Sparky's Bitmaps and Sounds Collection v0.9.1 "Sandy Beach"

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Sparky
Delta Force

Re: Sparky's Bitmaps and Sounds Collection (Snow Release!)

Post by Sparky » Sat May 28, 2011 7:40 pm

What an amazing experience it is to hear your own heartbeat in-game as the health low heartbeat looping sound!
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:09 pm

Hold on while I groan at how long it takes to edit each sound sample, and how repetitive it is and yet non-macro-supported.

*grrrroooooooaaaaaannnnnnn*.... :( :cry: :burning: :snooze: :sick:
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:36 pm

Sparky wrote:Hold on while I groan at how long it takes to edit each sound sample, and how repetitive it is and yet non-macro-supported.

*grrrroooooooaaaaaannnnnnn*.... :( :cry: :burning: :snooze: :sick:
whatayamean? for a 2 minute file, it takes about 2 minutes to edit, and 10-20 seconds to convert to the bitrate if you use modzy's sound injector. Hmm which is better, tool or sound injector...
Yarok wrote:There may be a giant dildo protruding from your forehead.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Re: Sparky's Bitmaps and Sounds Collection

Post by Mgalekgolo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:47 pm

How, I couldn't figure it out when I had CE.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:03 am

Here's what I do:

1. Open in Sound Studio (mac) the raw audio footage (so to speak) that I recorded with a handheld audio recorder at 44.1kHz in .wav PCM format. I had already named each sample after its content.
2. Find the usable selections and copy each, pasting to a new audio file window.
3. Go through each new file and take the first 1/10th of a second from the file and apply a fade-in filter, then a fade-out filter to the last 1/10th of a second in the file.
4. Save each new audio file within a folder named after the sound effect, naming them like permutations, as ordered numbers 00, 01, 02, and so on. There are anywhere between 2 and 32 permutations of each sound effect (amazing, eh?)
5. Continue ad nauseum with each sample of each material's footstep sounds.
6. (...)still continue ad nauseum with...
7. STILL continue... ad... nauseum... wi-...
8. *SNORE*
9. nobutseriously, Copy the entire directory to the data directory of the HEK (easy cake)
10. Build and tweak the metadata of the tags using Tool and Guerilla so they will be handled appropriately in the game, with understandable distance ranges of audibility and foley type. In Tool, I use the command in the console (an esoteric setup and I also have tool pro instead of tool) "tool_pro sounds <tag path to data files> ogg 1" . I'm trying it with ogg rather than xbox because of the sound quality, even though some dude said that xbox is better with sound effects and ogg is better with music.
11. Add the tags to the material effects tag so the spartan biped can use them.
12. Build a map with Tool, then open the map with Eschaton (Mac) and extract the foot tag and import it into a Halo Demo map and test it out by changing the 7th reference of the sbsp material (which is the ground of the map) to different materials like snow, dirt, ice, thin metal, etc.
Last edited by Sparky on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:06 am

I think I'll stay with sound injector... I keep it simple.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:09 am

With all the permutations I'm using, it would be much more difficult, time consuming, etc. if I were to use Sound Injector. :flamer:

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:10 am

If I knew the nuances of prenumations, Then maybe I would know lol.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:59 pm

Sorry the final version is not completed by the due date for submissions into the May contest :\ it would have REALLY helped... maybe...

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:17 pm

QuickTime Movie:
http://www.halodemomods.com/mediawiki/i ... w_flip.mov

(I was tired of having it autoplay, so I linked it instead.)
Last edited by Sparky on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:43 pm

New version 0.9.1 includes ice bitmaps and some object and environment sounds. I didn't reference the heartbeat loop sound here, but I'm getting ready to include the vehicle modifications too. The warthog sounds, for example, are modified -- see if you can hear the door slam when you exit the vehicle (it only happens sometimes).

You can download this version, which is a whopping 250 MB zip file (360 MB unzipped), or you can wait until the final version which will include more object sound effects, ambient sound loops, and foley effects and sounds.

Sparky
Delta Force

Re: Sparky's Bitmaps and Sounds Collection v0.9.1 "Sandy Bea

Post by Sparky » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:23 am

The picture I posted above is from the Sandy Beach variant.

What I should do is when I'm finished with the whole thing, I should group the bitmaps into shader collections so they are very easy to use as example templates for your mods. What I have now are bitmaps and sounds with recognizably-organized names. Additionally, I would find out which bitmaps fit together well (which of them tile the best for the scales of UVW mapping used by bloodgulch's shader environments, the ground, canyon walls, and bases) and provide simply-named shader environments that use those bitmaps. This is what I've done manually with the previous two examples, Snow and Sand. What I would do now to those mods is export the modified shaders to a new tag name with Eschaton. For example, the first senv tag I modified for demonstration in the alpha release that you see in the above movie clip I might name "Snowy Grass", while the second that you see in the picture above I might name "Sandy Beach". That way, when you want to use a snowy texture for the ground, you could just use my recommended shader environment (senv) tag, rather than go through and test how each snow bitmap looks within each reference in the existing senv ground shader by swapping it and looking at it in-game.

Hmm... that makes me think of another use for Zeus: viewing shaders on the ground in the scenario viewer immediately after you change them.

Smythe
Commando

Post by Smythe » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:31 pm

My suggestion is just to change the cliffs, right now they aren't exactly pretty.
Use the default one, and maybe try an overlay of your current one. then change the saturation and such.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:27 pm

I thought someone might think the appearance was unusual, so I took another picture. It looks much nicer up close, since the texture is from a rock rather than a cliffside.

kiddten
Commando

Post by kiddten » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:52 pm

The sand doesn't look too sandy... and it doesn't blend well with the cliff at all.
by too sandy, I mean it looks pink/grey. It should be closer to gold/yellow than red.
kiddten, on most things nowadays wrote:no
TaxiService wrote:HERE IS THE GODDAMN WALDO YOU CHEATING DICK
๖ۣۜĐeяP wrote:U MOTHER FUCKER AND U FUCKING PARENTS AND FUCKED OFF ASS HOLES