions or a "Read Me" to players. Good design implies that gameplay elements don't need to be explained, but can be figured out by players.

2) Only include what you need in the map for it to be playable. The more bloat you include, the bigger the file size of your map is. The truth is that bigger mods are more prone to download failures, and longer downloading times decrease the chance of people wanting to play them.

3) Test your mod! Run them by with your friends. Make sure your mod doesn't break the in-game console commands. Make sure your mod doesn't crash in certain scenarios. Test your mod with and without pixel shaders. Try to (if you can) test your mod on the dedicated server software and see if it runs there. If your mod doesn't work for certain people or for certain scenarios, there's a good chance it's in some way broken.

4) Show your mod! After it's approved, host and join a game with your new mod. People are curious and will most likely want to join in. This is how mods become known to MD players. If you need help and want one of us to host a mod on one of our dedicated servers, please talk to nil or 002.

5) Expect feedback. Almost no mod is completely finished when first submitted, and almost everyone submits updates afterwards. Once you submit a mod, before planning to submit an update immediately, take your time and give some thought into it. Keep in mind that people may not want to install an update to a mod as frequently as every other day.

6) Remember your audience: you are creating mods that are going to be played primarily by players, not modders! Try to make your mod as good as possible to play on multiplayer. Try to rid of features that rely on unreliable syncing issues, that cause big lag to the map, etc.

---------

Reasons for disapproval may possibly include: noticeable glitches or bugs in mod, complete rips from full-version maps (except bloodgulch) without significant modifications, using another modder's work without permission, file size is greater than 200 MB when not zipped. Also, capital letters aren't allowed to be used in filenames. If there is a problem, we will send a private message to you on the forums.

If you are submitting another person's mod without permission, I or another submission member will not be obliged to upload it and will entirely be up to our discretion.

When a mod is approved, it will also take a certain amount of time for it to propagate over so that other people can play on it. You can expect that within a day, it will completely propagate over, though it will usually go through much faster than that.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Re: Submitting A MD Mod

Post by nil » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:30 pm

I'm adding a rule:

From now on, I am most likely (unless you can try to convince me otherwise: e.g. with mod's originality) going to disapprove multiplayer mods that are greater than 200 MB when uncompressed.

Why?

Because they are a hassle to update and have on the database, they take a long time to download, and are frequently a sign of importing/ripping content, or a sign of including huge globs of unnecessary internalized data.

Idealistically mods should be < 100 MB. Even better, they are only slightly bigger than blood gulch. So here I'm going to put the mark at the lenient 200 MB mark.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!