Stealth Vs Aggresive Tactics

Everything about RvS and its mods.
theBlack
Peon

Stealth Vs Aggresive Tactics

Post by theBlack » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:57 pm

:idea:
I have noticed when playing I can over use stealth as a tactic, when I have played alongside less stealthy players [those that just charge in] I noticed sometimes, but not always they get a lot further in the map.

Surprise seems to work just as well, So i now need to find a happy medium between the two.

Dash and smash along with Stealth.

Any Suggestions?
theBlack [aka BlackHawk]
"will everyone stop getting shot!!"

Visit me @
http://www.theBlackness.co.uk

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:38 am

When i play RvS i try and ride the line between stealth and aggressive. I play Ghost Recon alot and that game actually is alot easier to play using stealth to acquire intel about squad patrol routes and intel for certain objectives to pass the level with success(least amount of team casuaties with all objectives passed), rather than running around shooting everything like its a firefight the whole way thru and team members dieing one by one.

Raven Shield on the other hand IMO is a much faster paced game where moving silent to a location is wise, than bursting thru the doors with an expolosive move to take out the terros before they even know whats goin on. Communication is definitly a key ingredient.

I like playing with stealth tactics in mind becasue it keeps unwanted terros from hunting you down becasue they heard something. Unfortunately i dont think that 75%+ of these missions/hostage rescues in Raven Shield were scripted with stealth in mind. There arent really any patrol routes for terros, instead they are usually stationary and the terro locations dont change much on a gamemode basis, so hence you will see more people runnin around with no tact really. Hopefully, if/when the SDK is released mission scripters will be doing more stuff like that. Most of the missions and hostage recue on these maps arent that technical, and IMO shouldnt take longer than 10 minutes to get in and out...... I mean think about it. In real life if you go in and take 45 minutes, chances are that someone got on a radio and notified the terro's of your presence and would probably kill the hostage or blow the bomb before you got near them. Explosive tactics are a must, but to know when to hold low and stealth is the real art to the game.

I have noticed, in general, that players dont dig to deep into the games they play, instead they play them all with the same stategy as if they were playing Unreal Tournament or any other "cowboy" shoot em up runnin around with no clue that the way you go about your attacks highly affects the outcome of the mission. I dont know if it is due to the fact that they are dumb, or they just choose not to think in the first place, or they know of teamwork/stealth tactics but just dont care. lol

Dont get me wrong i have my days where i dont want to deal with communicating to much and just want to unload some frustrations on some virtual tangos, but people should choose the appropriate server to do that on. IMHO, When I play stealthy it makes the whole mission much more worth while if it is passed. But hey, i'm not gonna deny that i do like to run in as fast as i can and try and set a new land speed record for passing the Hostage Rescue gametype on the Prison map in less than 2 minutes [**edit**we set a new record... 1:59(one minute and fifty nine seconds) Beat that! w00t!]

The general public has no clue nor cares to use teamwork. I definitly have to be in the right mood for stealth, but what it all comes down to is who you are playing with really.
Last edited by Vir2L™ on Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter."

theBlack
Peon

a good team

Post by theBlack » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:33 pm

Yes

I have found a good team, and with them we do well, its always good to have somebody to guard your back. I have noticed some maps allow you to be less stealthy and charge in, while others you have to be really careful. One case in mind is Parade with 35 Tango's on Elite, poke your head around the wrong corner and the hostage is dead.

Others maps, you can use breaching charges and frag grenades to the excess and not a whimper.

Stealth seems to work better when you are less familiar with the map, do the same map several times and you know where the Tango's are, but not always, at this stage you can be a bit more aggressive and simple charge in and shoot the Targets.

The Tango's will either be in the same position or not exists at all, they do not move to other positions, given the size of the map this could be a lot of possibilities, and a lot harder.

I will just need to perfect my stealthy approach and aggressive attack.
theBlack [aka BlackHawk]
"will everyone stop getting shot!!"

Visit me @
http://www.theBlackness.co.uk