Map Ideas

Everything about GhRD and its mods.
Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:13 pm

I can't seem to find the site I saw the idea on but, I was thinking Assassination might be able to be modified to work. The only problem I can think of is the traitor would show up red on the map. This would make the traitor easy to spot once the team started to separate.
Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter. -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

Mongrel

Traitor Gametype

Post by Mongrel » Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:05 am

The similarity to "Assass." makes it ideal. As I said in chat, I don't think that it's really a problem that traitor is seen on screen. I think it makes it challenging all around. The traitor can also see his victims/teammates on screen also. Not to mention that the team has it's hands full defending itself against the other team. What's even BETTER is that, although each team has a new "enemy within," the traitor DOESN'T have new allies on the other team b/c THEY don't know who the traitor on the other team is either! And they don't see the reticulation, so they keep shooting at someone who is, ultimately, on their side. What you end up having is fatal confusion and mass paranoia and brilliant opportunities for friendly fire!!! Trust me, in actual play, it's a rush!

The main thing is that the traitor HAS TO START (the first five minutes of the game) secretly. That way, psychologically, the tension builds as people wonder who it's going to be!

If you don't have time to accomplish this, Monoman, maybe I could try, but I really have no idea where to start with something like this.

Mongrel
-- "My kingdom for a Humvee."

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:02 pm

Another problem I thought of would be when the Traitor kills someone it would say the Traitor's name killed player. Then everyone on the team would know who the traitor was then.

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

Mongrel

"The Enemy Within"

Post by Mongrel » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:58 pm

I know, Monoman; that's exactly my point. It is this very fact that MAKES it so challenging. When the rest of the team knows who it is, they attempt to chase him/her down out of a misplaced sense of vengeance. And they forget that the other team is STILL gunning for them. So they chase the traitor around the map and get popped from all sides.

But the traitor doesn't have it any easier, as I said, because the other team (who is substantively on his/her side) is going to shoot, not ever knowing it's him/her--the traitor's name doesn't show up on THEIR screens.

I've played it (or rather been the observer out of necessity) a couple of times and you really have to see it in action to realize what a kick in the pants it is. Think about it!

Mongrel

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:56 pm

The problem is the Traitor's name would show up on there screens. The only way it wouldn't would be to make the Traitor be on a different team, but then he wouldn't spawn with the other team.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

clarification

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:31 am

Hey, Mononman!

I guess the point that I'm trying to make is:

it is a GOOD thing that the traitor's name shows up on screen/map.

Why? Because:

1) It keeps the traitor on his toes.
2) His own team, naturally, will try to dispatch him using the map/screen, but will probably FORGET to be cautious of the enemy team in their eagerness.

The ONLY thing that matters is that the start screen says "You are the TRAITOR! Go Go GO!" And then the traitor can start shooting right away, or can wait a few minutes.

One way that you could solve the WHOLE problem is by asking everyone to change their name to the same thing before a game starts, so no one knows who is who, but I DON"T think that's necessary.

Anyway, would it be easy to simply modify Assassination so that it chooses a traitor randomly and displays the message "You are the TRAITOR! Go Go GO!" ?

Mongrel

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:39 pm

I don't see how this game would last longer than the first kill by the traitor. Since the kill would be TK and the team would then know who the traitor was. This would only work if the player became the traitor after 5 minutes or so. Then the team would be more spread out and engaged with the other team. Although, the problem of knowing who the traitor is after the first kill would still be there.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

Mongrel

For the last time...

Post by Mongrel » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:51 pm

For the last time...I'm BEGGING you to hear me--I've PLAYED this game already. I was the one who told each team's traitor that they were it. Before we entered the game proper. There were two teams of 3 a piece, plus me as an observer. It was a BLAST.

The traitors didn't "turn" until 5 minutes into the game. And after they made their first TK, it was even more fun knowing who they were. You really have to play the gametype to appreciate the psychology of what happens to the two teams.

If you want, I'll try to round up some grunts and schedule a time so you can play it in action. It's high adrenaline, believe me.

Mongrel

Sephiroth Clock
Veteran

Post by Sephiroth Clock » Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:43 am

You two talk too much =\.

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:08 pm

Some time when we are both on we can try it out.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig