Poetry

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Sparky
Delta Force

Poetry

Post by Sparky » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:21 am

Inventors seek truth
and score like Babe Ruth.
Their heart wants to see
and so mind will be
of wisdom and sleuth.

God draws to himself
their soul to gain wealth.
They see and know Him,
for justice anthem:
"In God is true health."

Christ Jesus is Truth,
they learn this from God,
with Him, in Him, one.
All glory to God,
He is the best,
Therefore, do not test,
In Him I find rest.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Sparky
Delta Force

Re: Poetry

Post by Sparky » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:07 am

"Woah! Hold it! Slow down!"
my passenger chided.
And that made me frown
along as we rided.

He clearly was scared,
to speed he not dared,
it was clear to me,
just how this could be:
it was all folly.

So along we sped,
going yet faster still.
You could see his dread
as we approached a hill.

He began to beg,
"Look, you can't see
what's over this leg,
please slow down for me."

So listened I did,
but not of my will;
I distinctly felt
upon me a force,
a Hand, if you will,
it drove me to slow.

We got to the hill
and right at the sill
I saw just ahead
a car that had sped
and crashed in the road,
its passengers dead,
pedestrians mowed.

I suddenly knew
that He cared for me;
no more will I speed,
no more will I flee.
I will stand with pride
to know Him, you see.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

WaeV
Peon

Post by WaeV » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:09 am

People understand things
in all different ways.
The truth they feel rings
to another is crazed.

One person may think
that humans are bad.
A Hobbesian sentiment
that I find quite sad.

Another believes
that people are good -
this truth I assent
(And more people should!) ;p

Most of the time
these things matter not,
but in barroom debates
and philosophers' thoughts.

When it touches on
pol'tics or religion, though,
it provides the ingre'dients
for a malodorous show.

Alice has good reasons
for thinking she's right.
Yet Bob thinks she's wrong
and is willing to fight.

Neither will convince
the other, because
opposition reinforces identity grounding,
no matter what the other writes.

Despite our beliefs,
at the end of the day,
the only way to win (as they say)
is not to play.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:45 am

Here are some new proverbs:

He who trusts in his own strength returns to dust.
He who trusts in the Hand of the Lord God Almighty will be saved and live forever.
I am weak, but God is Almighty and loves me.

He who trusts in weapons will die by them.
He who trusts in God's Hand and Mouth will live by Him.
We do not need weapons; we need kindness, justice and righteousness, and Immanuel, Jesus Christ.

He who trusts in his own heart or mind will confess of it.
He who is honest to Jesus Christ works for The Truth.

----
Jesus cares for you.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:19 am

WaeV wrote:People understand things
in all different ways.
The truth they feel rings
to another is crazed.

One person may think
that humans are bad.
A Hobbesian sentiment
that I find quite sad.

Another believes
that people are good -
this truth I assent
(And more people should!) ;p

Most of the time
these things matter not,
but in barroom debates
and philosophers' thoughts.

When it touches on
pol'tics or religion, though,
it provides the ingre'dients
for a malodorous show.

Alice has good reasons
for thinking she's right.
Yet Bob thinks she's wrong
and is willing to fight.

Neither will convince
the other, because
opposition reinforces identity grounding,
no matter what the other writes.

Despite our beliefs,
at the end of the day,
the only way to win (as they say)
is not to play.
WaeV, two things:

