SiP & Operation Iraqi Freedom

Special Operations Group

Moderator: Vir2L™

CyberPsycho

Hey Sip ,

Post by CyberPsycho » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:50 pm

Happy Black Friday Sip,
Good to ear from you,
when i read your NV fog problem, a tought came to my mind, when i go scubadiving, the first thing i do when i dress up is i spit in my mask spread the saliva with my fingers and let it dry a bit, after im all dressed up i was my mask in water, this is a trick that i learned years ago that prevent the mask to fog underwater. But maibe the your trick to prevent your NV to fog is what you said wear your NV a bit further from your eye or eyes, was it monocular or binocular ?
Take Care.

Steph

SiP
Peon

Post by SiP » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:01 pm

Cyb, I have binocular NVG - the AN/PVS 7B's. They are fairly good, however, it would be nice to have a model with a lil' higher generation. Oh well, I may get an upgrade in the near future.
Yah sure ya betcha!!
ImageImage

CyberPsycho

NVG

Post by CyberPsycho » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:04 am

Hi Sip, i found on google.com some info. about your NVG, your are a 3rd gen right ? higher would be 4 ?

the followings info are for the gen3.

Nomenclature:

AN/PVS-7B Bravo Night Vision Goggles NVG
AN/PVS-7D Delta Night Vision Goggles NVG

Description:

PVS-7B Night Vision Goggles allow the user to see at night using moonlight or starlight. PVS-7Ds can be hand held, head-mounted, or helmet-mounted. The goggles have an IR illuminator for illumination or signaling. An indicator lets the user know when the IR light is on. A separate indicator signals low battery. Automatic shutoff occurs on high light, when goggle is detached from the head mount, or flipped up on the helmet mount.

Characteristics:

Weight: 18 oz
Focus Range: 20 cm to Infinity
Range: 150 m (Starlight), 300 m (Moonlight)
Battery: (2) AA or (1) BA-5567/U
Battery Life: 30 hours
Magnification: 1X
Field of View: 40°
Interpupilary Adjustment: 55 to 71 mm
PVS-7D and PVS-7B include head mount for hands free operation

i wonder if yours have thermal imaging built-in ?
when you say you wish you had a higher gen. you mean another model with higher gen. or same model with higher gen. or the AN/PVS-7D.

i understood that some gen3 have higher rez than others like the LRNVB Long range Generation 3+ binoculars , those are nice looking googles with mirror lens, i wonder what is the magnification, it say 6x , i would like to see videos or images at 1x and 6x .

SiP
Peon

Post by SiP » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:39 pm

On the 9th we were issued our new uniforms - the ACU. They come fully equiped with digital camo design, zipper and velcro connection points, and redesigned pocket placement. Basically, they look really kick-ass! Well, all things aside, the best thing about anything new is that it's new.

My internet service expires soon, so I may not get back on the net until I return to Minnesota for X-Max Exodus on the 21st. Laters all.

Oh, btw, I've been acquiring lots of photos and video from my fellow brothers in arms. I'll look into posting and/or FTP'ing whatever I can of them in the days to come.
Yah sure ya betcha!!
ImageImage

SiP
Peon

Post by SiP » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:59 am

Well, I'm home for the holidays at last! It's such a wonderful feeling. Lots and lots of snow, though, but I'd take that any day over Camp Shelby. My leave time is from 21 Dec 05 to 02 jan 06 and I have made plans to do as little as possible as far as scheduled and structured days are concerned. I'll try to be online frequently when not catchin up with family and friends during that time. Well. gotta jet. Laters.
Yah sure ya betcha!!
ImageImage

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:51 pm

Happy Holidays, and best of wishes to you all, let 2006 be the best year yet!
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter."

SiP
Peon

Post by SiP » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:00 pm

Quite frankly, since my return to lovily Shelby, my unit has been damn busy! We just got back from the field yesterday after conducting a 9-day exercise. During which, I averaged 2-4 hours of sleep each night - so, basically it sucked big time in that regard. "News on the street" has it that we now know our primary mission in Iraq - security. Yep, that's it. Apparently, we are not going there on a combat mission despite the fact that we are infantry unit. Personally, I have no complaints whatsoever about receiving such a mission. And, to be honest, it is great to know that an assualt unit such as my own is not going over there to simply fight people. Granted, we will likely encounter plenty of violence; but, combat itself will not be the aim of our unit's mission.

