Halo 4

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Smythe
Commando

Re: Halo 4

Post by Smythe » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:37 am

tokage wrote:
Bunneh wrote:
Smythe wrote:Look at the FOV, and animations, models, and all that stuff for the halo reach beta/trailers.
Now, look at the ones in the retail game.
They'll change anything that doesn't look right, trust the guys who made halo into what it is.
These aren't the guys who made halo what it is. There is a reason not to trust them, as we have not really seen them do anything apart from this.
Defiant map pack, in which they asked for help from Bungie.

Also Smythe, I looked at some of the Reach Alpha in Once More Unto the Breach.
Nearly identical.
Fair point.
Certain affinity is made the Defiant map pack, i believe you are confused with Certain Affinity making their own game of which the name i cannot remember.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:33 am

What do you guys actually like about anniversairy? I like the graphics, the live support, and the co-op over live.
Yarok wrote:There may be a giant dildo protruding from your forehead.

kiddten
Commando

Post by kiddten » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:02 am

I like that it's halo, and it looks good.
kiddten, on most things nowadays wrote:no
TaxiService wrote:HERE IS THE GODDAMN WALDO YOU CHEATING DICK
๖ۣۜĐeяP wrote:U MOTHER FUCKER AND U FUCKING PARENTS AND FUCKED OFF ASS HOLES

Modzy
Green Beret

Post by Modzy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:28 pm

Mgalekgolo wrote:What do you guys actually like about anniversairy? I like the graphics, the live support, and the co-op over live.
That's pretty much all that's changed.

tokage
Ranger

Post by tokage » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:32 pm

Smythe wrote:
I wrote:(MOUNTAINOUS PILE OF QUOTES)

Nearly identical.
Fair point.
Certain affinity is made the Defiant map pack, i believe you are confused with Certain Affinity making their own game of which the name i cannot remember.
? Certain Affinity assisted 343 Industries with the Defiant Map Pack.

Smythe
Commando

Post by Smythe » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:15 am

tokage wrote:
Smythe wrote:
I wrote:(MOUNTAINOUS PILE OF QUOTES)

Nearly identical.
Fair point.
Certain affinity made the Defiant map pack, i believe you are confused with Certain Affinity making their own game of which the name i cannot remember.
? Certain Affinity assisted 343 Industries with the Defiant Map Pack.
yeah, now they're making their own game.
also fixed my own quote :s

Kayar
Delta Force

Post by Kayar » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:47 pm

Bumpa-bumpa.

What sense make ye of this?
~Kayar~
TaxiService wrote:You haven't seen like the 90% of the dicks i drew. Someday i'll make a website where people will be able to browse the contents of my old notebooks.
WilliamSub wrote:They flock with your hormones
MGM Sig

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:09 pm

I think it looks like shit. I'm done with halo... Anniversary was it.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:38 pm

I think it looks great, and It'll be cool to see what it actually will be...
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Smythe
Commando

Post by Smythe » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:48 pm

While i don't like the BR being back, it looks a hell of a lot less accurate now, which means we can't use it to snipe across the whole map, while still raping with it in close quaters.
Interested to see how it pans out.

Sugarlumps
Ranger

Post by Sugarlumps » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:14 am

Sounds are rather different from previous games, more metal-ish now. Though not really a fan of the current sound setup (sounds cluttered), waiting to see if this will be changed.
Otherwise, I'm rather interested and am waiting to see how this will turn out.
Click!

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:15 pm

They recycle from reach and anniversary way more than any other halo.... I mean, i'm obviously getting it, it just don't seem like it will compare...

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:23 pm

Mgalekgolo wrote:I mean, i'm obviously getting it, it just don't seem like it will compare...
Ahh yes, a fanboy's response to everything. It'll probably not be as good, but I'm still gonna get it. It's okay, it's the same with me for two (now three) things: Bungie, 343 Industries, and Apple (well, since I don't have a job, not EVERYTHING from Apple).
Bunneh wrote:Now, please don't spam my newsfeed on how you need like 3 dildoes to make a giant dick statue on penisland or any of those other shitty facebook games.

Moxus
Delta Force

Post by Moxus » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:31 pm

Kayar wrote:Bumpa-bumpa.

What sense make ye of this?
I'm not convinced that 343 understands the mechanics of the Halo we know. Maybe that's not a bad thing, but I think it is.

-=Moxus=-
Kayar wrote:The Collective: Spamming its way to a better tomorrow.
Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:47 am

After playing a number of FPS games, I quickly found the experience to be mostly influenced by the controls.

If you have a console controller, it's often harder than the use of a joystick in a flight simulator. If a controller is simple like with the SNES and not bulky like the Sega Genesis controller was, but not as awkward as the N64 and Xbox controllers have been, then you have a console controller that is perhaps not detrimental to the experience.

If player movement is as stifled as it is in Raven Shield or as overly-dynamic (an extreme concept case which is fundamental to the game) as it is in Tribes Ascend (by Hi-Rez Studios), then I say stop the presses and forget about it. The main charm of Halo is actually its player dynamics and physics and how these two relate to each other. You have forceful explosions which can blow players back, but it's not too extreme as to blow you across the environments; these are proportional to the environments while still understandable to the Halo universe theme and its characters.

This relates to the experience Moxus mentioned because we don't want a movie experience and we don't want a 2D scroller experience where you are forced ahead in one direction. For the environment exploration enthusiast, there are not enough rewarding opportunities in typical Halo maps... and so maybe 343 should really spend time considering what varieties of map design they want to include; when the storyline says there is a countdown timer and the player has to jump onto that Longsword... you probably shouldn't tempt them to go exploring a very detailed environment on their way through. I think d40 messed up a little bit on that point; it worked for the hectic feel, but it didn't really allocated their environmental design resources in the best possible way. What were all those nook-and-cranny areas meant for, and why was the traversed path so ridiculous?

Those are my two points: first, rethink player movement and dynamics and I suggest keeping them as fluid as they are in Halo 1 (but you can still add features like lying prone to that); second, rethink your environmental design resource allocation strategy and involve a variety of game dynamics and don't stick the chase scenes in cinematics where the player can't actually FAIL to run away in time.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.