Torrent Questions.

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
cQuence
Ranger

Torrent Questions.

Post by cQuence » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:03 pm

Do all torrents work? Like I'm Downloading Call Of Duty 4 Modern Warfare torrent just to see if it works. So Do all torrents work on Macs? Btw Torrents Kinda seem "illegal"
Changed my name to cQuence... Im still Shockwav tho.

Altimit01
Eschaton Dev
Eschaton Dev

Re: Torrent Questions.

Post by Altimit01 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:21 pm

There's nothing illegal about torrents. Although downloading copyrighted material is illegal (example Call of Duty). Torrents only stop working for two reasons. One: there's no one seeding. Two: your connection doesn't work. In any case a torrent takes some time to start up. You won't get as many bits from people until after you start giving away some bits yourself. Then it turns into a giant wave of speed until it slows down as you get the last 10-20%. Keep in mind though. Torrents are like megaupload or rapidshare. They're something you start up in the evening and wake up to a finished download or leave on your home computer and check up on when you get back from work/school. The large file sizes and randomness of the connection (since it relies on other people) means it'll usually take awhile.
Disclaimer: I am no longer active. Any posts, PMs or other communication I use has no guarantee of accuracy or follow up.
Download Eschaton: Mediafire

Monk34
Ranger

Post by Monk34 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:38 pm

Wouldnt you need the COD4 disk too?

Altimit01
Eschaton Dev
Eschaton Dev

Post by Altimit01 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:13 pm

Probably has a no-cd crack included in the download or an iso image.
Disclaimer: I am no longer active. Any posts, PMs or other communication I use has no guarantee of accuracy or follow up.

a sniper[Akbar]
Operative

Post by a sniper[Akbar] » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:33 pm

what are torrents
join now at s1.zetaboards.com/Game_Flash

http://hosted.filefront.com/asniper/

cQuence
Ranger

Post by cQuence » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:05 pm

W..T..F NOW I STOPPED THE TORRENT DOWNLOAD AND I LOST 10GB?? :@

lewbylew
Veteran

Post by lewbylew » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:05 am

§hockwav wrote:Do all torrents work? Like I'm Downloading Call Of Duty 4 Modern Warfare torrent just to see if it works. So Do all torrents work on Macs? Btw Torrents Kinda seem "illegal"
Is that game even out for mac?

Altimit01
Eschaton Dev
Eschaton Dev

Post by Altimit01 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:20 am

Torrents are a type of file sharing meta data file for use with the BitTorrent protocol. Basically, you download a tiny file, that when used with a proper program talks to a server called a tracker. The tracker tells your program (called the client) the IP address of other people downloading the file. You then ping everyone else who is downloading the file asking for a tiny piece of it. When you're downloading pieces, you're also uploading the pieces you already have to anyone who asks you for it. So when you ask many different people for many different pieces, you end up getting lots of tiny pieces very quickly. As the number of people sharing pieces grows along with the amount of pieces any user might have, the speed at which you gain the data increases dramatically. Once you have the entire file, it is common to leave the client on, only giving away data until your ratio of uploaded data to downloaded data is 3 to 1. This is necessary as the pieces don't come out of no where. Usually there's a couple of dedicated computers always sharing data. This method of sharing once you have all the data you need is called seeding. To download a file and then not seed is called leeching. Many programs these days give priority to IP addresses which are known to seed and may even blacklist leechers. The advantage of BitTorrent is that it can be deployed with low overhead (no need to have lots of bandwidth and servers letting people download your large files) and that the more people using it, the faster a download goes (as opposed to the more people hitting your servers, the slower).

Stopping a download in progress can lose large chunks of information due to the piece meal and fractured nature of the information you're downloading. It might even only be able to save data from the start onward until a break which would mean anything else downloaded is lost.

BLACKHAWK5866
Ranger

Post by BLACKHAWK5866 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:47 am

I work with torrents a bit and I haven't seen a COD4 one for mac, are you using PC?

cQuence
Ranger

Post by cQuence » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:23 am

Answer my Question Please D: I lost 10gbs after the torrent stuff I deleted... what do i do to get the 10 gbs back?

Altimit01
Eschaton Dev
Eschaton Dev

Post by Altimit01 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:23 pm

Altimit01 wrote:Stopping a download in progress can lose large chunks of information due to the piece meal and fractured nature of the information you're downloading. It might even only be able to save data from the start onward until a break which would mean anything else downloaded is lost.
Continue the torrent. But like I said. Torrents aren't something you should really pay attention to when downloading. More like leave your computer on while you sleep or go to work type of thing. It takes a while.

halonerd147
Peon

Post by halonerd147 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:12 pm

§hockwav wrote:Answer my Question Please D: I lost 10gbs after the torrent stuff I deleted... what do i do to get the 10 gbs back?
That happened to me but not with a torrent, i lost 2GB but it most likely will, if not you computer probly has some stuff on it related with the torrent
Damn you Banhammer of X-Plane.org!!!
Me: Awesome yet Nerdy