UG Mod on GameRanger

Everything about RvS and its mods.
Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

UG Mod on GameRanger

Post by Monoman » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:06 am

I have successfully been able to host and join with the UG mod active. Now before I release the beta version of this app, I need to ask you guys a question.

To make the app work with GR you have to point GR to it. When you do that you will only be able to join games with the UG mod active. This means you would have to switch what GR points to depending on the game. I do have a fix for this. The fix will allow you to keep GR pointed to the UG mod and let you join stock games. The minor problem is when you join the stock game you will see the UG mod guns and the stock guns in the weapons list, but you will not be able to play with the UG guns. So if you select one then once ingame you will have no weapon.

After all that reading my question is what way do you guys want it.

Keep UG mod active and just remember what guns are stock and what ones are UG or make it so you can't join stock games with the UG mod active?
Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter. -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:49 am

Maybe so its possible to select which you would like to start up Raven Shield With. Like the other Mod but so it works via GR.

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:35 pm

Pedro wrote:Maybe so its possible to select which you would like to start up Raven Shield With. Like the other Mod but so it works via GR.
That would require Kevill to make a luancher like he did for Athena. But I don't think he should do it till the actuall release of the UG mod comes out, no need to make a launcher for the alpha release yet, IMO.

BTW - You're welcome Monoman (and the rest of the Mac Community), for giving you the inspiration to get this to work on GR. =P
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter."

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:42 pm

After some more testing we are now able to launch the UG Mod directly from GameRanger without having to activate it in the options before creating the maplist. As long as the host has Raven Shield in the root application folder. By pointing GR to the UG mod application instead of the stock Raven Shield app (in gameranger preferences/games).

Allthough we did run into an anomoly with some users not being able to join, and some that can. Monoman could join the hosted game if the host activated the mod manually, but couldn't join when launched straight from GR, yet Juanage and I could join both ways without any issues. We can't pinpoint the problem. Maybe a hardware issue, or maybe a corrupt UG mod? Hopefully with further testing we can figure it out.

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:19 pm

I just finished the updated app and everything looks good. I will be testing it for the next few days to make sure nothing pops up.

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:37 pm

Everything works good on my end, with the new app(Tue Feb 07). Though I have noticed one user is unable to connect. He is able to load the map, and then gets a Connection Failed. No matter how he tries to join my server, GR or IP join. Other players are able to join without an issue.

I had my laptop set-up as a dedicated server and Eddi, DrBallard and I were able to join and play without a problem.

Don't know if this has anything to do with it but worth noting, I've noticed players on G5's havent had an issue, the player that is having an issue is on a G4 powerbook.

BTW- He does not have the new app.

A connection failed error leads me to believe its a port issue or an ISP issue. But that doesn't really make sense cause he is able to join stock Raven Shield and Athena Sword games with any problems.

I'm dumbfounded.

Swf-Eddi

Post by Swf-Eddi » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:07 pm

Hi guys just a quick note to monoman you have posted the wrong version of UG,its not the one with I-Guard added to it niether has it had the chat spamming prob fixed, i had a few people not bieng ablr to join and getting "incompatible version message", its gotta be this cos those that have had the same as mine they were playing, ive also been in a room with 4 people since so i think it works when people install those 2 items correctly,Thanks for this. Also at the top of the mod file there is a version number i think this has to be the same for all to be able to join. :)

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:38 pm

Yes, the UG mod I posted was the original mod. You do not need to change the version number at top that was a test case we tried early, Eddi. As for iGuard, I did not add that since some people may not use it so it is up to the user to add iGuard to it.

To add iGuard to the UG mod, add the following lines to your UG.mod file.

Code: Select all

[Engine.GameEngine]
ServerActors=iGuard.iGuardLauncher
ServerPackages=iGuard
I added a iGuard enabled UG.mod file to the download. So everyone doesn't freak out.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

Vadimnk

This is great!

Post by Vadimnk » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:25 pm

Hey its great that you guys got it working!

Is there anything on my side that I can add to the next release, so it would be an official update.

Maybe stuff like

Code: Select all

[Engine.GameEngine]
ServerActors=iGuard.iGuardLauncher
ServerPackages=iGuard 
this can be added on my side to make your lifes easier, aslong as it doesn't interfere with the PC version, but I can make one off's for, gasp Macs, lol.

Well great news to hear, I also seen the downloads.

Good Luck,

Vadim

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:06 pm

iGuard is an anti-cheat program for Mac. I've included a iGuard ready UG.mod file so you don't have to worry about a seperate file.

We are just waiting for the next release. I'm a fan of the new grenades.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

Swf-Eddi

Post by Swf-Eddi » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:23 pm

Hello 2 types of mac ive noticed that cant use this mod so far are imac G4 733mhz and a G4 powerbook if any 1 else can add a model of G4 to the list please post it, ive also noticed that a G4 mini-mac can play, so could this be a G4 grafix card problem inside the UG mod? ANY THOUGHTS on this,let me know via here or if u see me on GR. :?

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:41 pm

The thing that boggles me is the connection failed error after the map loads (with the mod activated).

The person that is having problems joining my room is on a G4 powerbook, but it has a 128 MB card in it, so that shouldn't be the issue.

The thing is, he was able to join my game on gameranger earlier in development of the launcher app that mono made, and now he is getting the error in the latter stage.

He can't join IP games either, so it couldn't be the app. It has to be some kind of connectivity or processor issue. Yet he can join stock games just fine.

It just doesn't make sense.

Swf-Eddi

Post by Swf-Eddi » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:06 am

OK But could it be a grafix card prob in the UG mod itself ie. its looking for a specific make,model or size and if it doesnt match it cancels startup. Its just an idea,cos im starting to run out of them.We need to speak to the UG developers they might have a quick answer!! But i tried to contact them and their site had been hacked and are in the process of rebuilding.

vadimnk

Post by vadimnk » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:20 pm

Ok I'm here and listening :D .

Monoman:
iGuard is an anti-cheat program for Mac. I've included a iGuard ready UG.mod file so you don't have to worry about a seperate file.

We are just waiting for the next release. I'm a fan of the new grenades.
The new release is going to have a different UG.mod because I changed some code package architecture.

Now the next was release was just going to be an 1.60 alpha, but since the code change and the M16a4, full auto, I'm gonna go with 1.56 too.

Hehe, I love white phosporous too :), now I have to make the fire kill the person if they touch it.

Swf-Eddi:
Hello 2 types of mac ive noticed that cant use this mod so far are imac G4 733mhz and a G4 powerbook if any 1 else can add a model of G4 to the list please post it, ive also noticed that a G4 mini-mac can play, so could this be a G4 grafix card problem inside the UG mod? ANY THOUGHTS on this,let me know via here or if u see me on GR. Confused

I just don't see why a graphic card would have anything to do with this.. lol weird. Then again Macs are too unpredictable.. lol.

What I actually think on this, maybe they versions are mismatching, missing some files
Vir2L™:
The thing that boggles me is the connection failed error after the map loads (with the mod activated).

The person that is having problems joining my room is on a G4 powerbook, but it has a 128 MB card in it, so that shouldn't be the issue.

The thing is, he was able to join my game on gameranger earlier in development of the launcher app that mono made, and now he is getting the error in the latter stage.

He can't join IP games either, so it couldn't be the app. It has to be some kind of connectivity or processor issue. Yet he can join stock games just fine.

It just doesn't make sense.
If its going that far I realy think maybe their files are messed up, what you could do is try sending them execatly what you have, maybe that would work.
Swf-Eddi:
OK But could it be a grafix card prob in the UG mod itself ie. its looking for a specific make,model or size and if it doesnt match it cancels startup. Its just an idea,cos im starting to run out of them.We need to speak to the UG developers they might have a quick answer!! But i tried to contact them and their site had been hacked and are in the process of rebuilding.
As far as I know I don't have anything linked to the graphic card in my code or .mod file, I really doubt this is the case. Unless it grabes and keeps my graphic card information, ATI 9800 XT Pro, but I doubt this too.

Here is what you can try doing:

Open the .mod file with text editor, and scroll down too [Engine.GameEngine]
Then take a look at the Cache size default is CacheSizeMegs=32 maybe giving it more or less will work, just make sure you use mutliples of 4, 8,16,32,64,128,256 etc.

But Like I said I'm here and I'm listening, I could try this sometime, I deal with some mac minis and powerbooks etc., but I try staying away from macs in the first place, lol.
Vadim (CovertShot)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Unfinished-Games.com Developer
Author of Ordnance Project

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:37 am

vadimnk wrote:but I try staying away from macs in the first place, lol.
Thats what we are here for, we can deal with the Mac side. :wink:

So far the problem on the Mac side seems to come from only a certain comp model (G4 Powerbooks). The newer models don't have any problems with the mod.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig