New Computer

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Slapzy
Ranger

New Computer

Post by Slapzy » Sat May 22, 2010 5:33 pm

So finally being fed up with the speed of my 700mhz G4 iMac (Which is still awesome, just slow and obsolete except for minor tasks.) I went out and bought a newer one from a friend of mine.

Tis a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram, Lightscribe Drive, Nvidia GeForce 8400 graphics card custom built machine about 2 years old or so.

I figured, I'd been trying to buy a macbook since 2007, I might as well just give in and get a cheaper computer I can afford now, and when the funds become available, get a new mac.

I am happy <3
~ Teh Slapz
TaxiService wrote:OMG BARREL ROLL ON ACIDS
._. \·. |: /.· .-. ·.\ :| .·/ ._. \·. |: /.· .-. ·.\ :| .·/ ._.
WHOOHHAGHGHHGEHGR

kiddten
Commando

Re: New Computer

Post by kiddten » Sat May 22, 2010 6:06 pm

gratz, i'm still stuck on a g4 too :|
kiddten, on most things nowadays wrote:no
TaxiService wrote:HERE IS THE GODDAMN WALDO YOU CHEATING DICK
๖ۣۜĐeяP wrote:U MOTHER FUCKER AND U FUCKING PARENTS AND FUCKED OFF ASS HOLES

Mota-Lev
Green Beret

Post by Mota-Lev » Sat May 22, 2010 6:31 pm

Finallyyy... feels good man.

And happy b'day.
Stupid tinypic removing my images

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sat May 22, 2010 8:43 pm

Finally up to date :)! Let us hope you are on 10.6 now or soon?
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

seabeast
Green Beret

Post by seabeast » Sat May 22, 2010 10:20 pm

Wait, is this the white polycarbonate one? If it is, there's only one piece of advice I can give you: DON'T DROP IT. >_< I dropped mine and it practically killed the entire thing. The insurance covered it, but I still suspect they just gave me a new laptop.

Noodle
Delta Force

Post by Noodle » Sat May 22, 2010 10:42 pm

Beast, I think rule number one of keeping computers alive is not to drop them. >_>

That's how I've killed an iBook G4, and how my dad's killed three OS9 towers.

Slapzy
Ranger

Post by Slapzy » Sat May 22, 2010 11:28 pm

*cough*
It's a 2-3 year old PC.
Doesn't run counter-strike as smooth as I'd like, but it's playable.
And I can play halo and see the grass without hacks :D

New mac will come later.

Also fuck you Mota for reminding me that I am now 20.
~ Teh Slapz
WHOOHHAGHGHHGEHGR

Mota-Lev
Green Beret

Post by Mota-Lev » Sat May 22, 2010 11:44 pm

Slapzy wrote:Also fuck you Mota for reminding me that I am now 20.

Ha No prob.
Stupid tinypic removing my images

seabeast
Green Beret

Post by seabeast » Mon May 24, 2010 8:20 pm

Seafire wrote:Beast, I think rule number one of keeping computers alive is not to drop them. >_>
Well no derp. It's the white plastic Macbook that breaks really easily when dropped. A lot easier than other computers. <_< Also rule number one is don't use water.

Fonzeh
Ranger
Location: "I didn't just take your mom out to dinner. I ate your mom for dinner."

Post by Fonzeh » Fri May 28, 2010 5:08 pm

Epic slapz, now you can test my epicness.
G[v]N wrote:HUGE NOTIFICATION
THIS GRAVY HAS BRAINS
Mota-Lev was here 30/4/2010@2:18pm

Slapzy
Ranger

Post by Slapzy » Sat May 29, 2010 9:54 pm

Your epicness?
~ Teh Slapz
WHOOHHAGHGHHGEHGR

Fonzeh
Ranger
Location: "I didn't just take your mom out to dinner. I ate your mom for dinner."

Post by Fonzeh » Sun May 30, 2010 7:51 am

Yes Slappy.

