HaloMD

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

kiddten
Commando

Re: HaloMD

Post by kiddten » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:03 pm

I don't know if this is anything worth noting/I'm sure it's probably been noted but if someones running a server with a custom named map you don't have to do any fancy mod installation, you can just drag the map into the maps folder and it will load when you connect to the server. I've noticed this on halo for windows at least.
kiddten, on most things nowadays wrote:no
TaxiService wrote:HERE IS THE GODDAMN WALDO YOU CHEATING DICK
๖ۣۜĐeяP wrote:U MOTHER FUCKER AND U FUCKING PARENTS AND FUCKED OFF ASS HOLES

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:16 pm

Sparky wrote:
nil wrote:*New version of Crossing, fixing map header and some other internal problems. This is incompatible with the last version.
Do you realize that, with all the time, effort and work I did providing a revised version of crossing in CE, Full and Demo formats, this would be disconcerting to me? What is going on?
I just want to be more clear. It is not just the animations, Sparky. There was other internal issues with the map that didn't allow it to run on the Windows dedicated version properly - that we had to fix (002 or Taxi fixed these). Also, I believe the sword was removed already from a prior version - we hadn't removed some animation issues though with the cyborg, which was also something we had to fix so that it would not look so awkward.

If I were to do this all over again, I'm not sure I would have even included crossing and barrier. We started making these maps nicer before I even introduced the whole 3rd-party modding scheme, which is really what counts more now - people can mostly mod however they want, they can be played by lots of people, and they don't need my say in the matter anymore (as long as it isn't a straight rip from FV, and as long as it runs). Right now, I want to freeze these maps: bloodgulch, crossing, barrier from further updates. This way, modding them and providing patches for them will be easier.

But if we didn't go through this, Crossing and Barrier wouldn't be nearly as nice. After all, crossing wouldn't have been considered at all had you not fixed the issues with its console.

For patching, we are using bsdiff and bspatch (the latter comes bundled with OS X since 10.5 I think).

@kiddten: Yep, if you're on Windows. Otherwise it's easier to install it in MD.

[EDIT]: I have had several 10.8 and 10.6 testers, and one 10.5 tester. So I decided to push out beta 8 to the masses. As usual, you can update within the app.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:16 am

nil wrote:A fun recent game.

Some of you may have asked if you could do anything to help.. Well, there is.

Some players may not have updated the game ever since HDM went down on us. In fact, we are keeping track of stats for this (right now it seems like 13-15% are on an alpha version, and everyone else is on one of the betas. This is certainly better than it was before having 40% players on an alpha version).

The problem is, that eventually it will become problematic where anyone from the old version won't be able to see new modded servers (since the database is on MGM now). Two ways to go about this:
1) Let people know that they need to update within the application, reducing the percentage of alpha players (only players in the alpha version will see a fake "Update HaloMD" server in the lobby, so that is how you can tell if a player isn't up to date).
2) Tell more Mac users about HaloMD and gather more attention, reducing the percentage of alpha players.
So... Alpha players are on the old master server within HDM, did the server shutdown, or "Update HaloMD" is real server? Is their checking for updates button broken?

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:25 am

The way for applying mods in HaloMD is genius. Trick the game to thinking it's a regular map that is supposed to be played. I was wondering if there is a way to get a kind of similarity to Halo: Custom Edition with the custom maps, where every modded map is placed in the game map menu. Maybe you guys should go deep down in the game engine of Custom Edition to make this work.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:58 am

We looked into it, but ultimately decided to not try that very hacky approach (although what we are doing now is somewhat hacky as well). The maps and this functionality are set in stone. MDRenamer adjusts the UI for each map in the map selection - something not to forget. HaloMD adjusts the ui.map and stock multiplayer maps before launching Halo.

I think about ~5% of users are on the older alpha now. Since I just released an update, I'll have to record the stats again. It could be even lower now. They should be able to update, it's not broken for them (as of currently, and no, "Update HaloMD" is not a real server but a fake one that shows up on the lobby if you're on an older version).
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:46 am

Is there a way to make a map uploader into the MD database?
I wanted to play a logmod and have the map automatically download for people, but I don't know how to add it to the db.

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:44 am

A map uploader is what I wanted to, I was trying to implimate it in HDM, but they don't like it. Maybe they can make an map uploader literally in the app of MD.
For now to upload a mod to the database you have to PM nil with a template as:

-Download link
-Full name of mod.
-Version (Build number)
-Description

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:39 pm

The Install Mod menu should allow you to right-click a menu item and be taken to the mod's MGM forum topic.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:03 pm

Mods have to be approved. See this thread for how to request the mod to be put on the database. And by the way, keep in mind log mods are not really that joiner-friendly anyway.

The interface for installing mods is pretty primitive. If I leave it as menu items, it's not easy for me to add stuff like linking to MGM topic.. I don't want to add things I don't consider important enough to be there, though.

