Battlefield 3 gameplay.

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Slapzy
Ranger

Battlefield 3 gameplay.

Post by Slapzy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:29 am

Sup, for those of you that haven't had a chance to watch or play the battlefield 3 beta yet..
I recorded a game last night of me sniping as a defender. Was a pretty good game. :D

~ Teh Slapz
TaxiService wrote:OMG BARREL ROLL ON ACIDS
._. \·. |: /.· .-. ·.\ :| .·/ ._. \·. |: /.· .-. ·.\ :| .·/ ._.
WHOOHHAGHGHHGEHGR

Yarok
Ranger

Re: Battlefield 3 gameplay.

Post by Yarok » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:37 am

> Epic quickscope gameplay
> Battlefield 3

ಠ_ಠ

Though they have put up Caspian Border servers now. Also, I shall be adding you to my small list of friends.
TaxiService wrote:I've got no soul
As I surreptitiously put my tallywhacker into the jet

Slapzy
Ranger

Post by Slapzy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:44 am

Yarok wrote:> Epic quickscope gameplay
> Battlefield 3
> Implying it's possible to remove any particular style of gameplay, or that it's impossible just because people say you can't.

Last I checked, in the majority of games, there's more complaining about fags proning in bushes on the edges of maps than at quickscopers. I don't see why people seem so upset over it. I've played as an aggressive sniper competitively in css and many other games. I enjoy it, and just because people in battlefield seem to have the mentality that you can't quickscope.. isn't going to stop me from quickscoping. O_o That's just my style, regardless of what you call it.
~ Teh Slapz
WHOOHHAGHGHHGEHGR

draconic74
Green Beret

Post by draconic74 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:14 am

... Yes, but "aggressive sniping" in CS:S and other games is there because of how the game plays. In a game like Battlefield you shouldn't be able to scope for a mere quarter second and still have perfect accuracy on your shot.

Though yes, from what I have seen, camping in a bush with a flash-suppressed weapon is almost the equivalent of a Ghost Pro, silenced sniper on MW2. You are insanely hard to spot. I can assure you, it is very much a matter of simply becoming the deadliest bush:

Slapzy
Ranger

Post by Slapzy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:52 am

draconic74 wrote:... Yes, but "aggressive sniping" in CS:S and other games is there because of how the game plays. In a game like Battlefield you shouldn't be able to scope for a mere quarter second and still have perfect accuracy on your shot.
I don't follow you, regardless of how fast I aim, my gun is still going to shoot where I'm aiming. That's just logic... That's how it works IRL, and any other game. Granted I'm using more of an assault rifle optic on my sniper in that gameplay, if I was using a full 7x/12x optic it would take much longer to scope, but would still follow the same principle. Accuracy would only be affected by the movement of the bullet against the barrel, but since there's barrel rifling.. it wouldn't magically make your gun unusable just because you're moving... It's just just how the game plays, it's a playstyle. Doesn't matter what game you're playing really.

I don't see why it shouldn't be possible. It's not game breaking or anything. Especially when you're against players who aren't new and totally unaware you're even there.
~ Teh Slapz
WHOOHHAGHGHHGEHGR

Noodle
Delta Force

Post by Noodle » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:35 pm

Yarok wrote:Caspian Border servers

Whendafuckisthisgonnacomeoutforxbox...?

Yarok
Ranger

Post by Yarok » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:49 pm

October 25th

Noodle
Delta Force

Post by Noodle » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:20 pm

Fuck that shit.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:03 pm

You need Windows Vista or Windows 7 to play it on the computer... which I'm about to do in a few minutes.

Edit: Apparently, I can't run the game for some reason. I think it's related to DirectX. I updated to the latest version, but I don't think it's version 11, which the game says it requires.
How are you getting this game to run?
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Yarok
Ranger

Post by Yarok » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:28 pm

Update drivers. If you're running it in Boot Camp or something, chances are the required drivers aren't compatible or something.

Zanghfei
Ranger

Post by Zanghfei » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:13 pm

I will try it in Wineskin

draconic74
Green Beret

Post by draconic74 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:30 pm

Slapzy wrote:I don't follow you, regardless of how fast I aim, my gun is still going to shoot where I'm aiming. That's just logic... That's how it works IRL, and any other game.

