Feels like stealing

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
draconic74
Green Beret

Feels like stealing

Post by draconic74 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:20 pm

But it isn't.

Despite how annoying Valve and Steam can be sometimes, there is definitely a silver lining. Sure, the game is a year old, but still. Less then $8 for it and all it's DLC. I payed more for a sandwich yesterday, and that won't bring me hours of random, explody fun. Then again, some of the $700+ publisher packs are going for less then $100. All I can say is "Damn". JC2 should hold me over until I manage to get into the Dota2 Beta. Or Diablo 3 Beta, I won't be picky.

This is why PC gaming will always outshine consoles.

Kayar
Delta Force

Re: Feels like stealing

Post by Kayar » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:47 pm

Oh, no way, Spiral Knights Winterfest!

... uh, what were we talking about again? Oh right. We were discussing how PC gaming is made of shovelware and orphan genitalia, and how console gaming is the best traditional gaming experience true to the past-time's roots.

Besides, my respect for Steam will remain low until Valve/LucasArts release Star Wars: Dark Forces for the Mac, which it was originally released for.
~Kayar~
TaxiService wrote:You haven't seen like the 90% of the dicks i drew. Someday i'll make a website where people will be able to browse the contents of my old notebooks.
WilliamSub wrote:They flock with your hormones
MGM Sig

Excend
Commando

Post by Excend » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:58 pm

Kayar wrote:Oh, no way, Spiral Knights Winterfest!
I first noticed this too... Oh I love Spiral Knights.

It's like Zelda's retarded gay slut cousin.

(Just for the record I actually like the game even though I appear to be describing it negatively...)
TaxiService wrote:Roses are red
Violets are blue
What a shitty thread
Fuck all of you.

Kayar
Delta Force

Post by Kayar » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:09 pm

For the record, I have no idea what Spiral Knights actually is. I was planning on linking it to a jibe about PC games and ads being everywhere, and then I forgot. It looks shovelware-y though and I wanted to make fun of it. :tongue:
~Kayar~
TaxiService wrote:You haven't seen like the 90% of the dicks i drew. Someday i'll make a website where people will be able to browse the contents of my old notebooks.
MGM Sig

Yarok
Ranger

Post by Yarok » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:25 pm

I played it once, then got bored.

Boy, Skyrim/Stalker/Deus Ex/whatever-the-fuck-else is so much fun on my great rig with mod support and everything!

*And thus begins the leftover_crack-esque flame war

EDIT: [Relevant to the sale discussion, which is actually the topic here]
TaxiService wrote:I've got no soul
As I surreptitiously put my tallywhacker into the jet

draconic74
Green Beret

Post by draconic74 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:07 pm

Yes, Skyrim, Dues Ex, and whatever else is fine. But you know what, I like paying next to nothing for a game that is only a year old.

And Just Cause 2 fulfills my need for open-world, physics defying explody fun. The only other thing I can think of to live up to it's style of gameplay is Saint's Row. And if you are getting that, don't bother unless you buy Saint's Row 3. Two is a bad port and I don't even know about 1.

I want to fly, but I don't want to have to get pwned by giants to do it.

PS: You complain about ads on Steam, but lets be honest here, are the console stores any better? No. No, they aren't. And it's not up to Valve to release SW:DF for Mac anyway. Blame LucasArts. And besides that, hating them for not releasing a decade-old game that they would have to port from Classic to OSX is sort of stupid. I could hate Bungie for not doing the same for Pathways Into Darkness, but I don't.

kiddten
Commando

Post by kiddten » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:30 pm

I just got Just cause 2 for free. Feelsgoodman.jpg.
kiddten, on most things nowadays wrote:no
TaxiService wrote:HERE IS THE GODDAMN WALDO YOU CHEATING DICK
๖ۣۜĐeяP wrote:U MOTHER FUCKER AND U FUCKING PARENTS AND FUCKED OFF ASS HOLES

Yarok
Ranger

Post by Yarok » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:47 pm

Just Cause 2 is probably the game that I can whole-heartedly say is on my list for the most fun games yet. Especially with open modding and everything.

TaxiService wrote:I've got no soul
As I surreptitiously put my tallywhacker into the jet

Kayar
Delta Force

Post by Kayar » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:35 am

Alright, sorry Drac. I suppose I'm just annoyed with the people who keep on harping about how great PC gaming is, and since I grew up on consoles, I'm defensive of what I view as traditional gaming. Besides, I've always viewed consoles as being specifically for games, while PCs/Macs are for a combination of gaming, work, and whatever else. The idea of not playing on consoles and only using a computer doesn't seem right at all to me. But whatever, I already had a flame war this season, I'd rather avoid going any further into this.
~Kayar~
MGM Sig

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:54 am

Yarok, that's an RC toy upgrade! By the way, if you attempt a jump in real life over a hill with a car, you'll most likely die from the fact that the engine makes the car front-heavy and on the way down, it'll be a facepalm into the ground with your entire body. So don't try that on the road, folks, or that'll be the last we ever hear from you. :!: But stunt men have balanced vehicles and expert vehicle technicians making sure that their vehicles and camera magic can make it look surreal. And of course, that game is like playing with a HotWheels toy.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Excend
Commando

Post by Excend » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:28 am

Buckle your seatbelt sir.
Violets are blue
What a shitty thread
Fuck all of you.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:33 am

Both consoles and PC/Mac's have old roots when it comes to gaming.

I view it as something like this (and I know people are going to disagree with me):

Games that are targeted to be played on the console should be played on a console. Eg: fighting games like street fighers, super smash brothers, racing games like mario kart, side scrollers like mario, games that are designed to work on the gamepad controller that comes with the device you're playing on.

Games that are played on a PC should be games that you really want a keyboard and mouse for. Eg: games that require 'moving around a world' with real hand-eye coordination, RTS & turn based games.

Offline multiplayer in the traditional arcade sense is *much* more fun and social than playing multiplayer online. So console gaming is definitely better for kids since not many of them are likely wanting to play on a computer which isn't intuitive because it isn't directly intended for games (and kids may not have their own computers to begin with).

Online gaming is better for PC's, because not only can you communicate to users through the game, but you can through other means as well (forums, IM). And other cool stuff like modding. Plus it's better if you want to play with long-distance friends.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Excend
Commando

Post by Excend » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:47 pm

For the most part I agree with you Nil. The only part I don't agree with is:
nil wrote: Games that are played on a PC should be games that you really want a keyboard and mouse for. Eg: games that require 'moving around a world' with real hand-eye coordination, RTS & turn based games.
Even this I mostly agree with, but your definition of this, in my mind, includes FPS games. And I personally feel that FPS games on the computer severely diminishes the level of gameplay. Maybe it's just me, but I find point and click a lot more simple then line up and trigger.

Edit: Just in general games that follow a character moving around a world for that matter are sometimes better console games too. Playing Zelda on the computer is less interesting as well. There is just a certain feel of the console and controller that adds to the game.
Violets are blue
What a shitty thread
Fuck all of you.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:35 pm

White Knightmare wrote:For the most part I agree with you Nil. The only part I don't agree with is:
nil wrote: Games that are played on a PC should be games that you really want a keyboard and mouse for. Eg: games that require 'moving around a world' with real hand-eye coordination, RTS & turn based games.
Even this I mostly agree with, but your definition of this, in my mind, includes FPS games. And I personally feel that FPS games on the computer severely diminishes the level of gameplay. Maybe it's just me, but I find point and click a lot more simple then line up and trigger.

Edit: Just in general games that follow a character moving around a world for that matter are sometimes better console games too. Playing Zelda on the computer is less interesting as well. There is just a certain feel of the console and controller that adds to the game.
Saying you find that "point and click" (mouse) is a lot more simple than "line up and trigger" (controller) sounded to me that "point and click" is better, but I know that is not what you meant :).

Twitchy, precise, hand-eye coordinated movements are where I think the mouse is better suited. The simple undeniable proof is that competitive multiplayer games people are so used to like Halo and COD are built with some kind of auto-aim or auto-assist that you cannot turn off due to controllers being inferior devices for this. It may not detract much and be fine in single player, but it is a concern to me for multiplayer when these shooters are all about seeing if you can make more precise movements than others. Note that another FPS like metroid prime is specifically designed to work with the wiimote & nunchuck, so that game is actually not better suited for the PC.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:20 am

I agree, nil. That is why I got into playing Halo on the Mac; it's for this very reason, because I would say to myself, "gee, I know I'd be so much better at this multiplayer game if I were able to use a mouse and keyboard instead of this wacky game controller."

Perhaps you don't see the value in my latest Auto Aim mod, not even that auto-aim can compensate for network lag over the Halo 1 network code which is less than ideal?
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.