OS X 10.9, iOS 7, and more

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

OS X 10.9, iOS 7, and more

Post by nil » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:20 pm

If you haven't already heard or watched the WWDC keynote for some strange reason:
http://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2013/

Info about OS X:
http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/

Info about iOS:
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/

http://www.apple.com

They updated Macbook Air line as well with newer processors and longer battery life, and completely redone the Mac Pro (which funnily enough looks like a trash can; nonetheless, the design is pretty neat looking). Plus there's something or another about iOS car integration, iTunes radio, and iCloud keychain.

OS X 10.9 is oddly being called Mavericks, dropping the cat naming scheme (big complaints here for whatever dumb reason, although I personally think of megaman). The next version is a "power" update, including a better Safari like usual with process per tab architecture like Chrome's, tabs for Finder, better user notifications, much better multiple monitor display support, fixed UI in apps like Calendar and Contacts, and is apparently much more power-efficient due to: compressing active and inactive memory, coalescing operations allowing for small periods of idle time, and App Nap (intelligently save power when app his "hidden" while still running).

iOS 7's number one point is basically a huge overhaul in design, which is.... colorful and weird to say the least. Additionally, Control Center allows you to access things more easily, it includes smarter multi tasking that can supposedly schedule tasks intelligently, supports AirDrop, better Safari with cool-looking tabs and unified search/url field, has some kind of parallax effect, and other improvements.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Modzy
Green Beret

Re: OS X 10.9, iOS 7, and more

Post by Modzy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:49 pm

They've ditched the cat names and are now naming the OSs after places in California. Could have picked a better place with a better name, this one is eh.

Mavericks is a beach above Half Moon Bay, about an hour away from me.

WaeV
Peon

Post by WaeV » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:17 am

At least "OS X Mavericks" is a better name than "Xbox One".

The improved battery life is probably a good deal helped by Intel's new Haswell processors
I'm excited to see what devices start to come out as x86 performance/power continues to improve. I think Intel is actually trying to compete with ARM on that front.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:05 am

WaeV wrote:At least "OS X Mavericks" is a better name than "Xbox One".

The improved battery life is probably a good deal helped by Intel's new Haswell processors
I'm excited to see what devices start to come out as x86 performance/power continues to improve. I think Intel is actually trying to compete with ARM on that front.
For the new Air line, yes, it is.

For 10.9, it is claimed there will be huge benefits for even existing machines due to several new technologies already mentioned. App Nap in particular sounds a little risky, hope it pans out.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Noodle
Delta Force

Post by Noodle » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:59 am

>tfw when apple doesn't seem to be doing anything interesting for the next few decades or so

Dead Site
Veteran

Post by Dead Site » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:52 am

I've already come up with an idea for a jailbreak theme to work with iOS 7.

Modzy wrote:They've ditched the cat names and are now naming the OSs after places in California.
Source? I only read that it was just for this one.
[url=steam://friends/add/76561198023999718]Image[/url]

WaeV
Peon

Post by WaeV » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:13 am

Dead Site
Veteran

Post by Dead Site » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:26 pm

I wanted some sort of domestic cat version too ;_;

questionful

Post by questionful » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:07 pm

so do we know if Halo MD will work with mavericks?

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:05 pm

I have a developer build of Mavericks and from what I can tell, it works for me. So no known problems yet.

In other news, everyone has recently been talking about the new iOS 7, iPhone 5s, and iPhone 5c.

Sven
SEAL

Post by Sven » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:35 am

OT: Don't have an iPhone, nor do I have a Mac anymore due to school standards. A lot of my buddies got iOS 7, and are telling me it's awesome. I played around with it and it seems pretty cool.

Can you set your own background yet?
blackkyurem123123 wrote:one of the Admins asks "whaths wrong" and he repiles " someone smasmed me chests".

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:59 pm

Yeah.. Waev showed me that waterproof screenshot in the IRC. Good thing I didn't try it : ).

I think you've been able to change your background image for quite a while. For this version I actually changed to one of the stock wallpapers since mine looked a little strange with it.

Dead Site
Veteran

Post by Dead Site » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:00 pm

alright 10.9 is out and it's free

you also get free updates for aperture, iLife and iWork. Even if you pirated them. GarageBand for iOS is now free.

Smythe
Commando

Post by Smythe » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:38 pm

I have an Ipad 2, and IOS7 is much nicer than 6. It's smoother, the app closing (While very android-esque) is really great. Improvements to the camera are nice, Dynamic Backgrounds are sweet, but it's just a pity we can't make our own. As far as i can tell.