Ideas for a short story?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Pielogist
Ranger

Ideas for a short story?

Post by Pielogist » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:01 am

Well, to get to the point, i've been bored lately, and want to try with writing some short stories.

Short, because I'll never get myself to commit to writing a long one....

Anyways, anyone got any ideas for a story? Or just a theme for it....
I can't seem to think of a good storyline, would anyone care to please help?

Will post if i actually get around to finishing a story.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Re: Ideas for a short story?

Post by Mgalekgolo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:53 am

a cow meets an alien and gets converted into an alien!!!!!!!!
Yarok wrote:There may be a giant dildo protruding from your forehead.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:57 pm

I was also thinking of writing a story as well...
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Sugarlumps
Ranger

Post by Sugarlumps » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:16 pm

I don't think giving ideas for you would really help, it never worked for me.
I suggest looking for inspiration, whether it be glancing out of your window, or listening to music. Once you have the correct idea in your mind, you would be able to develop it, and expand it into one complete story. You should be able to visualize the story well, and be a "part" of it, that is, having branched out your thoughts, your mind should automatically wander into the characters, in which they would be constructed from your memories normally, something like a dream, where most of your memories are sliced and pieced together at once, but appears different.

Before I moved back I typed stories out, but never finished them. Apparently, thinking about the ending is about as hard as thinking of the beginning.
Click!

Kayar
Delta Force

Post by Kayar » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:52 pm

Sugarlumps has the right idea.

As an aspiring writer, I find that it is best when what you write comes directly from you and your own creative spring. Of course this by no means suggests you should not look for inspiration-- everything we write/make is recycled from our own personal experiences and knowledge. However, you should come up with the storyline to your own story yourself, and it should mean something to you, personally.

Sugarlumps mentioned thinking about ends and beginnings. I have discovered two plausible ways of writing a story, each with its own pros/cons:
You can write a story knowing the beginning and ending, but not the between. You could say, "The journey is more important than the end or the start." Get the beginning out of the way, and then let the rest leading up to the ending come naturally. Stream of consciousness has been my best friend. It could be yours as well, though everyone is different.
The other way, which I have recently found to be potentially easier, is to only know the beginning, and then write everything else through stream of consciousness. In fact, I have a story I have been working on for a while now which I began entirely without a beginning. I have only pre-directed its development in very minute ways, letting it just flow most of the time.

If stream of consciousness writing isn't your thing, I can't really help you too much... my level of college writing has not covered creative writing yet, unfortunately, to my great annoyance.
~Kayar~
TaxiService wrote:You haven't seen like the 90% of the dicks i drew. Someday i'll make a website where people will be able to browse the contents of my old notebooks.
WilliamSub wrote:They flock with your hormones
MGM Sig

crazyshroom
Ranger
Location: I'm sorry I'm in your house cooking bacon for my family

Post by crazyshroom » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:06 am

What genre do you like to write?

Pielogist
Ranger

Post by Pielogist » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:33 am

@ Sugar and Kayar: I understand that it's best if i get my own ideas, the reason I've posted this here was because i couldn't get any inspiration, i've had a couple of ideas, but nothing really solid that i can build up on. I mean, I'm not asking for real specific plots and storylines, but just vague ideas, kinda like so...
Mgalekgolo wrote:a cow meets an alien and gets converted into an alien!!!!!!!!
Okay, maybe that's a little weird... But that's the type of thing I'm looking for.... just ideas, or themes so that i can build up on

@ Stream of consciousness writing: Sounds like a nice way to approach it, will try.

@ Crazyshroom: Adventure

@ Mgalekgolo: Thanks, I don't think i'll write a story about that, but it'll effect my ideas in the future, which is precisely what i want.

EDIT: @ Divine: Cool story, br- I mean, Sis.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:37 pm

I have been brainstorming an idea in my head for a while. About...

so some people are born with a special power to control reality. The government wants them dead blah blah blah same old same old. idk was a dream i had...

also i am really bored.

also steal my idea and i kill you.
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Pielogist
Ranger

Post by Pielogist » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:49 am

heh, I've generally been disregarding ideas i've had that's got to do with government conspiracies and things of the sort.

I just feel like they've been overused in pop culture, movies, books, blah blah blah.

