problem with 2.5

Everything about GhR and its mods.
Timmy

problem with 2.5

Post by Timmy » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:34 am

Ok. Here's the deal.

AS 2.5

For the CQB category, choose any kit with a sensor. Any.

You get a loud M468 rifle with no secondary. Happens with any CQB kit.

Thought you should know: SOG is scheduled to play AS tourney mission 1 tonite.

timmy

Post by timmy » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:21 am

false alarm perhaps my response will be posted over AS forums.

I removed non essential mods and the problem went away.

Sorry for the scare.

I've tested this offline and it's FINE but not at AS server I'll try that now.

Also besides removing non AS 2.5 related mods I used "AS no restrictions".

Timmy

prob still exists online at AS server

Post by Timmy » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:50 am

Ok, well - problem still exists online.

But problem does not exist offline.

So I'll check the .kit restriction files :).

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:05 pm

we have been noticing some instances that this happens, also in the sniper category. maybe it is a string.txt issue, i did have to change alot of kit restriction files during conversion.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter."

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:33 pm

I've come up with a theory on why this is happening.

During the conversion process I had to change a bunch of long-file-names, most of which were .kit files. You can look at what files I had to fix by looking for the Green Highlighted files in the AS25 folder. And the only kits that are having the problems are the ones that I had to shorten.

For instance the file named heckler-koch_xm8compsd_02_f.kit that is in the AS25/kits/cqb-ra folder was renamed to a shorter filename. It's original name was heckler-koch_xm8compsd_02_frags.kit which is too long and causes Ghost Recon to crash and have other problems. Remember the Mac port will not read any file-name over 31 characters.

The file heckler-koch_xm8compsd_02_frags.kit was referenced in a few Restriction Kit files, so I had to open a few of those, including as_no_restrictions.kil and change the reference to the shorter file-name heckler-koch_xm8compsd_02_f.kit. Now multiply the process of locating all and changing all the long-file-names and the spots they were referenced by 80 and you'll start to realize why some of the kits are doing this. The more long-file-names, the more issues that can arise.

So the theory i have for the problem of some of the weapons going back to default is this:

When playing on a PC server, the mac players kit is looking for the short file name in the PC Hosts Kit Restriction file, which it wont find because of the lfile-name change that was done in the mac conversion.

I'm trying to think of a fix, but haven't quite figured it out. If I change the long-file-names back in the kit restriction files the kits don't show up correct in-game, i fi change the long-file-names back to their original name the game wont boot. I just wish all the long-file-names weren't added to the mod.

Leary any ideas on what could be done? Have you ever ran into one of these problems in previous mac conversions?

One solution for now is to NOT use any of the following kits:

CQB
M4 Aimpoint w/ remington secondary
MP5SD w/ remington secondary
XM8 Compact SD - ALL KITS

Sniper
M14 DMR SD - ALL KITS

Urban Sniper
M14 DMR SD - ALL KITS
M14 DMR - ALL KITS

Spotter
XM8 DMR - ALL KITS
M14 SMR - ALL KITS

If anyone finds other kits that are having issues, please let me know.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter."