My (Almost) understanding of the universe.

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Sven
SEAL

My (Almost) understanding of the universe.

Post by Sven » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:30 am

For the first time within my short, irrational and angsty life I have had my entire perception of reality questioned. I have an incredible amount of curiousity, but I am unable to understand it enough to express it within the form of a question. Normally theories such as this pass right on by, and I think 'Neat!'. but for some strange reason this version of reality has had me question myself, and my very existence.

It's all very trippy.

I've recently begun a GCSE physics course, with a funny, creative and incredible teacher. He would explain implausible theories to us, and we would simply sit there with our mouths open, wondering what the hell the universe was. My perspective on my own existence, and all others, has been changed considerably. But recently I began exploring into many of these theories myself, and I stumbled upon so many incredible ideas. But the main, simple question that stuck was; 'Where are we from?'. Now, I don't mean this in the general sense of 'Where is the Human race from?', but in the sense of, 'What made our Universe, how did we become from nothing?'. Whenever I try to talk to anyone within my circle of friends about this topic, I receive a blank stare, accompanied with an 'I dunno. Why do you care?'. The reason I care, is that something like this needs to be known, and understood. Whether there are trillions upon trillions of parallel universes, containing entirely different timelines, or perhaps even existing without being the prisoner of time. Yet another thing I am going insane over; Time. Because of the nature of time, it had to have been created at some point, and could not have always existed. So what was there before time? Another universe? Nothing? What was the trigger?

Please, share your theories of the creation of the universe. I need to get this out of my head, I'm going insane.
(Now, no offense to all of you creationists out there, but can I strictly get a scientific view on this topic? Thanks.)

tl;dr: I'm going crazy. Share your theories on the Universe.
blackkyurem123123 wrote:one of the Admins asks "whaths wrong" and he repiles " someone smasmed me chests".

Kayar
Delta Force

Re: My (Almost) understanding of the universe.

Post by Kayar » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:12 pm

The universe is constantly expanding. At some point, that energy will run out, and the universe will contract, gravitating to itself and receding into a single finite point. Then the universe will expand outward yet again, and the process will repeat, for how long I do not know. Something interesting to note: Every move, every action that we take or that anything in the universe takes for that matter, can be broken down and simplified into a single action, either an expansion or a contraction.

You need to find some better friends.
~Kayar~
TaxiService wrote:You haven't seen like the 90% of the dicks i drew. Someday i'll make a website where people will be able to browse the contents of my old notebooks.
WilliamSub wrote:They flock with your hormones
MGM Sig

Sugarlumps
Ranger

Post by Sugarlumps » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:31 pm

Kayar wrote:The universe is constantly expanding. At some point, that energy will run out, and the universe will contract, gravitating to itself and receding into a single finite point. Then the universe will expand outward yet again, and the process will repeat, for how long I do not know. Something interesting to note: Every move, every action that we take or that anything in the universe takes for that matter, can be broken down and simplified into a single action, either an expansion or a contraction.

You need to find some better friends.
I've also just started on my physics course (GCE, without the "S"). I've done some reading though.

I'm not too sure about the 'energy running out' part, but the rest seems correct.
Also, the milky way is white-coloured, as it was recently confirmed by a few scientists.
Click!

Smythe
Commando

Post by Smythe » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:36 pm

Universe is big.
I am small.
/fin

kiddten
Commando

Post by kiddten » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:23 pm

Our lives take up just a small fraction of existence, in both space and time. Therefore, anything you may accomplish is practically moot.

That's my understanding of life, the universe, and everything.
kiddten, on most things nowadays wrote:no
TaxiService wrote:HERE IS THE GODDAMN WALDO YOU CHEATING DICK
๖ۣۜĐeяP wrote:U MOTHER FUCKER AND U FUCKING PARENTS AND FUCKED OFF ASS HOLES

Mota-Lev
Green Beret

Post by Mota-Lev » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:14 am

Theres no point to anything.
Stupid tinypic removing my images

Sven
SEAL

Post by Sven » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:00 am

The fact that there is no point to anything makes you feel so insignificant. It also gives me an excuse to wear pajamas whenever I goddamn feel like it.
blackkyurem123123 wrote:one of the Admins asks "whaths wrong" and he repiles " someone smasmed me chests".

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:15 am

Energy cannot be destroyed, only transformed. That's probably a slight misquote and simplification, but yeah.
Yarok wrote:There may be a giant dildo protruding from your forehead.

Smythe
Commando

Post by Smythe » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:21 am

It's all insignificant in the big picture, yet if we're all insignificant, wherein lies the scale of significance? who painted the big picture?
We are our own scale of significance, what we do with our lives determines that, i'm tired and just broke up with gf and i am feeling reeeeaaallly sentimental i think? not sure, either way i need to sleep.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Taxi's opinions about these things!

Post by TaxiService » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:11 pm

Here we go!

----------------------( Preamble )----------------------

Okay, this stuff went on much more than i expected. 0_0 But if you are interested you should take some time to read the gabbing i wrote below. Maybe not right now if you are busy, but i think this stuff might be interesting!

I put these shitty separators so that people can reply more easily by saying like "hey, about that stuff you said in section 4…", et cetera. Or you can halt reading at a certain section and keep going there later! Handy, huh?

Also, in section 1a i used the word "fromever". I don't think it exists..? It is probably a neologism! Well, it means exactly "forever", but backwards. Okay? Like… for the past.
I mean, It is so intuitive i shouldn't even have written this note!

-------------------------( 1a )-------------------------
Gustav wrote:Where are we from? What made our Universe? How did we become from nothing?
As for the first and second questions, they simply cannot be answered. We have no way to know for sure, and all we can do is only speculate. (but if you keep reading this section, you might find out why asking these questions can be considered conceptually incorrect!)

The third question, instead of asking something we can't answer, implies something we can't know. (first there was nothing; then everything came into existence)

People try to imply this because of a simple assumption/misconception that dwells in the human mind. It goes on kinda like this:
  • If anything exists, it must have been created.
    The universe exists
    The universe must have been created.
The issue here is: implying that the universe can't have always existed is incorrect.
>How does it exist then?
Um, I think that to exist, something doesn't necessarily have to "be created", but rather it could have just existed fromever! I can't explain how it is possible because neither I, like you, can fully comprehend the concept of infinity; but believing that something has started existing from zero (or worse, that a conscious entity created it from zero) is much sillier!

>Something like this needs to be known, and understood.
I understand your desire for knowledge, but we just can't know this stuff. We have got to accept to renounce in hoping to gain such informations. :-\ It's either this or delusion.

-------------------------( 1b )-------------------------
Whether there are trillions upon trillions of parallel universes, containing entirely different timelines, or perhaps even existing without being the prisoner of time.
That stuff is all some great science fiction material, but nothing more than that. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying to themselves. :-\
Gustav wrote:Time. Because of the nature of time, it had to have been created at some point, and could not have always existed.
What's different about the nature of time? It should all fall into the category of answered shit in my first rambling, two quotes above. ^^^^

-------------------------( 2 )-------------------------
Kayar wrote:The universe is constantly expanding. At some point, that energy will run out, and the universe will contract, gravitating to itself and receding into a single finite point. Then the universe will expand outward yet again, and the process will repeat, for how long I do not know.
Oh, I hope so. I am not confident that the gravitational pull will be strong enough to suck us back to the epicentrum of the universe.
But hey, i know jackshit about astronomics! So, damn me!

-------------------------( 3 )-------------------------
Smythe wrote:It's all insignificant in the big picture, yet if we're all insignificant, wherein lies the scale of significance? who painted the big picture?
>who painted the big picture
>implying some entity created everything
>2012

I seriously hope you guys don't believe this.

See section 1a for some babble that tries to explain my point of view on this.

-------------------------( 4 )-------------------------
arachnidInquisitor wrote:Our lives take up just a small fraction of existence, in both space and time. Therefore, anything you may accomplish is practically moot.
In response to that, Smythe has already stated more or less what my thought is:
Smythe wrote:We are our own scale of significance, what we do with our lives determines that.
(as everything else,) Significance is relative. You may make little difference on a planetary scale, and no difference on galactic or universal scale, but you can be-- no, you are very significant on a human/social scale! Putting yourself on a scale bigger than yours is useless, and only leads to depressing existentialist bullshit! …Like this!

Put it in this way: the Earth is to you as you are to a house dust mite. (sort of..! I am not good with analogies!)
They inhabit your bed and feed off your skin remains. They can have a limited effect on you (allergies and everything that follows) and their existence is allowed as long as you don't wash your mattress.

And so is yours. You inhabit Earth's surface and feed off its products. You can have a limited effect on it (assuming that global warming is caused by the activity of man. But also you build structures, move materials, fart, and all that stuff!), and if you are caught by a calamity (climate change, geological madness, tornadoes, you name it..!) your existence stops.

-------------------------( 5 )-------------------------
Mota-Lev wrote:Theres no point to anything.
That's true. But it gets sad only if you think it is!

I mean, why do we need a ‘point’? The closest thing that can be considered as "the real" point to life is life itself. (i mean procreation)
So if you need a point then just use that as it. But it is yourself that should set the point to your life!

Some philosophers thought that the meaning of life was just to have fun. Why not set that as your point? I mean, it seems a good point to me! Living life and having fun!
If social schemes hinder your quest for fun, then don't worry! Just live through it; reach your goals or die trying! This is life as well, after all!
Gustav wrote:The fact that there is no point to anything makes you feel so insignificant. It also gives me an excuse to wear pajamas whenever I goddamn feel like it.
See, that's the spirit!

In this context, "Insignificant" is true when you are trying to be significant to the universe, but it is false when you are trying to be significant to the world! (the humanity, the society, whatever you wanna call it!)

You can't be significant to the universe, for you are ‘simply’ an anomaly on a random planet. So why don't you just try to be significant to yourself and to others around you? This is the only way to have a use!

- - EDITLOG:
- part3:
- - edited:
  • >who painted
    >the big picture
- - with:
  • >who painted the big picture
    >implying some entity created everything
- part 4:
- - edited:
  • and if a calamity occurs (climate change, geological madness, tornadoes, you name it..!) your existence stops.
- - with:
  • and if you are caught by a calamity (climate change, geological madness, tornadoes, you name it..!) your existence stops.
- miscellaneous:
- - removed the shitty footer

TBD: a conclusion.
Last edited by TaxiService on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Sven
SEAL

Post by Sven » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:06 am

TaxiService wrote:Here we go!

-SNIP-
This cleared up a lot of things for me. Thank you, Taxi, and your infinite wisdom.

Pielogist
Ranger

Post by Pielogist » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:23 pm

guys... <3

@Taxi: Here is what you wrote, in the form as I wrote it: I started before reading your post, finished whilst in the middle of it - then edited afterwards.

On the topic of Knowledge of Existence:

My belief is that we as a race lack the capacity and means to discover the origins of the universe.

We cannot determine for certain how it began, and the closest we can get is to come up with theories: 'probable' and 'fitting' theories, as to what happened.

Take the big bang for example- yes, it is probable, and it fits the data collected - from satellites and from telescopes, but who is to say that is what really happened? There is potentially an infinite amount of theories that could fit to our collected data, and any one of those theories could be what happened.

We are severely confined in our reach. Held back, and handicapped in our quest for knowledge. (Sorry, if I tend to get poetic at times)

Our technologies are too limited to let us see the big picture of the universe. Our reach is confined to our small solar system, and
our view is confined to the strength of our telescopes.

Let me try my hand at an analogy: We are like frogs stuck at the bottom of a deep well. The frogs can look up to their very limited view of the sky, and observe the clouds. From the motion of the clouds the frogs can device a theory of gravity and of motion. They can look to the water at their feet, and they can analyze it too. From that they can come up with the theory of particles and of atoms. But the truth is, without ever coming out of the well, it is impossible for the frogs to truly describe the world they live in. And truth be told, the frogs would find it very hard to come out of the well; it is so deep. And we, like the frogs, lack the technology to accurately perceive the universe - the whole of it.

tl;dr: We can't know anything for sure

So, @Gustav: I'm giving you a smile, accompanied by an 'I dunno, but it's great that you care.'

And on the topic of Knowledge of Significance:
You are at the center of the universe, in relative to yourself.

Therefore you are nothing short of being the most important thing ever.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:15 am

Gustav wrote:This cleared up a lot of things for me. Thank you, Taxi, and your infinite wisdom.
>wisdom
>taxi

um, i think there must be some mistake?

but no, lol, really? you mean it? Don't you have some different thoughts you want to share, or something? Confrontation of opinions is cool! It opens your mind and stuff.
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Sven
SEAL

Post by Sven » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:54 am

TaxiService wrote:
Gustav wrote:This cleared up a lot of things for me. Thank you, Taxi, and your infinite wisdom.
>wisdom
>taxi

um, i think there must be some mistake?

but no, lol, really? you mean it? Don't you have some different thoughts you want to share, or something? Confrontation of opinions is cool! It opens your mind and stuff.
I'll definitely come back to you on this at some point. I'm sick right now, so check back soon.

Moxus
Delta Force

Post by Moxus » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:57 pm

I take a Cartesian perspective: the only certainty is that so long as I think, I exist.

-=Moxus=-
Kayar wrote:The Collective: Spamming its way to a better tomorrow.
Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.