What's up guys?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
hx239
Operative

What's up guys?

Post by hx239 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:42 am

Last visit was: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:57 am hahaha
It's been awhile since I've been around here lol. Who's still around? I see sparky and mono, anyone else still alive and kickin?
I can't get enough of Gargoyles.

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What's up guys?

Post by Monoman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:00 pm

Not from when you were here.
Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter. -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:23 pm

hx, you left a hole in my heart when you left without saying goodbye.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

hx239
Operative

Post by hx239 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:57 pm

lol sry sparky. I see you managed to perservere and make it out ok though =p It's weird to think I made this account almost a decade ago (user #2 wut wut). IDK if you guys remember pandab34r but he's the only one I still know/talk to a lot from here. I had some people who wanted to see my old work on rsd maps for some god forsaken reason, so I came crawling around to see what I could scrounge up (I work in the game industry now).

WaeV
Peon

Post by WaeV » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:14 pm

hx239 wrote:made this account almost a decade ago (user #2 wut wut)
Haha, nice.
hx239 wrote:(I work in the game industry now).
Neat, which studio?

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:37 pm

WaeV wrote:
hx239 wrote:made this account almost a decade ago (user #2 wut wut)
Haha, nice.
hx239 wrote:(I work in the game industry now).
Neat, which studio?
I'm curious too! Also, programmer, modeling, musician.. etc?
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

hx239
Operative

Post by hx239 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:23 am

I'm working indie stuff right now, just finished my first released game and am in-between jobs atm. If you want to check it out, its called Biogenesis on the android app store. It's free too, so no harm looking! =p

I work as a game designer, but I got my B.S. in comp sci, so I can program pretty well too. I currently have two projects of my own I'm working on, thinking of starting a small company of my own to produce them through.
One is a pokemon style game meets mechwarrior that we are developing using unity and will be releasing for ios, androind, and hopefully get greenlit on steam. Monitization for this game has not yet been decided. I am making this in a team of two people for now, but will at some point be needing music/sounds and final art assets. We hope to have something presentable for a kickstarter within a few months to help pay for that shit.
The other I just started working on a few days ago is a 2D MMO rpg/strategy/tactics style game where you build up a party, gear them out, and pit your team against others. It is being developed using the corona sdk with lua, and will feature a f2p model. So far I am making this alone, (and largely because I wanted to learn lua) but will at some point be needing music/sounds and final art assets, as well as someone to do the networking programming because I have no fucking clue how lol.

I wanted to work on these projects for a few reasons, one being that I didn't have a job anymore and wanted to be productive, but now I have to be careful when I apply for jobs because a lot of places take ownership of your intellectual rights, meaning anything I create outside of the studio is theirs as well.

WaeV
Peon

Post by WaeV » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:39 am

hx239 wrote:It is being developed using the corona sdk with lua, and will feature a f2p model.
This sounds a lot like what a friend of mine is up to. I've heard good things about corona! Actually, I think he may be interested in having another programmer on board, so I can introduce you two if you'd like. They're currently a small team of ~3-4 indie game developers.

hx239
Operative

Post by hx239 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:44 am

Sure, that could be cool. I literally started using corona and lua like 3 days ago, so I don't know if they'd really be interested in my help haha.

WaeV
Peon

Post by WaeV » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:50 am

Oh, lol. Well you have a BS at least, and you've published a game on an app store. Better than I can say, haha (graduating this coming May).

hx239
Operative

Post by hx239 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:52 am

Yea, and to be honest lua is pretty fucking easy to use. I've already written the menu states, movement, some of the sound effects, etc and I only have like 400 lines of code. My biggest challenge with it so far has been getting used to not having an update loop to play with, and getting used to the hacky sloppy syntax that comes along with such a high level language. All I've really spent any time on before this has been C++ and C#, so things like python, javascript, and lua just seem hacky as shit to me lol.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:39 am

Did you take a look at the Programming subforum here at MGM now?
Do you know Objective-C? If you know objective-c, and are able to run with my education thus far on halo data file structures, would you like to help work on Zeus with me? (If I am confusing anyone, I feel in sort of a toss-up between having people help me with it and doing it alone.)
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

hx239
Operative

Post by hx239 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:51 am

I've never used obj-c. My main languages are c++ and c#, i know a little javascript, python, and c, and am in the process of learning lua. I also don't own a mac anymore - I sold it a month ago to my ex's brother, so I won't be able to help with with anything mac specific. And more importantly, I never really liked halo =) I'm more of the realistic shooter type. Emptying a battle rifle clip into someone and having them live isn't fun, it's just plain stupid.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:28 am

hx239 wrote:I've never used obj-c. My main languages are c++ and c#, i know a little javascript, python, and c, and am in the process of learning lua. I also don't own a mac anymore - I sold it a month ago to my ex's brother, so I won't be able to help with with anything mac specific. And more importantly, I never really liked halo =) I'm more of the realistic shooter type. Emptying a battle rifle clip into someone and having them live isn't fun, it's just plain stupid.
That reminds me of laser tag, where you can only hit them on the chestplate or arm for it to count. I always go for headshots, so ... well, it's a game, what can you say, eh? At least nobody gets hurt in these games.

hx239
Operative

Post by hx239 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:30 am

halo CE was my favorite of the series in terms of combat, mainly because I could just use the sniper or pistol and it wasn't too bad =p