'Battlefield 2' - The next 'Ghost Recon'?

Everything about GhR and its mods.
[BIG] Ranger
Operative

'Battlefield 2' - The next 'Ghost Recon'?

Post by [BIG] Ranger » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:25 am

Anyone seen the previews for 'Battlefield 2'?

Well, if not you should take a look: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/battlefield-2/572130p1.html

I personally have moved mostly over to Novalogic's 'Joint Operations Escallation' on the PC - but the talk on the JO forums is that many people on this game are gonna move over to BF2 when it arrives in July.

To be honest I feel completely let down that the Ghost Recon series update has been been delayed, cancelled, skipped and delayed again!

By now we should have a new Ghost Recon on our computers - but with Battlefield 2 coming out it looks like GhR may have missed the boat...

Having said that - I wonder how long it will take BF2 to come out for the Mac?

I would have been happy if Joint Ops had come out for teh Mac this summer (it would blow your socks off).

Is it my imagination or have the ports from PC to Mac slowed down again after the original excitment about OSX wore off?

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:50 pm

BF2 isn't going to have a coop feature. They are focusing on multiplayer action. This isn't all bad but it may discourage some people from playing it.
Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter. -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:23 am

That's unfortunate that they aren't including Coop. I think the whole concept of the Squad Commanding, that they are flaunting in BF2,could work well as a coop gametype. I can see AI following orders before i see some random person even know what squad tactics even are to care about what the Platoon Leader is even saying, especially in 32+ person rooms.

The game has alot of potential. We'll see if the general public will even know what to do when they get it.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter."

[BIG] Ranger
Operative

Post by [BIG] Ranger » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:28 pm

'Joint Operations' has a coop feature - but nobody plays it (well, hardly anybody!)...

And the reason is that the multiplayer game IS coop...It's team co-operation to overcome the other team.

I find this form of coop more challenging that the traditional AI based coop game.

Coop-ing against a real human enemy is the most challenging squad competition...

This is why BF2 has probably dropped the AI coop feature - experienced players just don't think it holds water. As for rooky players - isn't it better they learn coop in a 'real' battlefield senario against a more challenging opponent.

I know this kinda marginalizes the single player - but then again we are talking about MULTIPLAYER games!

...When was teh last time you played a single player coop mission? And as for multiplayer coop - it's a one shot thing, it is never as interesting or exciting as the first time you play it.

Multiplayer team play on the other hand is never the same twice...And it is this unpredictability that makes it both more 'realistric' and more exciting.

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:20 pm

[BIG] Ranger wrote:...When was teh last time you played a single player coop mission?
About an hour ago. But that was Ghost Recon, and there aren't any other games with a similar SP Coop (or MP Coop) that even compare. Even tho we (the SP and MP coop community) are a minority doesn't mean we should be forgotten. There are people out here that like to play as a special ops operators rather than some army grunt thats job is to run shoot and die. Most "Multiplayer games" on the market are just that, run n gun, and you hardly ever run into players that use teamwork, unless you are on clan/squad servers. Hence most Coop servers have people on them who prefer to use teamwork. That is why most coop players prefer the gametype rather than some random MP server with a bunch of rambos, not to mention ego's, running around not caring about teamwork.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter."