Looking for people interested in game development

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Yarok
Ranger

Looking for people interested in game development

Post by Yarok » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:01 pm

Hey, so I'm starting up some game development in prep for college, figured I'll ask around here for anyone interested in helping out, as I know that a fair number of people here are pretty talented and I've known a few people here since 07.

Basically, I'm looking for people who are willing to do some work, either in coding or art (that being 2D art and animations for the time being). Right now, I've got a plan for a pretty ambitious 3D game, but for the time being I'm working on a story-based side-scroller as a proof-of-concept of sorts, and as a prequel to the story in the full game. The 2D game will probably be built in Unity but I'm still looking around for options (maybe even a homebrew engine), with the full game (hopefully) in Red Engine, but that's quite far off and I'm not concerned with that right now (though I have talked to CDProjektRed, and have access to RedKit, but that's only for modding TW2, and is not running on the latest RE version).

If you're interested, please post either here or pm me, since at this stage I have most concept and design planned out, and am lacking (severely) in manpower and talent.

Not too worried about sound at the moment, though, I plan to add that at the end (plus there will probably be no voices for the 2D game).

Those interested in the art style, it will probably be somewhat of a watercolor feel. I haven't got any proper art assets, so the details are up in the air.

I'm not going to be sharing the details of story here, but it'll be similar to Lovecraft style fiction.
TaxiService wrote:I've got no soul
As I surreptitiously put my tallywhacker into the jet

Modzy
Green Beret

Re: Looking for people interested in game development

Post by Modzy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:30 am

I'm not a big fan of Unity. If you're just going for a simple side-scroller you should just develop your own engine. It would be a valuable learning experience. Start off in something like Greenfoot (yeah, yuck it's Java whatev), I've seen some okay side-scrollers made in it, and it teaches pretty good programming foundations.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:42 am

Man, Greenfoot reminds me of Gridworld. Nostalgia. Don't use it though.. It seems like an educational tool.

I'm pretty much a fan of Unity, especially if you do anything 3D. You'll save your time for writing an engine and save your time programming many things that are simply not fun doing when developing a game. Programming is only a good portion of writing a game, and better time is spent elsewhere when possible. But you may already know this.

As for me, I have too many things going on myself, I wouldn't really have the time to contribute..
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:48 am

Gosh, i'd love to contribute somehow if possible! My big problem is that i am a procrastinating bitch and am short on time.

Anyway i could... dude i don't know how helpful i can be. Maybe art? I mean, i know how to use some graphical programs, and used to be able to draw somewhat decently? I mean, the help i can give depends by what you have in mind! Anyway consider me as willing to help. : )
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Yarok
Ranger

Post by Yarok » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:25 am

Thanks, Taxi, I appreciate it. I'll let you know if anything comes around, though most art stuff will probably take place in the summer.

Not really interested in Greenfoot, though I am looking into Haxe. The main problem with using Unity would be the fact that Unity is designed for 3D games as opposed to 2D, so it would require some additional plugins and stuff.
TaxiService wrote:I've got no soul
As I surreptitiously put my tallywhacker into the jet

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:48 pm

TaxiService wrote:i am a procrastinating bitch and am short on time.
Taxi, I chuckled at this, relating to the situation myself.

But isn't that like doing a high jump with a low ceiling? :doh:

Also, if you want to move this topic to the Programming forum, report your post and type the message that you want it moved to that forum.

I haven't investigated programming languages beyond the web-based ones, a little bit of actionscript years ago, and the mac-related objective-c... and c++. I'm not certain about game development tools, but you should already be a little familiar with the Blam! Script Engine as Halo uses it -- you could always use the Halo engine for this task if you can envision how it might suit your concept. The Unreal engine appears to have a steep learning curve. I haven't heard of Unity before it was mentioned here... so I haven't really done my research on game development tools like you seem to be doing.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.