coop tournament interest?

Special Operations Group

Moderator: Vir2L™

Vir2L™
Ranger

coop tournament interest?

Post by Vir2L™ » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Any interest in a small tournament?

Whether it be a firefight only or missions with objectives. Would anyone be willing to help put it together?

I'm bored.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter."

SiP
Peon

Post by SiP » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:35 am

It's too bad GameRanger doesn't have a function to track COOP gaming statistics. For example, a ladder based upon time to completion (or failure), difficulty level, team size, mods activated, and mission would really add a far greater level of appeal to the COOP aspect of GhR online play. However, I'm sure we could find other ways to organize tournament COOP play.
Yah sure ya betcha!!
ImageImage

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:51 am

ya I have organized two small coop tournaments (as well as SOG competing in SR2004). The people that played in the SOG tourneys seemed to really enjoy them. It's alot of work putting it together/organizing timeslots/observing play/etc. If there are other people that are willing to help it would be nice. If not, no harm no foul. Just tryin to get my GhR blood flowing again. Bloodclot.

SiP
Peon

Post by SiP » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:33 am

I took a look at the link you, Vir2L, posted above for Stealth Recon 2004 - are there plans for a SR2005? If so, I'd be very much interested to hear more. This goes for other, similar events as well. BTW, all the clans listed - lest SOG - are unfamiliar to me. The whole coop scene must be of greater interest in the PC world, yes?
Yah sure ya betcha!!
ImageImage

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:16 am

yes, the PC coop community is about 100 times as big on the PC side.

There were only 2 Mac based teams in the SR2004 tournament, [01] and SOG. I haven't heard of any news of a SR2005.

I have heard of some news that +SD (a PC clan) is hosting a tournament, sign-ups start in June. I have tried to enter us in one of their tourneys before, but the problem was that they were requiring teams to use Teamspeak (which we don't have on mac), so we were unable to play. They require it because it is easy for them to coordinate with us and grade us.

I'll look into seeing if they will allow us to play in it this time... maybe we can get one of them to use KDX or some other cross platform VOIP application.

I have emailed one of the Special Detachment members, in hopes he will reply with an answer. Cross your fingers.

The unKNown:SOG

Post by The unKNown:SOG » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:11 pm

yes i will help let me know

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:25 am

I think we are arranging one here at MGM. If you would like to help grade/observe teams it would be much appreciated. I'll give you more details whenever things start getting going.

I think we will be able to participate as well as observe being that it's gonna be a firefight tournament and it wont give us any real advantage casue of the randomness..

ZiPpo

Co-op tourname nt

Post by ZiPpo » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:43 am

Vir2L, I would be happy to participate in any way that you like, be it actual involvement in tournament regulation/observation or participation in the tourney. Let me know how I can help.

This would be a hoot!

ZiPpo
DRINK DUFF. We fight to keep it free.

Blade
Veteran

Post by Blade » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:37 am

Being an established tactician, I wouldn't mind evaluating/critiquing others' performance.

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:40 am

Right on Unk and ZiP, i'll keep you guys posted. Might need you guys to test some of the maps out, see which ones are worthy of tournament play. BTW - I have a new gametype i have been saving special just for this event. Similar to alpha squads FF 40, 50, 60.
Blade wrote:Being an established tactician, I wouldn't mind evaluating/critiquing others' performance.
lol, established eh? That's a bold statement. lol, jp.

I'd say you are reading into this a bit to much. The purpose of a grader/observer is to make sure the participating teams are abiding by the rules of tournament play. We don't grade/critique peoples performance. The outcome of the mission is what we base their score on. For a firefight tournament the teams score points for the amount of baddies they terminate. An objective based tournament we have a certain amount of points teams get per objective completed.

If we were to critique someones playing style, most wouldn't pass, though it would be kinda fun. lol, jk. But we aren't here to pass judgement, the graders job is to make sure people are following the rules. Not the most exciting job watching several teams insert on the same map over and over and over and over and over and over. You get the point. hehe.

Blade
Veteran

Post by Blade » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:03 am

Even so, I don't think people would mind the bonus of critiquing (save a couple of people in advs clans who would lose their temper). And if they don't want it, they can just say "no thanks."

So, I wouldn't mind doing just the 'boring' part either. For any job, I'm here, and I'm impartial (no clan membership).

ZiPpo

Blade

Post by ZiPpo » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:05 am

Thanks for your gracious offer! Ghost Recon needs more folks like you!

sparrow

Post by sparrow » Sun May 29, 2005 9:07 am

I would like to play some tournament stuff. I need to polish my skills a bit - I think I do ok but my game is kind of hit or miss sometimes.

I really need to learn how to communicate tango locations to players better, I understand where my 12, my 9, 11 etc. is but by the time I figure out where a tango is in relation to a player they are dead or have killed the tango.

ie: Zippo, tango on your..... erm...... "we got a man down!!!" ...... tango on your 9.......

I think it is all the drugs I did when I was younger.....

Probably also the fact that I have just started playing using vox and eventually relaying tango positions will become more intuitive.
Waiter, theres a terrorist in my soup.

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Sun May 29, 2005 12:07 pm

u have command map grids? Those work the best.

And to give more detailed coordinates break down a grid into 9 zones like the number keys on a keyboard.

Tango at grid echo 3 9'er

ZiPpo

position

Post by ZiPpo » Mon May 30, 2005 7:00 am

It is also recommended that you look at the grid upon insertion. You will ultimately learn how to determine your movements and which grids are near you. If you are in Alpha One, you don't need to be concerned with a tango at Foxtrot 13, for instance.

Communications is vital, I wish Eikon was still active, as he had one of the best methodologies for comms. He inquired as to his particular assignment, and that and the host giving commands is paramount to survival.