1. People will only listen when they have the desire to hear in their hearts. And they would not visit a doctor's office unless they were there to see the doctor. Neither would you eat food unless you were hungry. But, "he who eats this food and drinks this water will be hungry and thirst again, but he who feeds on my flesh and blood [that's accepting him as your savior, for "Jesus" means "God saves"] will have in himself a spring of water [that's the Holy Spirit] welling up to eternal life. The words I speak to you are Spirit, Truth, and Life. But there are some among you who do not believe; this is why I told you that nobody can come to me unless the Father has enabled him." (contents condensed). This is why Jesus said, "For judgement I have come into the world, that the blind will see and those who see will become blind." Then when the Pharisees said, "What? Are we blind too?" Jesus said, "If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim to be able to see, your guilt remains." So those who are blind desire in their heart to see, and so Jesus gives them sight. Those who claim they can already see have no desire to see, and so they cannot see. Those who do not value wisdom will brush it off as senseless or meaningless, whereas the person who asks, "Why?" and honestly wants to understand will be able to understand, whether or not they actually end up accepting the truth of the matter and by that understand it. But seek and you will find; then it's up to your soul whether you will accept the answer. Either way you decide, you will be held accountable for your decision and will reap the consequences of either doing what is right or not doing what is right (ie, brushing it off and being passive because you see no value in it). That's how it works: it's "whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me," versus "whatever you did not do for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did not do for me." So we must ACTIVELY love and take care of each other, not just "care" about each other. Same goes for forgiveness: "If you forgive your brother when he sins against you, your Heavenly Father will forgive you your sins. If you do not forgive your brother when he sins against you, your Heavenly Father will not forgive you your sins." So we have the commands to love and forgive. And that is why some are willing to listen to the Truth and act by it, while others are not willing to listen to the Truth and amount to nothing. But those who refuse to listen take offense very easily, regardless of the intent of the speaker, because their hearts are like unwieldy animals to them -- they neither understand their hearts nor have the desire to exhibit self control. So they point the finger, blaming everyone else for their problems but where the problem actually resides: in their hearts. "The good man brings good things out of the good stored in his heart. The evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored in his heart. For out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks." Again, about convincing, "everyone who belongs to God hears what God says; they will all be taught by God," and "you have only one Father, and he is in heaven, you have only one Teacher, and he is the Christ, and you are all brothers. The greatest among you will be your servant (like the Teacher did not come to be served but to serve and give his life as a ransom for many)."

2. Therefore, justice (helping people, working for the well-being of everyone involved in a particular situation) is only gained by those who want it, and its fruit, peace, understanding, wisdom, and righteousness, is only gained by actively exercising it. Your poem says you want the fruits of justice, and I'm telling you the truth, that it is not obtained by being passive. So do not judge your fellow servant, for we are all held accountable to one Sovereign Lord, the Master of Heaven and Earth, and He is the Judge who Rightfully seeks Glory for Himself. Instead, do what God who alone is good does: that which is good in God's sight. So understand that a man of Truth does not delight in strife, but there is no peace for the wicked, for by their own mouths they destroy themselves. Rather, a man of Truth delights in kindness, justice and righteousness, for in these things God delights and exercises on the Earth, His footstool.

Also, thanks for sharing this poem, I appreciate it. What do you think of the new proverbs?

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:20 am

Roses are red
Violets are blue
What a shitty thread
Fuck all of you.
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:31 pm

TaxiService wrote:Roses are red
Violets are blue
What a shitty thread
Fuck all of you.
In the words of Sergeant Avery Johnson, "you kiss your momma with that mouth?"

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Taxis are yellow
Primary hues

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Some never start
I'm never through

WaeV
Peon

Post by WaeV » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:43 am

Sparky wrote:Also, thanks for sharing this poem, I appreciate it. What do you think of the new proverbs?
Well, the point of what I wrote is that I don't think anyone's opinion on this topic is going to change merely because of what they read on an internet forum. Arguing just makes people dig their heels in. (This goes for me, too. Idk why I'm replying here when 1. I'm not convincing anyone of anything, and 2. people are getting annoyed by these threads) Furthermore Sparky, I'm not sure you can convince someone else to believe in god using what convinced yourself. Wouldn't they need to find their own life-changing experience?

In any case...
Sparky wrote:The person who asks, "Why?" and honestly wants to understand will be able to understand, whether or not they actually end up accepting the truth of the matter. Either way you decide, you will be held accountable for your decision and will reap the consequences of either doing what is right or not doing what is right.
If I'm interpreting this correctly, being Right doesn't depend on the finer nitpicky points of what you believe, but rather what you DO based on those beliefs -- for example, upholding these virtues:
Sparky wrote:Peace, understanding, wisdom, and
righteousness
[forgiveness], are only gained by actively exercising them.

So we must ACTIVELY love and take care of each other, not just "care" about each other.
  • If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them.
  • If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
  • My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
  • Happiness is not something ready-made. It comes from your own actions.
  • We can never obtain peace in the world until we make peace with ourselves.
  • To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle.
  • In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher.
  • If you don’t love yourself, you cannot love others. You will not be able to love others. If you have no compassion for yourself then you are not able of developing compassion for others.
  • In our struggle for freedom, truth is the only weapon we possess.
  • There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness.
  • We can live without religion, but we cannot survive without human affection.
  • Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive.
  • Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
  • All major religious traditions carry basically the same message, that is love, compassion and forgiveness. The important thing is they should be part of our daily lives.
Trick/rhetorical question, but do you think you could find it in your heart to accept someone who stood by these quotes without attending mass, participating in Lent, or partaking in communion? Ergo, without the specific cultural artifacts of a specific world religion?

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:03 am

WaeV wrote:(This goes for me, too. Idk why I'm replying here when 1. I'm not convincing anyone of anything, and 2. people are getting annoyed by these threads) Furthermore Sparky, I'm not sure you can convince someone else to believe in god using what convinced yourself. Wouldn't they need to find their own life-changing experience?
A person may not reply with the phrase "you have convinced me and have spoken wisely, well done fellow servant of the Most High God," yet that says nothing to whether these three things are true.

Also, in the words of my mother, "we do not live in a bubble all by our lonesome."

All major religious traditions are based upon the conscience, which is God's mailbox. Only the Jews worship who they know, the only True God, for salvation is from the Jews. Christianity is an extension of Judaism, for the Jews in Jerusalem did not recognize the time of the Lord's coming. Many did, and many did not. "Enter through the narrow gate, for wide is the gate and broad the road that leads to destruction, and many find it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Certainly, all who desired in their hearts to see the Lord when he came did see him, for those were the lost and the blind and the crippled who were healed. But unless you have the desire to know God, how can you accept any understanding of Him? You would have no room in your heart and would be blind unto death. Therefore, "seek the Lord, seek good and not evil, so that you will live."
WaeV wrote:We can live without religion, but we cannot survive without human affection.
You are incorrect about this, for a man's life does not consist in the value others place in it. So don't chase after praise from people, because they are but grass that is here today and gone the next moment. Rather, look to the stone from which you were cut.

WaeV
Peon

Post by WaeV » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:43 am

Sparky wrote:All major religious traditions
Ugh, whenever these conversations get started it seems that all non Old-Testament-based religions get thrown out with the bathwater.

There are more world religions than Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
Sparky wrote:
WaeV wrote:We can live without religion, but we cannot survive without human affection.
You are incorrect about this, for a man's life does not consist in the value others place in it. So don't chase after praise from people, because they are but grass that is here today and gone the next moment. Rather, look to the stone from which you were cut.
I don't think the quote is about seeking praise, but rather conferring affection upon others.

All of those are Dalai Lama quotes.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:09 am

btw i was kiddin', i love you guys.
MGM Sig

WaeV
Peon

Post by WaeV » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:55 am

TaxiService wrote:btw i was kiddin', i love you guys.
Oh good, I was worried. <.<

Sparky and I talked in IRC and figured out that Sparky's role isn't that of a "teacher" who explains things but a "brother" who encourages, so there isn't much more for me to say in these threads anyways, since neither of us is going to learn anything from the experience.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:13 am

>Oh good, I was worried. <.<

Sorry. I didn't know how to complete the poem and was too slothful to come up with a better end.
MGM Sig

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:36 pm

WaeV wrote:
TaxiService wrote:btw i was kiddin', i love you guys.
Oh good, I was worried. <.<

Sparky and I talked in IRC and figured out that Sparky's role isn't that of a "teacher" who explains things but a "brother" who encourages, so there isn't much more for me to say in these threads anyways, since neither of us is going to learn anything from the experience.
The conversations are insightful.
Keep the poetry coming.
I actually wrote a hymn today but decided not to share it here; I sent it to a church music director friend.

Excend
Commando

Post by Excend » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:58 am

Violets are blue
What a shitty thread
Fuck all of you.
Dibs.
Violets are blue
What a shitty thread