Mac OS 10.8 Mountain Lion

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Vegerot
SEAL

Mac OS 10.8 Mountain Lion

Post by Vegerot » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:57 pm

Bunneh wrote:Now, please don't spam my newsfeed on how you need like 3 dildoes to make a giant dick statue on penisland or any of those other shitty facebook games.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Re: Mac OS 10.8 Mountain Lion

Post by TaxiService » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:08 pm

I don't like where apple OS's has been going since Lion. Mountain lion is no exception. This is mainly because of all the iPad features that they have implemented. :-\ Also because i don't like changes in operative systems i am happy with (I still use Snow Leopard). Maybe i am afraid of changes generally? I don't have enough money to get into a therapy for this shit!!
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Sven
SEAL

Post by Sven » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:48 pm

Hooray, they name their operating systems after cats!
I feel smart now because I know about all of these cats.
blackkyurem123123 wrote:one of the Admins asks "whaths wrong" and he repiles " someone smasmed me chests".

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:54 pm

Well, I will definitely be getting it. The reason why they're implementing iPad stuff into OSX is because IT WORKS. Apple realized that "hey, when people have easy, intuitive gestures that makes navigating easier, it helps out their experience and lowers the learning curve." note how in there I didn't say iPad, or iPhone, or desktop. Because that's just a general thing that applies to everything, no matter what kind of device you're on. So when Apple realized what I said above, and that it applies generally, they said "it's true, it works, so if it makes the experience better we should have it on all our devices." In this way you could say that they're not purposefully adding their iOS stuff to OSX, it's just a coincidence that it's on both systems because it just works on both.

Another example is opening apps. Apple realized a really popular and nice and fast and simple way to open apps, and they incorporated that idea into their other products. and I must say before I got Lion I thought all of this was dumb and that Lion really didn't change anything and stuff like Launchpad would be stupid. But honestly it fundamentally changes the way you think of the most basic stuff, like clicking and scrolling, but in a positive way. Just sayin' I'm using Launchpad a whole lot more than I thought I would, cuz it's just so fast, simple, easy, and intuitive.
Bunneh wrote:Now, please don't spam my newsfeed on how you need like 3 dildoes to make a giant dick statue on penisland or any of those other shitty facebook games.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:11 pm

>it's just so fast, simple, easy, and intuitive.

Yeah, i know..!! I was unhappy even when the first OS X came out. I remember i said "I won't like this system more than OS 9!", but then holy shit!! how wrong was I. (I was a little kid)

Probably in months i'll start using Lion, and like it too. It's just that… I don't know. Maybe it's PPC support drop? That's why i didn't really like Lion in the first place. What about all my old shit!? :(
MGM Sig

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:56 pm

You'll get over it. Maybe the huge stuff like Halo may be a little bit harder to get over (unless you have the UB, in which case you're fine). But you'll find new things to replace those things soon enough. Trust me. (one thing that confuses/frustrates me is that they have so many applications that allows people to run software from a totally different OS (Mac-WIndows), yet they don't have ONE applications that can run PPC on Lion)

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:48 pm

>mfw i can have a snow leopard partition and a mountain lion one

…because i can, right? I mean, make a small snow leopard partition and update the rest of the machine. o_o That's possible, i guess? I know i can emulate SL too, but what the hell… :-\
MGM Sig

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:50 pm

Can you post a link to that picture? My proxy's really stupid and doesn't allow me to see pictures. MONOMAN WHEN WILL YOU UNBLOCK MY I.P.?!?!?! :evil:

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:43 pm

Where I said that Lion offered nothing to interest me, I feel that Mountain Lion offers even less that interests me.

I really think that Apple just can't get their heads in order when it comes to what they should actually be including in their new versions of the OS.

1. Do not integrate with web sites like Facebook or Twitter. You've already gone far enough down this path when you decided to integrate Google, Yahoo or Bing in Safari. These web businesses are OPTIONS and if I WANT to use their features, I will GO TO THEIR WEBSITES MYSELF AND DOWNLOAD THEIR EXTENSIONS MYSELF. I don't need Apple adding biased UI functions in the operating system also! What happens if Twitter or Facebook goes under? Will your UI features just be dead space then? Seriously, get it right: give the user OPTIONS, don't clutter their UI with stuff that you think is useful but they may not think is useful.

Apple is targeting the adolescent audience just like Disney and ABC and other marketing strategist companies who only seek cash. Their logic is based upon, "What audience has the most money, and how do we exploit that audience," rather than, "In what new directions can we go to gain favor of a wider audience and still bring enlightening new concepts to the table." Apple should be making it easier for developers of new technologies to implement their ideas in the Mac. Consider Autodesk and their 3ds Max application: they essentially rely upon bootcamp (Apple) to conform to their application, rather than dedicating a team to create a specific version for Mac. That's the most retarded strategy ever, and is akin to sitting on your bottom and refusing to do your job. If you lose money in such a situation, it's only your own fault. But now Apple has their head screwed on wrong: they should be making the OS more extensible rather than developing applications for third-party companies. IT IS THE THIRD-PARTY COMPANIES who should be making kernel extensions and so on which Apple would make EASY to install on a person's computer, if that person so decided to use a feature that such a company was advertising. The way I see it now, it looks like Apple is affiliating themselves with Google and Twitter, and there is so much potential corruption there that Apple really should take a step back and return to the path of enlightenment they trod during the opening years of Mac OS X.

2. I honestly do not see myself spending money on another Apple OS throughout the rest of the 10.x series. Snow Leopard is what I use now and I have no problems with it. If I want to have a Windows XP experience, I will boot into my Windows XP partition. If I want to have a Windows Vista experience, I will boot into my Windows Vista partition. Apple does not need to mimic these other operating systems. The last thing I want is the security "features" of Windows XP brought to this mac partition. There are solid reasons why I favor this OS now and I don't want to fudge that up because of Apple's new "visions" for the Mac OS.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:57 pm

Sparky wrote:Where I said that Lion offered nothing to interest me, I feel that Mountain Lion offers even less that interests me.

I really think that Apple just can't get their heads in order when it comes to what they should actually be including in their new versions of the OS.

1. Do not integrate with web sites like Facebook or Twitter. You've already gone far enough down this path when you decided to integrate Google, Yahoo or Bing in Safari. These web businesses are OPTIONS and if I WANT to use their features, I will GO TO THEIR WEBSITES MYSELF AND DOWNLOAD THEIR EXTENSIONS MYSELF.
Actually, kinda applying this with what http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUTcHs_k ... e=g-user-u says (watch it :D). Improvements in technology are just one less step to do things. So yes. With Google right there that's one less step you have to do in order to search the web. And honestly, my retard-dad could NEVER figure out how to install a Google extension to Safari on his own. EVER.

I disagree with most of what you just said, and I might dissect your post later, but Apple is adding many new developing tools to Lion and beyond. The SDK for Lion is the best I've ever seen, and from what I hear Mountain Lion is going to have an even better one. Apple has fundamentally upgraded the Mac system by advancing the hardware and software in union.

And what you said about Apple taking a step back, that's exactly what they're doing. They are taking a step back, an even bigger one than you proposed, and saying "let's look at the experience as a whole" and they are improving the very basic things we've taken for granted, like scrolling and opening applications. Apple's taking a huge step back! Also, the group that would provide Apple money would be the older groups of people, the software developers who make a lot of money developing on Mac. Not the 14 year old kids who are the only ones that seriously use Twitter. Social networking is a big part of the future (and even the present, at that), and Apple is incorporating that into their experiences, making sharing your content much easier. You keep on saying "if I want something I'll go and do it the harder way" but that's like saying "I only use terminal on my computer" "If I want to tell someone something I'll go over and tell them myself, I don't need to use the internet!" Everything that Apple does is to MAKE THINGS EASIER. Get things done simpler, more intuitively, and faster.

Edit: get on mumble 8)

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:00 pm

This seems like a nice update if you have multiple computers and devices that run OS X and iOS, which I do. Apple I think is planning to go with shorter release cycles now similar to iOS.

Messages, Notes (not going to use Stickies anymore!), Reminders, Game Center are all welcome.

The notification system is also quite welcome, although I think growl will still be around.

Seems like iChat is going to be Messages and iCal is going to be Calendar, and perhaps I'm missing some other name changes.

They are implementing twitter support in their OS. If twitter goes down, they will simply remove it; not a big deal, and that's what they do - they remove features that no longer have a future (eg: front row is gone). The twitter stuff is not in the way, it's not like there is a big twitter button staring you in the eyes. Safari, for example will have a share button, that can send a link to email, twitter, messages, etc - quite similar to iOS. You can already share links in safari via e-mail by the way - if you never found this out which isn't surprising, it goes to show how they are making sharing an easier and better user experience. Aside from twitter, Apple has already included features involving third parties such as iMovie exporting and uploading a video onto Youtube, or using Wikipedia for dictionary definitions on the fly because it's a huge user convenience. It's worth mentioning that Apple is the one that can implement Twitter support into their OS the best.

OS X might turn into an OS such that you really ought to be using a gesture-based device, like a trackpad on a laptop or a magic trackpad for the desktops. The gestures introduced in Lion are incredibly nice, almost as if I can't live without them, and they are going to get better in 10.8.

Apple wants to create the "perfect user experience", NOT target what would appeal to developers. They do not primarily strive for money but rather on this perfect experience concept. If something is not perfect for them, they will not allow it to run on their machines. For example, beginning to drop physical CD drive may be quite a risky strategy, but it is no longer the future to them. They also drop old hardware support and cut back on backwards-compatibility frequently. This goes back to their perfect experience strategy.

The only thing I shutter about is game keeper, which I'm not really a fan of.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:36 am

What is game keeper? quick! to google!
Also, just a random question about Notifications. What is the gesture gonna be to open it? It feels like it might replace the screen swiping gesture. Just a random questions that will be answered soon enough.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:00 am

Apple is telling developers what they want the future of computing experience to be, rather than letting developers tell Apple what the future of computing experience should be. Apple should leave the patterns of application development to the application developers -- third-party people who make their living off of developing applications, not Apple who makes their money off of developing computers and operating systems. But Apple is deciding to favor certain developers over others, and to favor certain search engines over other search engines and certain web sites over all other web sites. They should not do that because they should only make it easier for people to find features -- like Safari using Extensions as Apple saw Firefox doing -- and to make it simple for anyone to customize their computing experience as they desire.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Moxus
Delta Force

Post by Moxus » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:47 am

Sparky wrote:Apple is telling developers what they want the future of computing experience to be, rather than letting developers tell Apple what the future of computing experience should be. Apple should leave the patterns of application development to the application developers -- third-party people who make their living off of developing applications, not Apple who makes their money off of developing computers and operating systems. But Apple is deciding to favor certain developers over others, and to favor certain search engines over other search engines and certain web sites over all other web sites. They should not do that because they should only make it easier for people to find features -- like Safari using Extensions as Apple saw Firefox doing -- and to make it simple for anyone to customize their computing experience as they desire.
I think all they're doing is looking at what users (like you and me) like using, and making it easier for us to access those things. I don't think there's any harm in that.

-=Moxus=-
Kayar wrote:The Collective: Spamming its way to a better tomorrow.
Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:49 am

That's what Apple's whole thing is about. Making things easier. Listening to what people need and make it better to do, again, it's all about making less steps.