Ranger

Finally some news.... NO GR2!!!!

Post by Vir2L™ » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:36 pm

I had a feeling about this........
UbiRazz
UK Community Manager

posted 11 Apr 2005 11:56 AM 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"This decision was not an easy one.

We did not want to disappoint the loyal Ghost Recon fans, but we did not want to risk releasing a final product that did not meet their high expectations. With the launch of Ghost Recon 3 planned for Winter 2005, significant human resources were needed to ensure the quality of the future instalment of the series, thus potentially jeopardizing the quality of either Ghost Recon 2 PC or Ghost Recon 3. Taking into account their close release dates, and the fact that we felt the third opus would be a much more satisfying and evolved gaming experience, we were forced to conclude that it was in the interest of gamers for us to cancel the PC version of Ghost Recon 2. But Ghost Recon 3 on PC will hit shelves the fourth quarter of 2005, so the wait won’t be long, and will definitely be worth it."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I realise that this isn't a very nice thing to happen at all, and feel free to vent here, but please don't let your emotions get carried away with yourself. Anyone who breaks the forum rules could find their posts are removed.

HangtownSOG
Ubisoft Community Manager

posted 11 Apr 2005 12:06 PM 
Sorry for the bad news, folks. I am happy to know that there is commitment to GR3 PC.
from http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s ... 4201090703
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter."

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:59 pm

Everyone saw that coming once Ghost Recon 3 was announced. 8) Everyone complained that Ghost Recon 2 would of sucked on the PC because its 3rd person view. I bet Ghost Recon 3 will be back to the first person view that everyone wants.
Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter. -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:39 pm

I saw it coming when they released GR2 on the consoles. It wasn't the game we wanted.

And the 3rd person/over the shoulder view wasn't the only reason it sucked... it is a linear arcadey POS. Far from the tactical realism that we all know and love in GR1.

I wouldn't bet on anything about the GR3 release.

UBI has alot of work to do in proving to the PC crowd that they still know what we want, though it's obvious that they have somewhat of a clue because they knew to drop the GR2 release, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up until I see some solid information on the release of GR3.

TrueLT
Peon

Post by TrueLT » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:46 pm

In the mean time sign this petition going around GR.net for the SDK, its a longshot but hell why not.
http://www.petitiononline.com/GR1SDK/petition.html
The enemy diversion you're ignoring is the main assault.

Dark uk
Operative

Post by Dark uk » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:40 am

lol, Im not dissapointed. I'm sure its for the best.

[BIG] Ranger
Operative

Post by [BIG] Ranger » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:20 am

Well I didn't see this coming - LOL

I was just too worried that it will take a year after that before GR is released for the Mac and then will undoubtedly need some mega G5 with a 128 ATI cad to run the blasted thing!

I tell you what - I have noticed a big rise lately in people oing back to play the original GR on GameRanger. I have seen a lot of old timers popping up that haven't been on for a long while...

I suspect it is because they know that there will now be a HUGE wait before the next GR is on the Mac, so have floated back to playing GR again because they can't face going that long without playing it.

Old timers like Major Pain have been back after a YEAR of being away (I was away for about 6 months myself having moved over to playing joint Operations on the PC).

The original GR is still fantastic - and there are a host of new mods out there that will keep the game fresh until GR3 does come out for the Mac...

BUT...I predict this:

When GR3 DOES eventually come out for the Mac, it will be so processor intensive and slow that a lot of people will continue to play GR anyway!!! (As you can get a decent game on GameRAnger even on an old G3 and a 56k modem - although it is not recommended!)

:)

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:29 pm

hehe, I can imagine a few buddies that'll still be playing GR1 when GR4 is out. Too funny.

I have a feeling that there's gonna be a little resurgance of new mods being released because of this news. And we all know what that means.... we'll keep playing!

Blade
Veteran

Post by Blade » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:32 am

And it's a good thing, because I just bought the game!

LordLothar
SEAL

Post by LordLothar » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:04 pm

as long as mods keep coming out that keep the game interesting then people will keep playing it also the people that are like me who dont see getting a g5 in the future will keep playing it so ghost recon probably wont die out for a few years
hooah
Ich stehe alleine

Blade
Veteran

Post by Blade » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:21 pm

And, as ViR2L put it once, GhR2 was made for xbox to satisfy the community-10 year old shoot 'em up players. It's easy to notice when you play... reminds me of RS.

Phi

Post by Phi » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:45 am

Reminds you of a better game?

Selix
Veteran

Post by Selix » Wed May 04, 2005 5:59 am

You guys are talking about GhR3 and GhR4......when they haven't even come out with either yet.

You people need to stop looking so far ahead. Sure, go upgrade your computer, you'll be able to play games that come out now. If you sit and wait for the games that are coming then you'll never have the experience of playing with the people now.

Plus, normally when they bring out a new game, expansion, etc., they create it like some of the older versions. So get good at the ones now, so you'll be ready for the new!

Bwahaha, I'm good.

Blade
Veteran

Post by Blade » Wed May 04, 2005 6:31 am

I recall people talked about Doom 3 before the release. I know a few thousand people who are talking about Halo 3, funny it hasn't been released either.

No, you're not "good." Everyone that posted in this topic plays, regularly or occasionally (most have lives), games. Don't snap at people for posting about a civilized, meaningful topic in a forum you claim to advertise. You're not an administrator, you're not a moderator... this isn't your forum. I guess my point is...

STFU

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Wed May 04, 2005 9:06 am

Selix wrote:You guys are talking about GhR3 and GhR4......when they haven't even come out with either yet.

You people need to stop looking so far ahead. Sure, go upgrade your computer, you'll be able to play games that come out now. If you sit and wait for the games that are coming then you'll never have the experience of playing with the people now.

Plus, normally when they bring out a new game, expansion, etc., they create it like some of the older versions. So get good at the ones now, so you'll be ready for the new!

Bwahaha, I'm good.
uh

What the hell are you talking about? Do you even know?

Ghost Recon 3 is being debuted in 2 weeks at E3.

Some of us have been playing the original Ghost Recon since it was released. Again, do you even know what you are talking about and is there a point?

Selix
Veteran

Post by Selix » Wed May 04, 2005 7:45 pm

Slip of the fingers on 3/4, I meant 4/5.

Blade, I wasn't snapping, you're temper is -way- out of control. Of all people, you should be able to tell when someone is angered or frustrated when typing, seeing as that many seem to be agitated by your personality.

True, you could say that many -do- like your sarcastic, frantic remarks, but not all do.

Virl, my posts do have meaning and easy-based judgement. Problem is, half of the time I'm either half awake or half hyper..so my judgement is nearly always 'straight'.