Mai mother fucking epicness. IM me on aim and yew shall see.
G[v]N wrote:HUGE NOTIFICATION
THIS GRAVY HAS BRAINS
Mota-Lev was here 30/4/2010@2:18pm

Mike1122
Ranger

Post by Mike1122 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Slapzy wrote:So finally being fed up with the speed of my 700mhz G4 iMac (Which is still awesome, just slow and obsolete except for minor tasks.) I went out and bought a newer one from a friend of mine.

Tis a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram, Lightscribe Drive, Nvidia GeForce 8400 graphics card custom built machine about 2 years old or so.

I figured, I'd been trying to buy a macbook since 2007, I might as well just give in and get a cheaper computer I can afford now, and when the funds become available, get a new mac.

I am happy <3
Built myself an AM3 monster :)
lite-on blueray drive
thermaltake V9 case
1TB WD HD
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 board
Sapphire ATI HD5870
4GB DDR3 1600Mhz
AMD phenon X6 ( 6 cores )

and yes i can play crysis perfectly

draconic74
Green Beret

Post by draconic74 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:57 pm

@Slapzy: How much did you buy it for? Because the current Minis are a little better and still quite cheap.

@ Mike: But now you use Winbloze, right? Or some form of Linux? For me, Im not sure if its worth playing Crysis if I have to deal with Microsoft's BsOS. The only games I would play are by Valve, and thats coming to Mac anyway. Everything else can be played on my 360.

Maybe Microsoft's 360 department should combine with the Windows department. Maybe then we can finally get an OS that fits to Fitt's Law. No, wait. Leave it as is. Windows would probably contaminate the 360 OS...

{warning}
[complain][rant]
Anyway, in my case I just need an overall new computer. First Firefox 3 breaks. Then Firefox 2 breaks. Then Safari crashes constantly. I have not been able to open Activity Monitor and a few other Utilities from day 1. Games that ran fine on my last comp died on this one (although now Urban Terror runs fine... ) and the "graphics card" is integrated which in reality means it doesnt exist. Safari, on top of crashing, takes about 5 minutes to load any web pages after restarting from a crash. It's slow when trying to use Blender or TopMod or Wings (I have practically given up). It's slow running Photoshop (given up as well). It has major problems during Xcode, and I cant upgrade to the new version. There is junk everywhere. I have TWO Library folders, and I believe both are bring used by applications (wth???). My computer likes to "freeze" every once in a while, but I can still move my mouse, and after five minutes it completes all the actions I tried to do during its frozen state in a few seconds (imagine windows flying everywhere from the hotcorners, buttons being pressed all over the place, things quit, things start up, etc). Quitting anything takes forever. I recently repaired the permissions in an attempt to fix Activity Monitor to see if anything useless was slowing the comp down, and now it opens but displays nothing, and now Blender doesnt work. For some reason, when I connect my iPod is opens iPhoto instead of iTunes. On top of all that, the System Profiler is horribly messed up, since it regards my MacBook as my old iBook and information doesnt load correctly for some things. And finally, the light that goes on when the computer is supposed to sleep is broken, the edges of the top panel are coming off, and the CD drive must have been crushed somehow because it is a pain to get CDs into and out of the drive. Also, the x-variable button on my TI-89 is broken, my 360 doesnt always open the disk tray and I cant find any more good anime series to watch (sugestions?).
[/rant][/complain]

Do you guys think I need a new computer? (wth was with the stuff at the end?)
Last edited by draconic74 on Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Devious
Commando

Post by Devious » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:05 pm

Dunno the specs but this guy I know has a beast gaming deck. Without cooling it gets so hot you can bake a cake in it. To prevent this he needs 4 water cooling systems and who knows how many fans.
The armaments which thunderstrike the walls
And monarchs tremble in their capitals.
The oak leviathans, whose huge ribs make
Of lord of thee, and arbiter of war;
Alike the Armada's pride, or spoils of Trafalgar.