Ok then. Sounds like you have never shot a rifle before. If you ever get the chance to use a hunting rifle (not a dinky little .22, I'm talking big guns here) in the wilderness where nobody cares if you are an idiot, set up a target, walk 20ft away, and strafe past it. As you pass it try to look down the scope and shoot it while maintaining the same speed.

All I can do is laugh at the image of you almost knocking yourself over while looking like a fool.

Things don't just shoot "where you aim it". If you do not compensate for the kick, the recoil from something as big as a rifle will make it near impossible to hit anything. This is why quickscoping in semi-realistic or realistic games disgusts me. If a game is realistic enough to have bullet drop, there should be no way for you to best shotgunners in close-combat with a sniper rifle. The exception is if you see them first, and have enough time to actually aim for them. Either that or shooting them in the back at point blank. In which case, you should just stab them for the dogtag. In real life you don't have that sort of time, so yes, a shot to the back is just as good. A sniper is just as lethal at one foot as it is from 3000.

Yarok
Ranger

Post by Yarok » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:55 pm

BF games compensate for bullet deviation other than bullet drop. There's an accuracy and recoil modifier.

Basically, you point in a direction, however your cone of fire (cross-hairs when hip-firing) will never be perfect. It's very small, but not perfect. Recoil increases and moves the cone though.

Slapzy
Ranger

Post by Slapzy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:17 pm

draconic74 wrote: Ok then. Sounds like you have never shot a rifle before. If you ever get the chance to use a hunting rifle (not a dinky little .22, I'm talking big guns here) in the wilderness where nobody cares if you are an idiot, set up a target, walk 20ft away, and strafe past it. As you pass it try to look down the scope and shoot it while maintaining the same speed.

All I can do is laugh at the image of you almost knocking yourself over while looking like a fool.

Things don't just shoot "where you aim it". If you do not compensate for the kick, the recoil from something as big as a rifle will make it near impossible to hit anything. This is why quickscoping in semi-realistic or realistic games disgusts me. If a game is realistic enough to have bullet drop, there should be no way for you to best shotgunners in close-combat with a sniper rifle. The exception is if you see them first, and have enough time to actually aim for them. Either that or shooting them in the back at point blank. In which case, you should just stab them for the dogtag. In real life you don't have that sort of time, so yes, a shot to the back is just as good. A sniper is just as lethal at one foot as it is from 3000.
You're assuming that I wouldn't be compensating for the kick though. Granted, in BF3 there isn't much recoil on the bolt action sniper rifles... You should still notice that every time I fire, I'm either standing still, or crouching. Assuming the combat sniper is using the proper techniques, he should still be fairly accurate. The time in-between shots would be more than enough for the recoil to subside before firing again. A bullet is a bullet, aside from stopping power, it doesn't matter what it's being fired from. The only thing that anyone could logically complain about would be the quickswitching which cancels the bolt animation, allowing for a much faster fire rate. Or the fact I'm using an ACOG on a high-powered rifle.

Regardless, I'm not sure if you read the description of the video, but this type of game is very rare. I use this playstyle all the time, but being able to just run around like that doesn't happen often. Those players were just bad. I have 1TB of gameplay, and only maybe two games was I able to be that aggressive. Against alert players who can actually aim, and realize that I'm there... I really don't have much of a chance if I don't land that first headshot, as even the time it takes to quickswitch is more than enough for them to fire 4-5 rounds back at me. I shouldn't be able to best a shotgun in close quarters, but if the guy is drunk or doesn't know where he is, or has never fired a shotgun before. I probably could.
~ Teh Slapz
WHOOHHAGHGHHGEHGR

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:12 pm

Unless I'm lucky enough to get a headshot, or unless it's a long long hallway, it's impossible for me to kill with a sniper, especially if the player is lying on the ground. I aim directly at them and no damage is done. Of course, I can't even see the reticle so there's no point in my watching it.

By the way, I was able to get the update packages and the game to run properly when restarting using the Bootcamp partition as the startup disk, but not in VMWare Fusion 4, which apparently only allows 256 of my 512 MB video card to function and disallows ATI Catalyst drivers in Vista.

And take my advice and stay away from that stupid game. And that stupid EA company. And those stupid asshole EA game players who troll the forums there, both at EA.com and battlefield.com. Just. Stay. Away. It's for your own good.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.