fun with packet loss

Everything about RvS and its mods.
el_presidente
Peon

fun with packet loss

Post by el_presidente » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:00 am

this is just an fyi, fwiw, etc.

my rvs server suffered from bad packet loss -- the "reps" value (via "stat net" in the console) blasted into triple digits routinely with only 2 clients connected. i couldn't figger out why for the life o' me. i have cable 3.0/256 -- and so does unit, with the same isp, and his server was fine.

then i did some research and it turned out that my cable modem (moto surfboard 3100, circa 2001) had trouble with full duplex -- it would report full duplex to the router when it was actually at half duplex.

after a trip to my isp for a new cable modem, the "reps" value dropped to playable levels in the double digits, but i still had a tad of packet loss reported. so i bit the bullet and replaced my router. my setup was cable -> snow airport base station (circa 2002) -> wired to linksys 100BT switch -> wired to my server comp. i replaced the snow abs with an airport extreme model and -- even though i am obviously not using wireless for my server -- the newer chipset for NAT etc. in the airport extreme base station lowered my reps to almost all single digits -- tested with 3 clients and 36 terros.

so if you are serving up some lost packets, check into your modem and router if they are not "modern" (like over a year old -- lol).

oh, and just the new modem alone (by solving the full duplex issue) increased reported dl & ul speeds at the test at dslreports.com -- and increased bileplanet downloads from ~280k to ~360k !!
people think all we do is lie around and think of how rich we'd be if we didn't think life could improve

tim_leary
Veteran

Post by tim_leary » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:49 am

Cool man. But, hehehe - now you cannot call your RvS hosting "The Packet Loss Server"..... ;p...
Tim's ICQ# 256508104