I've had ideas about aliens, superheros, vikings, mythology, the future, and all sorts of themes, but I didn't go with any of those because there were already so much of them of there.

Or maybe I'm just being too picky?

kiddten
Commando

Post by kiddten » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:12 am

how a about a story where you can't think of a story idea, but then you get a idea to write a story where you can't think of a story idea, but then you get a idea to write a story where you can't think of a story idea, but then you get a idea to write a story where you can't think of a story idea, but then you get a idea to write a story where you can't think of a story idea, but then you get a idea to write a story where you can't think of a story idea, but then you get a idea to write a story where you can't think of a story idea, but then you get a idea to write a story where you can't think of a story idea, but then you get a idea to write a story where you can't think of a story idea, but then you get a idea to write a story where you can't think of a story idea, but then you get a idea to write a story where you can't think of a story idea, but then you get a idea to write a story where you can't think of a story idea, but then you get a idea to write a story where you can't think of a story idea, but then you get a idea to write a story where you can't think of a story idea, but then you get a idea to write a story where you can't think of a story idea, but then you get a idea to write a story where you can't think of a story idea, but then you get a idea to write a story where you can't think of a story idea, but then you get a idea to write a story where you can't think of a story idea, but then you get a idea to write a story where you can't think of a story idea, but then you get a idea to write a story where you can't think of a story idea, but then you get a idea to write a story where you can't think of a story idea, but then you get a idea to write a story about a unicorn.
kiddten, on most things nowadays wrote:no
TaxiService wrote:HERE IS THE GODDAMN WALDO YOU CHEATING DICK
๖ۣۜĐeяP wrote:U MOTHER FUCKER AND U FUCKING PARENTS AND FUCKED OFF ASS HOLES

Sugarlumps
Ranger

Post by Sugarlumps » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:00 am

Have you read Robert Jordan's books? Its really good, and you should build up on that.

@Amy - Your idea isn't very original. Half the books on my bookshelf have something to do with:

"A person with a special ability"
"People hunting them"

That kinda thing. So sorry, but your idea was taken by others before you were born.

@Bunny - O_O
Click!

Pielogist
Ranger

Post by Pielogist » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:57 am

Sugarlumps wrote:Half the books on my bookshelf have something to do with:

"People hunting them"
Precisely!
Sugarlumps wrote:Have you read Robert Jordan's books? Its really good, and you should build up on that.
Robert Jordan? Where can i get his books? o_O

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:08 am

Sugarlumps wrote: @Amy - Your idea isn't very original. Half the books on my bookshelf have something to do with:

"People hunting them"

That kinda thing. So sorry, but your idea was taken by others before you were born.
MGM Sig

Kayar
Delta Force

Post by Kayar » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:03 am

Sugarlumps wrote:Have you read Robert Jordan's books? Its really good, and you should build up on that.
This, except, you contradict yourself when you post against Amy's idea, since the epic fantasy genre like The Wheel of Time series (Robert Jordan) has also already been done a billion times, so why tell Pie he should build on that, and then go and tell Amy not to go through with her idea?
~Kayar~
TaxiService wrote:You haven't seen like the 90% of the dicks i drew. Someday i'll make a website where people will be able to browse the contents of my old notebooks.
WilliamSub wrote:They flock with your hormones
MGM Sig

Sugarlumps
Ranger

Post by Sugarlumps » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:54 pm

Kayar wrote:
This, except, you contradict yourself when you post against Amy's idea, since the epic fantasy genre like The Wheel of Time series (Robert Jordan) has also already been done a billion times, so why tell Pie he should build on that, and then go and tell Amy not to go through with her idea?
Hmm...my bad for not reading through my post thoroughly enough. Sorry.

I mean, I'm not trying to say that it is a bad idea, just that it is kind of used many times before. Oh, I didn't really mean for my post to tell Amy to "not to go through with her idea", I was just saying that her idea was used before, because she said "steal my idea and i kill you", so to avoid any conflict I just simply state that her idea was not hers alone, for example, Pie could write the epic fantasy genre and post it here, where Amy might possibly think that he stole her idea.

All in all, I just stated it to everyone so that we could avoid conflict.

@Amy, no point in doing that, as it was only I who brought only news of the idea, not actually stealing it.
Click!