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:52 pm

There still should be some method for uploading maps that doesn't require approval. If file storage is a concern, you could automatically delete maps from the server that aren't used for a certain time period (or removed when the particular server shuts down). Just because a mod is retarded and glitchy (like logmod) doesn't make it any less fun.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:14 pm

Samuco wrote:There still should be some method for uploading maps that doesn't require approval. If file storage is a concern, you could automatically delete maps from the server that aren't used for a certain time period (or removed when the particular server shuts down). Just because a mod is retarded and glitchy (like logmod) doesn't make it any less fun.
Approval means say, I can get a chance to confirm whether or not the mod is broken (i.e, will it run on more than one system? will it run on the dedi servers? is there something corrupted in the map file? is it not properly renamed via MDRenamer? will it crash?). Automatic submission like in the past with HDM is likely to lead to formatting screw-ups. Otherwise, I'd have to set up some account-system aside from MGM, and it's a whole deal of pain, which would have to be approved anyway. We also have a whole setup for updating mods, which brings another layer of complexity.

I don't believe file storage is a concern.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:17 pm

>I don't want to add things I don't consider important enough to be there, though.

I don't know... informations about what you're going to download are important, i think. I know about the tooltip, but is that enough? There's only so much you can put in a short description of a mod.

I think some sort of extensive description of the mods would be a nice, useful feature.
Like, for example if you go in the mudgorge server nobody'll know what the new weapons do or that ghosts have passenger seats! It'd be great if there was like a ‘mod info’ panel where you could put changelogs and useful information. If not for all mods, at least for those that need it!
(the panel/window/whatever could also contain a link to the mgm release page)
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:33 pm

TaxiService wrote:>I don't want to add things I don't consider important enough to be there, though.

I don't know... informations about what you're going to download are important, i think. I know about the tooltip, but is that enough? There's only so much you can put in a short description of a mod.

I think some sort of extensive description of the mods would be a nice, useful feature.
Like, for example if you go in the mudgorge server nobody'll know what the new weapons do or that ghosts have passenger seats! It'd be great if there was like a ‘mod info’ panel where you could put changelogs and useful information. If not for all mods, at least for those that need it!
(the panel/window/whatever could also contain a link to the mgm release page)
I like this idea.
nil wrote:
Samuco wrote:There still should be some method for uploading maps that doesn't require approval. If file storage is a concern, you could automatically delete maps from the server that aren't used for a certain time period (or removed when the particular server shuts down). Just because a mod is retarded and glitchy (like logmod) doesn't make it any less fun.
Approval means say, I can get a chance to confirm whether or not the mod is broken (i.e, will it run on more than one system? will it run on the dedi servers? is there something corrupted in the map file? is it not properly renamed via MDRenamer? will it crash?). Automatic submission like in the past with HDM is likely to lead to formatting screw-ups. Otherwise, I'd have to set up some account-system aside from MGM, and it's a whole deal of pain, which would have to be approved anyway. We also have a whole setup for updating mods, which brings another layer of complexity.

I don't believe file storage is a concern.
We just need a mod uploader, whether on a website or not, it will make uploading faster and more efficient.
Also not everyone has a MacGamingMods account which would allow a person to mod as of right now...

As for Taxi's idea, I think it will make people not have to "explore" mods when they are playing Halo.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:09 pm

TaxiService wrote:I don't know... informations about what you're going to download are important, i think. I know about the tooltip, but is that enough? There's only so much you can put in a short description of a mod.
If you want a description that people will see, then nope, the tooltip is definitely not enough. I agree that the mod installation could be improved with a lengthy description, image, link to MGM - whatever, just that it requires a lot of effort on my end, and I have to put some thought into it if I were to tackle it correctly. No guarantees here. (Should I invest my time wisely in creating something akin to an app store or a software update listing?). I could do something like sparky said with right clicking on a menu item, but that would be obscure since nobody's going to figure something like that out.

Don't misunderstand though! The description would be for attracting users to download your mod. Their purpose would not be for explaining how your mod works. There is a certain expectation with video game design to be able to play the game, and learn how it works without reading information prior to it (this means things like read me's are absolutely unnecessary). I don't think multiplayer mods are exceptions to this. Even if there was a lengthy description and details, you still can't expect people to read them.

Also don't underestimate people's willingness to try out unfamiliar mods. There's more players than hosts, and players will often go into games where other people are. It just takes one person to try to get a mod set up, and to get to see if the masses like the mod. Think of it like this: if only 10% of players are hosts, then is it only going to be 10% of players that will install mods manually? The rest are just going to join the game afterall, and they expect to be able to join as seamlessly as possible.

"Not all modders have MGM accounts.." Yeah... I think modders *should* create MGM accounts. Gives more incentive for people to come here. Sure, PMing me isn't the best thing, but I don't have anything better at the moment.

Fonzeh
Ranger
Location: "I didn't just take your mom out to dinner. I ate your mom for dinner."

Post by Fonzeh » Thu May 09, 2013 5:37 pm

I think for rounded goodness sake that HaloMD should have a boolean that checks for intel architecture or PPC architecture so the lobby is not only intel dependent so PPC macs can use your app.

Another addition is the ability to see gamespy's servers, if that is at all possible.
G[v]N wrote:HUGE NOTIFICATION
THIS GRAVY HAS BRAINS
Mota-Lev was here 30/4/2010@2:18pm