Another good thing about the fact that this type of mission has been tasked to my unit is that of the bigger picture in Iraq. I believe there is something to say about the progress in Iraq if a combat unit is being deployed there to conduct a non-combact mission. Being over there for 12 months is a long time. So, who knows, we may even be tasked out to conduct a variety of sub-missions such as humanitarian, civic, etc.

Best of all, from what I've heard it appears that my unit's primary base of operation is a quite well established military post. Word from higher has it that we will likely be housed in 3-person rooms outfitted with Internet service!

Well, that's it for now. Oh, and by the way, it's looking as though when my unit moves to Ft. Polk for training during February, we will not have Internet service
Yah sure ya betcha!!
ImageImage

SiP
Peon

Post by SiP » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:17 pm

It's been a long and very eventful six months of train-up. I had meant to get online more often than I did but this is just the way things work out sometimes. Much awaits me in the year to come but I, for my own safety and the safety of my fellow warriors, cannot divulge any information that pertains to events yet to come. However, in the near future I hope to provide any updates that I am safely allowed to leak. For now, I'm just getting in whatever time I can on the Internet since my access to such a service in the year to come may be minimal or even non-existent. Not to forget, I'm also enjoying this nice Mississippi weather. The recent weather in Southwest Asia, I hear, hasn't been too bad either, but that trend will likely not last long.

Although I'm not allowed to convey mission specifics, I can say that our unit mission has changed multiple times over the past six months. Finally, however, our most currently delegated mission is solid and will be carried out. Our mission is potentially among the most dangerous out there, but I have great confidence in our combat capacity. For the type of unit that we are, we are the most extensively trained and best outfitted and equipped.

If I don't find time to visit the forum again before we relocate, my best wishes go out to y'all. See ya on the flip side.
Yah sure ya betcha!!
ImageImage

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:34 pm

Best of luck, and my thoughts and prayers will be with you and your brigade. Stay strong my brotha! We'll miss seeing you around.

KIT

SiP
Peon

Post by SiP » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:44 am

Hot Hot Hot is the word of the day around these parts lately. All has been going fairly good considering the greater picture for me at hand. I've working long night shifts so far. I sucks very much at first but then you realize to just "suck it up and drive on."

I have a incredible amount to say about what I've seen and done here, but for security reasons I MUST refrain. Sorry. I am keeping an extensive journal, however. Sometime in the not so near future I plan to share it with others.

Well, I gotta go.
Yah sure ya betcha!!
ImageImage

juanage

Post by juanage » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:27 pm

InSiPidus wrote:Hot Hot Hot is the word of the day around these parts lately. All has been going fairly good considering the greater picture for me at hand. I've working long night shifts so far. I sucks very much at first but then you realize to just "suck it up and drive on."

I have a incredible amount to say about what I've seen and done here, but for security reasons I MUST refrain. Sorry. I am keeping an extensive journal, however. Sometime in the not so near future I plan to share it with others.

Well, I gotta go.
keep your head down.

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:22 pm

And keep you eyes open for those damn snipers!!!

I saw a horrible video the other day about merc snipers shooting our troops... not cool.

juanage

Post by juanage » Mon May 29, 2006 11:30 am

Hey SiP - do you think can post or email one of us an APO where we can send you and your buddys stuff? I think we'd all be more than happy to help out any way we can.
~J

SiP
Peon

Post by SiP » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:20 pm

SPC Dinsmore, Samuel
Force Protection
2nd Bn 135th Inf Det 1
APO AE 09387

My time on the net is very limited for the time being. A number of my fellow soldiers and I have arranged for an Internet service to be installed in our housing complex, but that plan has yet to be executed. To be honest, my time in all regards, is very limited. My unit is very busy and works entirely in the "Sunni Triangle," so I do what I can to keep in touch with those on the outside.

-Sip, Out
Yah sure ya betcha!!
ImageImage

SiP
Peon

Post by SiP » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:45 pm

On May 15, 2006, my squad was hit by an IED. Nobody in the vehicle that was struck by the blast was killed but one was critically injured and he is now back in the United States attending rehabilitation.

I was not in the victim vehicle. However, I was in the third of the three vehicles in the patrol, so I was witness to the blast from a significantly close range of roughly 200 m.

Two other soldiers in the that lead vehicle were also injured, but it sounds like all three will fully recover.
Yah sure ya betcha!!
ImageImage