Using Ghost Recon in the Army for Training

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
[BIG] Ranger
Operative

Using Ghost Recon in the Army for Training

Post by [BIG] Ranger » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:03 pm

Thought it would be interesting to ask to see if anyone knows of occassions where the REAL army has used 'Ghost Recon' for training...

My friend is a member of the British Territorial Army (the UK's 'National Guard') and has been planning how to use GR for a while to practice squad based tactics with his fire support section.

Here's a great link which show how games like GR are now being taken seriously for military training: http://www.virtualbattlefieldsystems.com/index.html

'Virtual Battlefield Systems' is the bigger brother to the 'Operation Flashpoint' games system, and is used by the USMC for squad tactical training. It has also been sold to several other (unnamed) nations around the world to train their armies too.

What do you guys think?

Hardedge
Veteran

Post by Hardedge » Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:34 pm

whoa! datll be sweet!!! itll be even better if its in VR!!!*shudders at the thought

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:31 am

I have read and seen alot of stuff on that. I know one game out for the pc right now is the same version the military uses for team training. The only difference is when someone throws a smoke nade in the military version it takes the normal amount of time to fill the room, where as the pc version does it immediately. All of this is just a take off of what pilots and tank commanders have been doing for years, simulators.
Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter. -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

LordLothar
SEAL

Post by LordLothar » Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:38 pm

i know for a fact that americas army(the game) was meant to boost recrutiment into the army because they were getting low on recruits so they thought it be a good idea to make a game that goes throught the armys training
ghr i guess would be a good combat sim if it were more realistic but it is pretty realistic but it could be more

THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN PEACE THE LESS YOU BLEED IN WAR

[BIG] Ranger
Operative

Post by [BIG] Ranger » Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:57 am

Certainly 'Ghost Recon' is AND isn't realistic (but you could say that of any 'game' anyway)...

But - and let's just hypothosis for a bit - say you were part of the team who was in charge of designing the features of a 'Ghost Recon II' what would you include to make GR more realistic?

[My additions would be:

• Wider range of grenade types, including smoke (different colours), white phospherous, tear gas and 'Flash Bangs' (for house clearance and hostage situations).

• The ability to call up fire support is certain specific mission situations.

• A more detailed casualty 'mechanism',

• Wider range of 'pre-formatted' mission orders that you could give your teams. (Defensive and offensive stances and fomations - and SOPs, like 'Clear House', 'Defend Position', etc, etc...)

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:00 pm

Some mods for ghr have added smoke nades and made the damage you receive more realistic. Also, RvS adds smoke nades, flash bangs, and tear gas.
Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter. -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig