HaloMD

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Re: HaloMD

Post by nil » Thu May 09, 2013 11:00 pm

1. Cost of supporting PPC > Benefits of supporting PPC. 10.5 (x86) is very difficult as it already is. With that said, I can give you a way to play with MD players if you're on a PPC, but you'll need to PM me.

2. Since a MD user can't join all of the games gamespy lists, displaying all of them would be meaningless. MD has a hidden server-favorites feature if you muck around in the same folder GameData is in. Not recommended for most users, which is why it's hidden.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue May 14, 2013 1:17 am

I converted some maps, tested them, modified them as necessary, etc...

http://www.halodemomods.com/sparkys_sec ... others.zip
http://www.halodemomods.com/sparkys_sec ... e_grid.zip

Outpost 49 has my space bsp now, so the lightmaps are new. I tried it, but darkening the lightmaps does nothing this time, because they only span a very small area of the map and do not enclose the playing area. So you can't darken the map at all unless you change the sky tag settings or some other values.

The maps here are most or all of the maps that I have done that are substantial for playing... and also for the zombies server. We discussed how gametypes are not an option, so I omitted Centrifugal Force which would require all vehicles enabled.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sun May 19, 2013 1:57 pm

Beta 9 is now out. Update from within the app like usual: HaloMD -> Check for Updates...
*Increased chances of hosting a game and having it work by adding a NAT traversal / port mapping technique
*Added a chat icon in the main window at the top-right corner for better visibility
*Added in-game status' in the lobby chatroom that show what game a player is in. Double-clicking on a user joins that game
*Added optional sounds and notifications in the lobby chatroom
*Added linkification to the lobby chatroom for URLs
*Removed older versions of mods in the Mods menu, reducing clutter. These mods are still accessible via sv_map
*Changed default score button from 'F1' to '1'; for existing players, F1 will still work if it's currently mapped
*Improved DNS-lookup and connection reliability, having less vulnerability to hanging
*Fixed bug where lobby indicated a user may be having hosting issues when Halo wasn't even open
*Adding Intel HD Graphics 4000 under list of graphics cards that shouldn't play this game with pixel shaders enabled (because of e.g, invisible rocks)
*Disabled rich-text in the lobby chatroom, capable of causing strange issues
*Added tooltips for descriptions of mods in the Mods menu
*Changed restriction on names allowed in chatroom; only ASCII characters will show up, fixing a possible hang
*When mentioned in lobby chatroom, a badge on the dock pops up when HaloMD is the inactive application
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Ranger

Post by 002 » Fri May 24, 2013 1:47 pm

A bunch of people are complaining that attempting to use campaign crashes the game, and I have the same issue. Can you fix it?

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sat May 25, 2013 8:27 pm

002 wrote:A bunch of people are complaining that attempting to use campaign crashes the game, and I have the same issue. Can you fix it?
Pinpointed and fixed, I believe. Will have to upload another version somewhat soonish, I guess. Thanks for pointing this out. If you hadn't, I may have never known \=.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Thu May 30, 2013 8:50 am

b10 is out. Small update with some fixes, most notably making campaign work again. Internal database changes were made as well (switch from plist to json for database format). And I finally wrote a script to help me automate putting mods on the database, so this should be quicker now.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:20 pm

b11 is out. Mostly a bug-fix update. I think I am going to freeze adding features for sake of stability.

Some of the changes to those interested:
*This should handle downloading mods better, especially ones that are decently large in size. (Better with dealing if a user times out when downloading a mod for a second or so).
*Fixes couple of crashes and one exploit. One of the bugs Samuco ran into (so if you're reading this, I fixed it!)
*mods.json is now gzipped on the database server, meaning a bit less data to download

We've also been working on a new, simple, website in the IRC channel for discovering HaloMD.

http://halomd.net

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:13 am

Ah, very nice site. Simple but elegant. I'll try to get on the IRC more often.
Yarok wrote:There may be a giant dildo protruding from your forehead.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:33 am

I have a suggestion. However, I'll show it instead of saying it:

observe
site archive
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:09 am

Sparky wrote:I have a suggestion. However, I'll show it instead of saying it:

observe
site archive
Thanks. Made some of the changes, will probably revise later (in particular the download link..)

jmllh513

Post by jmllh513 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:37 am

A general overview:
*This should run much better than the Halo Demo because it runs on Intel Macs natively.
*This uses our own lobby. You host games in-game normally, but join games via the launcher.
*This includes Blood Gulch, Barrier, Crossing, and one campaign level - The Silent Cartographer.
**It's easy to install and play other multiplayer mods too.

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:15 am

Made a few theming / chat changes today which some people might like. This is by no means finished so consider it a proof of concept.

Download: http://www.samuco.net/halomd/HaloMD.zip
Source: http://www.samuco.net/halomd/HaloMD-master.zip (idk how to use github yet)

Chat changes:
Private messaging

Code: Select all

/msg <name> <message>
Images

!(<url>)
Ignore

/ignore <name>
Unignore

/unignore <name>

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:55 am

At first I was like "Wtf how did you do that" (referring to 1st screenshot). Then I opened the app and noticed the window was skinned *rolls eyes*

The private messaging concept seems like a good idea. Possibly you could create a contextual right-click menu item in the roster for private messaging (or add as double-click action depending..), which would prepend "/msg nickname " into the chat text field.

For ignore/unignore, make sure you do it by JID because nicknames can change later. (nicknames and JID map one-to-one and I believe I have MDChatRosterElement class or some such).

Don't have time to look at source currently but before proceeding - yes, fork the repo and use git and github.. Ideally, every change corresponds to a commit. If you have multiple changes for a single commit, you are doing it wrong. This is important. Don't mess up. The later you start, the worse..

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:15 pm

Updated the UI and shifted the code to github.

Download: http://www.samuco.net/halomd/HaloMD.zip
Source: https://github.com/ShadovvMoon/HaloMD

Dirk Gently
Commando

Post by Dirk Gently » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:10 am

Can I just ask if you could stop trying to make UIs? It is becoming exceeding clear that you don't understand how the design patterns work on OS X, and on top of that you complete disregard the end user experience. This is ugly to look at, and it is confusing.