modders

Everything about GhR and its mods.
Vir2L™
Ranger

modders

Post by Vir2L™ » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:59 am

What is The deal with modders that release their missions to the public yet they update them every other day?

If you are gonna release your missions TO THE PUBLIC, they should be the final product. ya think?!

We (the public) are not your beta test team. You should get together your own beta test team (like you used to have) and crack and adjust your missions privately with them. And then release your work when the testing is COMPLETE and you are not going to change them anymore.

What is ironic is the modder that I vaguely speak of used to have a tight knit crew/beta team to help him with his modding, yet he has ditched them for no reason and still expects the public to download his re-updated missions everyday to keep up to date. Besides, a beta team can help you get ideas for new missions, imagine that, so you won't have to rehash 2 year old ones cause you ran out of ideas.

What version number are these missions on now 1,876?

Granted your service you are doing for us is free, but thats not what we are here for. We want the final product.

I no longer support modders that leave the beta testing up to the public.

end rant*
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter."

Dark uk
Operative

Post by Dark uk » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:05 am

I see your point, weren't his finished missions put in the AlphaSquad mod though? maybe I'm mistaken.

Has Tim totally ditched his Mac? or dos he still play on it? I've noticed he hangs around the alphasquad forums now.

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:37 am

Actually the ones in the mac version are old versions as well. When we did the alpha mod conversion I put the latest leary missions in the mod thinking they were the final product, yet if you check his webpage you will notice he has taken down the alpha mod missions and he re did them so they all work in the original Ghost Recon expansions (origmiss, mp1 and mp2).

What is kinda funny is if any PC players manually dropped his re-updated missions in their alpha mod and then tried to run the .exe updater (alpha 2.4 patch) it will not work. The updater patch is looking for original files, not the re-hash everyday updated leary mission files.

Heck, even alpha squad mentioned how they didn't want to be Leary's personal beta test team. You'd think he woulda gotten the point, but obviously not.

No Tim hasn't ditched his Mac, only the community that helped him get to where he is today, by buying him a computer to mod the game on and paying for his premium service on gameranger for 2 years.

deleyt

Post by deleyt » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:30 pm

Are you saying you're paying him money to mod??? :shock:

BTW: what place would that be where he is at now?

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:34 pm

deleyt wrote:Are you saying you're paying him money to mod??? :shock:
A few of us have paypal'd money to support him while he scripts missions for Ghost Recon. He was in a hard place, so we helped him out, so to speak.

Not anymore.

We used to be close. For instance, I would give him blueprints for mission ideas and he would script them. We had a beta test team. We would all play together daily, yet it was always a rollercoaster ride it seemed. And one day he just basically disappeared from the mac community.
deleyt wrote:BTW: what place would that be where he is at now?
Alpha Squad forums and game server. I don't blame him for playing there. Alpha hosts some of the best COOP games, not to mention script killer missions. Learn from the best. I just find it strange that he left the mac community with all the "support" we gave him.

[MA]NC37

Post by [MA]NC37 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:25 pm

Wondered what happened to him. Oh well, had some fun times on his server back in the good ole days. Guess thats just how things go, ppl move on, but it really bites when they just up and vanish like that. I try not to take it personally anymore :D.