How to edit the Command Map?

Everything about GhRD and its mods.
[BIG] Ranger
Operative

How to edit the Command Map?

Post by [BIG] Ranger » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:48 am

Hi...

I would like to 'redraw' the command map to suit the way I play.

Is there any paint package I can open the command map file? And once redrawn what format must I save it in?

Many thanks,

Ranger

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:09 pm

You will need the Rogue Spear RSB Converter. You can find it on my Planet site under the RSD armpatch tutorial or on the *Damn armpatch tutorial. The RSB Converter doesn't really work to good on converter GhR rsb files to .pict files but it is perfect for converting .pict files to rsb files that GhR will recognize. You could first try converting the command map rsb file with converter and seeing how if comes out. Your other options are to use a third party custom command map or take a screenshot of the command map and go from there. You can find a gridded Castle command map in the GhRD downloads. The RSB Converter should be able to convert that with no problems. If nothing seems to be working I can just convert the command map to a workable format and you can go from there.
Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter. -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

[BIG] Ranger
Operative

Post by [BIG] Ranger » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:08 am

Many thanks for this Monoman...

I thought it might not be straight forward. But I am going to give it a go.

Basically what I want to do is a simplified 'tactical' map to help people easily identify 'zones'.

I am fed up with calling out 'House 'A' clear - or whatever - only to have people say 'which one is House 'A'? - So I am going to label them in the map...

Next I am going to divide the map into simple tactical zones - Red, Blue and Green, etc. So people know roughly where the enemy is.

The grid map is nice - but who has teh time in game to look up exactly which grid sqaure when you are being shot at!!!??? LOL

At least wit a simple zone system you stand a chance of getting the info acoss quickly.

So thanks for the help - I will let you know how I get on (probably have to ask you more questions as I go along).

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:23 am

Why don't you make zones and grids? cough, Such as [01]'s command maps cough

I prefer grids so i know precisely where the enemy is. I hardly find myself calling out zones, becasue not everyone has command maps with zones. Most people I know just have grid maps which are all basically the same. Uniformity is the key IMO.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter."

[BIG] Ranger
Operative

Post by [BIG] Ranger » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:09 am

Hi Vir2L

To be honest - if I can get it to work (the conversion on a Mac) I will probably end up doing a series...

I doubt if I will get it right first time anyway.

:)

For teh experienced player grids are ideal - especially if you print out a version so you can quickly check (part of my idea is to produce a PDF print version)...

For the newbie though, zones will probably work better at first.

When I get em done I will post the links up here - be nice to have your comments.

Ranger

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:03 am

I forgot that you have a PC. If you have Photoshop on it, I can give you the plugin which will get rid of any problems you would have trying to do this on a Mac.

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

[BIG] Ranger
Operative

Post by [BIG] Ranger » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:41 am

yep - I use both a PC & Mac in my work. So if you can pass that on that would be great...

:)

many thanks:

beaty@mac.com

Blade
Veteran

Post by Blade » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:51 am

RSB Converter successfully does .pict to .rsb for GhR?

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:10 pm

It does for some files. Normally the files with alpha channels are the problem since .pict files don't handle alpha channels.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

ReverendMoss

Post by ReverendMoss » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:20 pm

Any chance of getting one of these .rsb converters that is OSX native? I dont even have Classic anymore.

I'm using GraphicConverterX, but GhR seems to have problems reading the files.
"We are condemned to kill time: Thus we die bit by bit."
~Octavio Paz

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:26 am

The most I could do is a PC Photoshop plugin. I've never been able to get the plugin to work on the Mac version but you are free to try. Also, are you trying to convert back to rsb or from rsb? If you are trying to convert from rsb, I already have all the command maps in png format for download on the site. Easy editing then. 8)

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig