Letter requesting source code of the Halo Universal Binary

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Sparky
Delta Force

Letter requesting source code of the Halo Universal Binary

Post by Sparky » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:19 am

Let's send a letter to MacSoft requesting the source code for the Halo Universal Binary.

Contact information

There are many reasons why we would want to do this. Our main purpose is to create a demo version for Halo UB. Please submit your letter proposals here and we'll come up with a single revision to send as a letter, and I'll make a follow-up phone call to them when the time comes.

Go ahead and get together over Mumble and use CollabEdit.com to make the letter. I'll propose one here too.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Re: Letter requesting source code of the Halo Universal Bina

Post by Mgalekgolo » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:18 am

I like the idea, but I doubt they will allow us access to it, as it still makes up to $5 a year :P.
Yarok wrote:There may be a giant dildo protruding from your forehead.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:19 am

Dear MacSoft:

Since January 2006, the online community members of Mac Gaming Mods (http://www.macgamingmods.com) have enjoyed creating mods and modding applications for Halo and Halo Demo for Mac. MGM members have had many thousands of discussions about this game on their forum and have released many hundreds of modifications based upon Halo Demo's only multiplayer map, Bloodgulch. They even created a wiki to publish the majority of their content as a separate web site called Halo Demo Mods (http://www.halodemomods.com), where mod authors could find everything they needed to learn how to expand the playability of the original Halo game according to their own creativity and the creative works of other Halo modding community members.

Recently, we at MGM and HDM have endeavored to expand the playability of the original Halo game through making it accessible to those using the latest computer hardware and software; the demo and full versions of Halo for Mac were originally released for PowerPC systems, and MacSoft more recently rebuilt Halo's full version application for Intel processors as a Universal Binary. Our community is very grateful for your contributions. Since then, we have noticed the need and demand for a demo version of Halo that would also be built for Intel processors as a Universal Binary.

Our modding community formed a few projects exploring methods for how we might create a demo version of Halo in the same spirit as the original Halo Demo application built for PowerPC. We have created ways in which this is possible, but all our methods remain nothing more than "hack-ish" attempts to reverse-engineer and study the source code which we do not have. We strongly believe in remaining true to the values of the game's software license agreement and have conveyed to our members the value of remaining legitimate ideologists rather than digress to software piracy. As a community, we do not allow our fellow enthusiastic modders to publish content only available in the commercial version of Halo, so that those who have not purchased the game remain unable to experience the game as it was published; simply, although we have created the tools to allow us to convert Halo Full maps to Halo Demo, we do not condone nor publish Halo Full maps that have been converted to Demo. Nevertheless, we continue to remain creative and inspired by the Halo game engine, and we hope to be able to pursue many of our exciting plans for this game into the future.

On behalf of the Halo modding communities, we would like to discuss with you the creation of an official Halo Demo Universal Binary for Mac.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
MacGamingMods and HaloDemoMods
(sign your name here)
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:23 am

It's worth a shot. I'll send it.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:24 am

Mgal, let's discuss this first before we shoot off the letter.

EDIT: I'm waiting for comments before I send this letter.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:51 am

Not going to happen, they're not allowed to give source code out, and it seems ridiculous for them to anyway.

You could ask them to just upgrade and release the Halo Demo to UB [and show them our efforts], but I doubt that they would want to do that (no real gain). It's better than source code request though. A better request actually is asking for the full version to be released on Mac App Store at a low cost - they should do it, makes little sense for them not to (but then they'd have to fix bugs with newer hardware).
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:11 am

Also they would need to start generating serial's. I emailed them and added a line something along the lines of "If you wish to undertake this endeavor as your own project, we may speak of that as well.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:17 am

Mgalekgolo wrote:Also they would need to start generating serial's. I emailed them and added a line something along the lines of "If you wish to undertake this endeavor as your own project, we may speak of that as well.
Please don't tell me you wasted your time asking for source code.

If they released Halo onto MAS, there would be no serial keys to deal with at all. Now that I think of it, due to how online multiplayer works, I guess that may be a problem.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:27 am

Mgal, did you send them my letter as an e-mail already?

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:17 pm

Yeah, before we mumbled.

Dead Site
Veteran

Post by Dead Site » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Uhh, no reply I'm guessing?
[url=steam://friends/add/76561198023999718]Image[/url]

Fonzeh
Ranger
Location: "I didn't just take your mom out to dinner. I ate your mom for dinner."

Post by Fonzeh » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:16 am

I would've added a little more heart to it, Modding Halo over the years ended up becoming a passion more than something fun or a hobby. I love you guys, this forum and this engine that we can do so much, but so little with. Heres the random off chance that this works.

If the obvious happens, so be it, I plan on not stopping hacking this game, theres still so much we can do, opensauce, the app that they are using for CMT SPV3 looks epic. CMT"s only problem is they're not a community map team. THey make amazing things, then lock them down for no one to use. That's not very cool...
G[v]N wrote:HUGE NOTIFICATION
THIS GRAVY HAS BRAINS
Mota-Lev was here 30/4/2010@2:18pm

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:08 pm

CMT released all their spv2 tags, and some maps are unprotected.

Smythe
Commando

Post by Smythe » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:53 am

CMT release most of their stuff when it's finished.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:47 pm

Mgal, what's the situation with their reply?