How to edit spawn points with Eschaton?

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

thehealthymodder

How to edit spawn points with Eschaton?

Post by thehealthymodder » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:29 am

I'm working on a multiplayer map where the players spawn high above the map and fall into the map, without fall damage of course.
How would I go about doing this with Eschaton, since SwordEdit keeps crashing every 5 seconds ----)

thanks

zapconquest
Ranger

Re: How to edit spawn points with Eschaton?

Post by zapconquest » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:42 pm

go into the scnr tag editor and change all the player spawn z-values

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:06 pm

...and then send Samuco a PM explaining the details of your problem.
Bunneh wrote:Now, please don't spam my newsfeed on how you need like 3 dildoes to make a giant dick statue on penisland or any of those other shitty facebook games.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:53 pm

zapconquest wrote:go into the scnr tag editor and change all the player spawn z-values
The fastest way to do this using Eschaton would be to load the level in the scenario viewer, then choose Player Spawns and copy-paste your determined value into all Z coordinate values.

Also, if you want to make full use of each spawn point in the map -- or the opposite, if you want to limit the number of active spawn points -- you will need to do this the more tedious way, through the scnr tag's metadata bitmask values for each player spawn chunk. There are 72 spawn points, I think, so this task will take a while. In fact, someone made a simple application to move all the spawn points into a single location on the default bloodgulch map, but that's not useful to you; it's a time-consuming task to adjust each coordinate manually.

Try using all three swordedit versions, two of which are here: http://www.halodemomods.com/wiki/Tools#swordedit
Samuco's latest build of swordedit: starlight can be found on his homepage.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

zapconquest
Ranger

Post by zapconquest » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:18 pm

Sparky wrote:
zapconquest wrote:go into the scnr tag editor and change all the player spawn z-values
The fastest way to do this using Eschaton would be to load the level in the scenario viewer, then choose Player Spawns and copy-paste your determined value into all Z coordinate values.

Also, if you want to make full use of each spawn point in the map -- or the opposite, if you want to limit the number of active spawn points -- you will need to do this the more tedious way, through the scnr tag's metadata bitmask values for each player spawn chunk. There are 72 spawn points, I think, so this task will take a while. In fact, someone made a simple application to move all the spawn points into a single location on the default bloodgulch map, but that's not useful to you; it's a time-consuming task to adjust each coordinate manually.

Try using all three swordedit versions, two of which are here: http://www.halodemomods.com/wiki/Tools#swordedit
Samuco's latest build of swordedit: starlight can be found on his homepage.
Thanks for elaborating on my taciturn response :) but yeah spawnpoint editing is an area where the tools we have now are kind of lacking.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:53 am

I think it's only the interface that is lacking.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:41 am

use the first first swordedit. It slowly eats maps but it doesnt crash shit.
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

thehealthymodder

Post by thehealthymodder » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:38 am

well, it worked...but players are stuck in the sky XD
OMG UNICRONS

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:25 am

Okay, that means that you put them a little too high.

Like, uh, try lowering them a little. (shame on me: i don't know at what coordinate the bsp ends!!)
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:33 pm

You brought them too high so that they spawn outside the ceiling of the map. Bring them down to about 2 to 2.8 in the Z axis coordinate. 2.4 works well for me, if I remember correctly from Weapons Evolved.